Bardu's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bardu's Bag

Postby Bardu » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:59 pm

I tested the Rivers a bunch today and I got good flights out of them. Longer than my eagles and with a flight similar to my beat dx eagle I just lost. When I beat in my new dx, we'll see how the distances compare. They are getting long glidey flights that hold the high speed turn really gently and fading out for most distance, I'm throwing them a little higher than the eagles. They can definitely take more speed too. Makes my eagles feel almost like my rocs did when I really got a handle on my eagles. A couple criticisms things though... I don't like the plastic as much as Innova's, as funny as that might sound. I do tend to prefer innova discs. They don't feel all that great in my hand and I'm not a big fan of the domes. Also, there is the overlap with the dx eagle. Also I tend to be minimalist and I definitely prefer to use as few discs as possible so as to really spend some time with them. Should I try at something faster since it is essentially (or literally) going to be my distance driver (sidewinder, pd)?
Bardu
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:49 am

The Sidewinder and the PD are very different discs even accounting for the large variation between PD plastics. The Sidewinder is quite understable and new P PDs fade hard and are quite HSS breaking in to slipping some gliding ok going farther. I would not try other plastics for PD but honestly at 400'+ with warp speeders i don't really get more real distance from the PD than the River but the average D with the Sidewinder (touchy and not for winds) is better than with the PD or the Eagle. For an in between stability for winders and PDs going as far as the winder for my power the Beast is great because it is not flippy and can handle winds nicely. I mean the kind of Beasts in other plastics than DX made since about 2009 or 2010. I recommend a light Pro Beast. Earlier Beasts were less HSS. There is a but though the power requirement for the River is weird and the Beast likes power. Both can fade out at under 400' power so they may be long for the lucky rips and normally be shorter and earlier fading.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bardu » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 am

I have tested both the rivers and a star sidewinder. The rivers were pretty good, but they overlapped almost completely with my dx eagles. To push them out further really felt like I was overextending and it was easier to get distance out of the sidewinder. That said I got some nice curvy flights out of the sw, but after throwing it a bit I don't think I am ready for that speed disc yet. I feel like I would my best choice for an understable driver would be a champ Leo, but I'm still thinking I can get those kind of flights out of my dx eagles.

So re-evaluating my bag, I dropped down to just eagles for driving and a firebird for utility. There is alot of overlap between kc and dx eagles and I always reach for dx anyway so I dropped the kcs.

Took my simplified setup to my first sanctioned tournament yesterday. My score was not impressive, but I learned alot watching others. I didn't really feel like I was missing anything im my bag and I clearly have a long way to go to learn the discs I carry right now.
Bardu
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:46 pm

OK sounds like your preference is to throw low power requirement discs that go far relative to the effort mostly being under 100 % that you can generate. In which case DX Eagles are not bad but can be improved on with the Timberwolf from Daredevil Discs. It is basically a primo plastic Eagle L in tacky somewhat soft material but not terribly floppy so it can take 400' power and fly consistently but glide farther than the Eagles. Some Discmania FDs could work too but not high PLH C FDs. Domey S FDs from the first runs were domier than C FDs and much lower PLH with less power requirement and more glide. Right now i cannot think of anything that would go farther than the Eagles with roughly similar power input since the River is scratched off from the list.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Hyzerline49 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am

a champ or star TL might be a good choice. it has great glide, and requires very little power to throw while still remaining fairly stable. in my experience, i consistently threw them about 30' further than teebirds (which have a similar power requirement to an eagle) on 70-80% power shots.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby Hyzerline49 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 am

a champ or star TL might be a good choice. it has great glide, and requires very little power to throw while still remaining fairly stable. in my experience, i consistently threw them about 30' further than teebirds (which have a similar power requirement to an eagle) on 70-80% power shots.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby Bardu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 am

I simplified my bag a bit and I am very happy with it. I have been sticking to this setup for sometime, it is very similar to the bag everyone told me to stick to and learn to throw all shots with. This is just a slightly more bare bones version. I dropped the kc rocs and star eagle, just because I always reach for my other rocs and eagles.

Drivers
170 Champ Firebird- utility
165 Champ Eagle X
169 DX Eagle X
168 DX Eagle X

Midrange
173 DX Roc- new
172 DX Roc- seasoned
171 DX Roc- beat

Putters
172 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
165 Medium Wizard- beat, upshots

I can handle most shots I come across. My dx eagles are beat in enough to handle understable duties pretty well. I'm sure I could slightly more distance with another mold, but I enjoy learning to throw the shots with the discs I have. Having fewer molds helps me to concentrate on my form, and I really feel I need to stick to fairways considering my power level. I am really more concerned with learning to throw lines and developing good form than immediate success.

One question though. I would like to add a teebird to the bag, probably a dx and champ. Not that it would add anything, and I'm sure they would overlap with my eagles. But I've been wanting to give them another go for a while since they would be very rewarding and teach me lines I need to learn. Plus I love innova fairways. Thoughts?
Bardu
Noob

Postby Bardu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Well I tried a couple of TeeBirds, and immediately felt more confident with them than the Eagles. They held lines better, I felt I had more control and distance, and the glide is crazy. I have a dx and champ. I cut my eagles for the time being to spend some time working with the teebirds and to see if they can cover all my shots.

Drivers
170 Champ Firebird
167 Champ TeeBird
165 DX TeeBird

Midrange
173 DX Roc
172 DX Roc
171 DX Roc

Putters
172 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard

I'm curious how to handle my rocs. I tend to reach for my beat dx 171 in all situations, I wonder why I even bother carrying the others sometimes.
Bardu
Noob

Postby Bardu » Tue May 14, 2013 6:09 am

It's been about a month with the teebirds now and this time has coincided with the weather warming up here as well. Haven't so much as touched an eagle! My distance is considerably longer and the discs are moving visibly faster. It certainly might be the weather and that I'm wearing less bulky clothing to hamper my form. But I've spent a pretty good amount of time practicing over the last two years, and it feels like it is paying off.

The way I use the teebirds is definitely different than I used to use the eagles. I am always puting some amount of hyper on them and am throwing pure hyzers or hyzer flipping them. They definitely lock and hold a line better than eagles, I feel like they can take more speed and glide like crazy. They will NOT anny for me though. I do relatively miss the long graceful annys I could get off the eagles and also the relatively effortless s-curves (I have gotten one s-curve out of a TeeBird and it wasn't intentional). But I'm sticking with the teebirds only in an effort to really learn them and again find out what holes I have.

I could easily play with just a single soft wizard, DX roc, DX TeeBird and my champ firebird. But it's really handy to keep backups around for second shots, field work and risky shots. I cut the champ TeeBird (will return to one later) because it just can't compare to the DX in distance and I can throw my DX easily in the wind and on hyzers. If I need to fade really hard I will use the firebird. My DX roc now covers longer annys.

So the bag is quite minimalist right now, but it has been very effective. I think 2013 will be a good year. :)
Bardu
Noob

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion