2 disc rounds - how to choose?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 2 disc rounds - how to choose?

Postby JimW » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Unless you're super comfortable putting with a midrange then I wouldn't go without a putter. You're more likely to lose strokes by struggling with your putting than having your disc be a little too short or a little too long for a hole.

The Cheetah+Aviar thing is an obvious joke for this sort of thing but it's actually not a bad combo since it gives you a neutral putter and neutral-understable fairway driver. I was actually messing around just yesterday at the local pitch and putt (8 of the 9 holes are 265 or less) throwing my Amp on most holes and I got it dialed in pretty decently. It's longer than I would prefer for something like this and on a windy day I'd probably use a Gazelle instead but it works pretty well even on short holes.

Personally my thought process for playing with a small number of discs goes something like this:

1 - Midrange
2 - Putter and fairway driver
3 - Putter/Mid/Fairway-Distance tweener (like a PD)
4 - Putter/Mid/Fairway/Tweener (I don't typically throw anything faster than a PD, for those that do you'd change the fourth disc to distance)

Once I reach five things aren't so easy to decide on. I could go with another putter, a more under- or overstable mid or fairway, or even a XXX.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:12 pm

JimW wrote:Unless you're super comfortable putting with a midrange then I wouldn't go without a putter. You're more likely to lose strokes by struggling with your putting than having your disc be a little too short or a little too long for a hole.

The Cheetah+Aviar thing is an obvious joke for this sort of thing but it's actually not a bad combo since it gives you a neutral putter and neutral-understable fairway driver. I was actually messing around just yesterday at the local pitch and putt (8 of the 9 holes are 265 or less) throwing my Amp on most holes and I got it dialed in pretty decently. It's longer than I would prefer for something like this and on a windy day I'd probably use a Gazelle instead but it works pretty well even on short holes.

Personally my thought process for playing with a small number of discs goes something like this:

1 - Midrange
2 - Putter and fairway driver
3 - Putter/Mid/Fairway-Distance tweener (like a PD)
4 - Putter/Mid/Fairway/Tweener (I don't typically throw anything faster than a PD, for those that do you'd change the fourth disc to distance)

Once I reach five things aren't so easy to decide on. I could go with another putter, a more under- or overstable mid or fairway, or even a XXX.

I agree with your thought processes here... oh and I was only HALF joking about the Cheetah and Aviar :P
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby PMantle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:36 am

Still not sold on carrying a putter.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 am

PMantle wrote:Still not sold on carrying a putter.

The only way I wouldn't carry a putter is if I had a mid that I was truly comfortable putting with, and most mids don't putt for crap for most people. The added distance you will get from a mid over a putter (which for a lot of people isn't much) isn't going to help you too much if you are missing all your putts because you're trying to putt with a mid.

That's basically the thought process going on there. I don't think I could play a round without a putter. My one disc round would probably be with a putter but I've always liked driving with putters. If anything I may go with a Spider, but they're more putter like in feel than most mids so I can get away with it some. I'm still not sure I'd hit any putts over 10ft consistently with it though.

But if you can putt with your mid and not feel like you're going to miss too many putts that you would have otherwise thought you would hit no prob, then go for it.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:08 am

I can putt pretty well with either a Meteor or a Buzzz, but I don't know if I can putt well enough for this. Mini is this afternoon. If not raining at lunch, I may play a quick 9 with TL/Meteor, then another with Leo/Judge or Dart or Aero just to see. I can throw an Aero pretty far. Other putters - no idea as I never drive with them.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:32 am

what course(s) are you playing?

I would say Fairway/Putter. It doesn't really matter what you throw off the tee. you still have to make putts. You also need to learn to throw putters.

I personally would go Putter/Putter. I play more one disc rounds with just a putter than anything (lunch break rounds etc.)
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 am

keltik wrote:what course(s) are you playing?

I would say Fairway/Putter. It doesn't really matter what you throw off the tee. you still have to make putts. You also need to learn to throw putters.

I personally would go Putter/Putter. I play more one disc rounds with just a putter than anything (lunch break rounds etc.)

Yeah, but you throw far. I cannot imagine a 1 disc with a putter.

The course is http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5531

I'd be able to reach 4 of the 9 holes in 1 with a putter I think. The two longest I cannot reach with a driver.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 am

keltik wrote:
I personally would go Putter/Putter.

I was thinking the same thing to myself... Maybe an OS putter and a stable/US putter.

I don't throw incredibly far, but I'd rather play a 1 disc round with a putter than anything else. I live near Winthrop and would probably do the same thing if I ever had to play the Gold Course with 1 disc. The length of the course wouldn't change the need for a putter for me I don't think.

This also gives me a strange twisted desire to play Winthrop Gold with a Pure now...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:13 am

I don't throw that far. but looking at the course you linked I would definitely go Fairway/Putter. I would also consider Mamba/Putter. The Mamba is just such a fun disc to throw. I would also suggest doing putter only rounds there. site unseen only holes 1 and 5 would be "un-deucable" for you. They would be undeucable with just a putter for me as well. All the rest are deuceable with a true putter. this is all based on the numbers and not having seen the course.

Crosseyed I would also like to play Winthrop Gold with just a Pure...if there is low wind just a Polecat...
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 am

keltik wrote:Crosseyed I would also like to play Winthrop Gold with just a Pure...if there is low wind just a Polecat...

Rarely is there low enough wind during what I consider playing season for that :P
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 am

I know this too but I can dream can't I!
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby PMantle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 am

keltik wrote:I don't throw that far. but looking at the course you linked I would definitely go Fairway/Putter. I would also consider Mamba/Putter. The Mamba is just such a fun disc to throw. I would also suggest doing putter only rounds there. site unseen only holes 1 and 5 would be "un-deucable" for you. They would be undeucable with just a putter for me as well. All the rest are deuceable with a true putter. this is all based on the numbers and not having seen the course.

Crosseyed I would also like to play Winthrop Gold with just a Pure...if there is low wind just a Polecat...

I do have a Mamba and I do love it now. Hmmmmm.

Powered down, it doesn't turn over. The more I think about it, the more it makes some sense.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 am

According to inbounds, my current putters line up like this distance wise:

Wedge(super flippy though)
Zone
Ion/Dart
Wizard
Aero
Magic
Magnet
Judge

I would not have predicted this at all. The Judge and Aero seem particularly out of place. Zone is too new and overstable for me to use it. Ion or Dart seem like good candidates, but I putt better with my Wizard and do like throwing it hard.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am

Take the one you putt the best with.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby bsnone1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 am

After seeing the course layout, I know I would definitely go midrange/putter for a two disc round. I go about 250-260 with my mids (not sure where you are), thus 7 of the holes *could* be within the circle off of the tee. The other two holes leave interesting upshots which are well within the range of a putter or a powered down/standstill mid. Ugh, the more I read this thread the more I realize that I need to go out and do this...
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment