Disc Golf 3D Video Game

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf 3D Video Game

Postby JR » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm

There is a reason or a few why people need to be exact outside of science too at time at least. Making untrue claims is not palatable for me either and if somebody calls it out my take is that it is not douchey.

nuclearnova the answer to your question of who would want to throw a shot like that is a disc golfer. There are lots of players in the top ranks that throw over trees and that kind of flight path will not shorten the flight of a real disc in real world. Up to 2000 world distance records were thrown on that line. Since then hyzer flips have carried farther. That line is also good for right turning fairways and mandos that need to be passed on the left side and then the fairway turns right. Those holes exist.

Not having an Apple i cannot say anything about your game other than it is good that it exists.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:58 am

JHern wrote:No, I take the subject seriously. Would you rather that nobody took it seriously?

Feel free to tune out any time PMantle, you only just tuned in a few months ago. This discussion has been ongoing at DGR since 2008, and probably long before that. DGCR might be more appealing for you, if name-calling is all you're interested in doing.

It is a game. I repeat. It is a game.

I never called anyone a name. I refered to a post.

I am a member at DGCR, but I prefer this board, even if it is a bit slow. If you don't like your posts being called out, by two posters, not one, maybe stop making that kind of post.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby what'shisname » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:28 am

JHern wrote:
PMantle wrote:
what'shisname wrote:jhern, you sure do take yourself pretty seriously, eh?
Glad somebody said it. That post was douchetacular.

No, I take the subject seriously. Would you rather that nobody took it seriously?

JHern wrote:Yeah, I realize this game is more about having the skill to hit a button at just the right time, and less to do with understanding the physics of disc flight. And I confess I'm not a video game player, I've never liked them my entire life.

Just so we're on the same page here.... the actual subject is the video game.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JHern » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

PMantle wrote:...I never called anyone a name. I refered to a post...

Parse it however you like, it amounts to the same thing.

what'shisname wrote:...Just so we're on the same page here.... the actual subject is the video game.

I'm not the one who introduced "realistic physics" into the discussion...see the OP. If the OP had mentioned naked women in the video game, then surely that would also have been fair game for discussion.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

JHern wrote:Parse it however you like, it amounts to the same thing.

Meh, you just overreacted. No big deal. It's not even close to the same thing.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby veganray » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm

Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby JR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:46 pm

Gotta love marketing disposable douche. It sounds like the name of a rock band. How's this slogan? These nappies are like a band of rock around your waist so your waste can be rock hard and you still rock out hard. Apologies :lol: Sometimes it is just too hard to not laugh at the desperate methods with which people try to push wares. Antimarketing=pulling the rug from under the feet of the yahoos can be fun -sarcasm :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

Do they make the non-disposables anymore?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:20 am

PMantle wrote:It is a game. I repeat. It is a game.
That's only an excuse when you don't even try to aim for realism with your game. Where would flight sims and racing sims be if they didn't try to model all of the physics as accurately as the developers can make them run on the platform they're designing them for? The tone of JHern's posts might have been a bit harsh, but the idea was totally correct, if you're actually going to market something as a realistic disc golf game and it doesn't even try to model some of the most fundamental things that golf discs do, then you're lying to some extent.

That's actually the problem with all the disc golf games I've ever tried, they don't take the dynamics of disc golf into account properly. Sure, they can be fun for a while, but the longevity suffers greatly from the very static nature of the physics. A good racing simulator can stay interesting and engaging for over a decade, because just like racing cars in real life is great fun and doesn't really get that old, the dynamic nature of the physics in those sims also keeps them from starting to feel repetitive. Two good examples are Grand Prix Legends from 1998 and Richard Burns Rally from 2004, both of which are still very actively played in the sim racing world. Other sims from that far back aren't as actively played anymore because usually they've had sequels or direct replacements made since them, but those two haven't. Considering how dynamic the physics of disc golf in real life are w.r.t. power, spin, lift, drag, wind, angles etc. I can't really see a reason it wouldn't benefit in the exact same way from a properly realistic implementation of physics, making the game even more entertaining and for a longer time (and you could also pretty easily put in a dumbed down arcade mode for those that want a simple quick experience), and frankly that's the only type of disc golf game I'd really be interested in.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 am

While accurate lying is a harsh word considering most marketing and politics is the same or worse.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 am

JR wrote:While accurate lying is a harsh word considering most marketing and politics is the same or worse.
I have no problem saying they're lying as well. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby nuclearnova » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Several updates later I'm ready to add a new course for 1.08 (1.07 has been approved by Apple and will be released any time now), so I figure I'd ask for some suggestions. Rather than copy a real course I'm going to design a custom course, so any suggestions are welcome. How would you like it to compare to the last courses? Harder/easier, longer/shorter, higher/lower par, more/less tree density, more/less dogleg and curves, more/less elevation change, ect. I'll start work on this early next week so the more info the better!

PS - 1.07 notes
Added tomahawk throw
Added forehand putt animation
New discs available for in-app purchase
Added non-fixed width fonts to certain areas
Faster loading time
Fixed scorecard distances from blue/green tees
Physics tweaks
Fixed several bad font characters
Notification system for Nuclear Nova Software announcements
Optimized project code - Faster and less buggy
nuclearnova
Noob

Favorite Disc: avier

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.