Starfire-L

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Starfire-L

Postby bsnone1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am

Any opinions/comparisons for innova's Starfire-L? The numbers look like a more stable beast? I'm thinking of picking one up but wanted hear a few thoughts from those who have tossed one before shelling out $17...

Thanks!~
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Re: Starfire-L

Postby keltik » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:43 am

$17 for an SL? The SL is the same as the Pro Starfire (or it used to be). From the looks of it they may be putting that mold OoP (out of production). And I think they should. It is too close to an Orc to really warrant an existence.

I haven't thrown one in a while but I do remember that you need a good bit of power to get the workable turn out of it. That being said the Orc is an easier disc to throw and work lines with. Haven't thrown one of those in a while either.

The SL/Orc/Beast range of discs got kinda weird for Innova. Here you have 3 discs that basically did the same thing (assuming old mold Beast). They would go straight and fade softly on a low fast line for the weaker arms and they would naturally turn and fade back left for power players. They just each did it at slightly different increments. So Innova then twerked the Beast mold and ruined it in many people's opinions. the Beast however is still a big seller and a popular disc with newer players so the tweak may have been a boon after all. The Orc has kinda seen its own renaissance lately with people looking for something between the Boss/Katana speed fare and the Teebird. But the Orc was mainly overshadowed by the Wraith. The SL (and the Starfire for that matter) never really gained traction in the market outside of power players and female players largely thanks to the Jenkins kids.

Not knowing what you already have in your bag and what you need or are looking for in this disc I can't really say yay or nay. My gut tells me to say pass.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby bsnone1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm looking for something with a smaller rim width than the wraith that has a similar flight path / consistency as a teebird. I thought perhaps that the SL might fit this mold but perhaps the Orc is a better fit?
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby PMantle » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 pm

bsnone1 wrote:I'm looking for something with a smaller rim width than the wraith that has a similar flight path / consistency as a teebird. I thought perhaps that the SL might fit this mold but perhaps the Orc is a better fit?

I think the SL is good there, but I pay $9.89 for the Pro Starfire version.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Star Shark » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:39 am

The Star SL is being discontinued, but the SL will still be made in Pro. The orc is basically a slower wraith tho.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:47 am

Orcs that were manufactured later become flippy when new and Beasts were changed in 2009 or 2010 to become straighter.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment