MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby Druid » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:54 pm

I've been using several MVP discs for a month or so, and have come to the conclusion (Vs. other similar discs from other manufacturers ie: TI Wasp vs. Vector, Z Buzzz vs. Axis etc.) that the plastic is just too slippery and it's killing my scores. I have both Proton and Neutron discs and the Neutron is slightly better, but mot by much. Does anyone have any tips on how to make them grippier? (Other than rubbing tree sap on my hands ;) ) I went back to my mostly Discraft bag and my scores dropped back down like magic.

I love the flight of the MVP discs though. Don't get me wrong...but why can't they make the plastic a little tackier/gummier? A few other people have said the same thing in this thread and I foolishly didn't listen...:(
Dart/Roc3/Whippet/Firebird/Leopard/Roadrunner/Teebird/Destroyer/DD2/Ape
Druid
Noob

Favorite Disc: DD2

Postby JR » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Hand warmers chemical (there are disposable ones and shorter warming reusable ones) or electrical will keep the skin tackier and bees wax is ecological. Mark Ellis suggested Pow'r Tac IIRC but the problem for me is that i haven't found a source on this side of the pond yet.

Another thing you could do is to get a super thin yet durable material glove with minimal to no seams and apply rubber cement to it. So far i tried that with a kangaroo skin top fabric inner UGS golf glove that has some seam in the tips of the fingers and the grip was excellent but the added pressure ripped the kangaroo leather and the rubber cement off in one short field practice session. I've yet to apply more rubber cement on just the fabric. It needs to be tried.

Some working gloves could work. Nitrile starts out tacky but dries within a season to not as grippy but ok. There are some gloves that have a grippy rough surface but they come in so many varieties and might not be available the next year so who knows happy hunting on those. Some of those gloves are too thick or stiff to bend around a disc and allow a good grip and some have a too slick hard material. I need gloves for warmth in the colder season and i found Finnish manufacturer of work gloves called Patron (not the Mexi tequila distiller) that made a too thick but great grip glove so i've been thinking of cutting off some of the material. before i do that i'll try to rubber cement some thin fabric only gloves though. It seems that rubber cement cannot take the pressures involved for more than a session but i'm ok with that since i have a tube waiting to dry on its own anyway. So yeah living in a cold wet country makes you try all sorts of wacky ideas.

We've had just below to a little over freezing temps and on Thursday i was throwing gloved first and with two finger power grip to three to four and got slips even with four fingers annied four hours into the session when i was dog tired. Annies need more grip strength than other throws and i had some slips with flat shots especially when i did not concentrate on gripping harder and tried to keep the grip loose and pinch late and was late on the pinch. With that said i got the least slips ever and the hardest average ripping sensations from the fingers with two finger power grip. Which in low to high 30s F temps was previously unachievable for me with FLX discs and now i had C Line and TP plastics that are on the slickest side of the spectrum. Which made me think that i gotta take my MVPs out for a spin.

My grip strength has increased some from working out (yay!) and it does help in eliminating slipping but i have ways to go. MVPs are the acid test for me. It is dry but cold now on my practice field and that makes it easier than normal worst wet conditions though. But i really hope my MVPs won't gather dust for as large part of the year as they have for being too slick to score well and be trusted when it is dry. Who knows with enough toweling maybe wet conditions too will become better with the added grip strength when the temps go up. And now i can keep my electric warmer with me all year round so even rain on a warm day that tends to cool down my dry slick skin to slippy could be countered. Fingers crossed and yes i realize that rain plus electrical appliances is a dangerous proposition. That is why it sits in a ZipLoc equivalent water tight bag already during the winter time. Yup it's gonna snow today and tomorrow here bye bye the first signs of spring :twisted:
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby evankrob » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:29 pm

no conversation about the Nano?
evankrob
Noob

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby JR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:18 am

What is the Nano?

I took MVP discs out yesterday and had slips with gloves that have shed off most of the rubber cement i put them on. It was too cold to throw without gloves since i intentionally wore little restricting lighter clothing and it started to snow. If i clenched hard i got fewer slips but they were there for Proton and Neutron discs Ion, Anode and Axis. It is not so bad as it sounds because i was using a two finger power grip only. I need to check out three and four finger grips and bare skin throws later. Hope the snow melts soon.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:22 am

JR wrote:What is the Nano?

Best guess is that it is a mini, but all MVP has released is the name and a picture of about a quarter of the disc. There is already a 20 page thread over at DGCR where several people have probably already listed it as their workhorse driver. Please disperse, there is nothing to see here.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 am

discmonkey42 wrote:

There is already a 20 page thread over at DGCR where several people have probably already listed it as their workhorse driver.

and "BEST FLYING DISC OF ALL TIME".
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby evankrob » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 am

I took MVP discs out yesterday and had slips with gloves that have shed off most of the rubber cement i put them on. It was too cold to throw without gloves since i intentionally wore little restricting lighter clothing and it started to snow. If i clenched hard i got fewer slips but they were there for Proton and Neutron discs Ion, Anode and Axis. It is not so bad as it sounds because i was using a two finger power grip only. I need to check out three and four finger grips and bare skin throws later. Hope the snow melts soon.

no idea, was hoping someone knew and that it was more than the mini.

I don't have any slip problems with my MVPs other than the Ion, i can't drive with that thing to save my life. of course in NC here we don't usually have to wear gloves :D
evankrob
Noob

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby Druid » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions JR. I'm sure they'll come in handy in the winter. In Canada (Toronto area) it's warm-ish and dry right now though, and I hate wearing gloves. I was actually thinking that I wouldn't have a problem back when it was cold and wet, but the problem seemed just as bad when spring rolled around. I was thinking of something I could do tothe actual disc, like some kind of weak acid that migh put a little bit of a texture on it or something.
Dart/Roc3/Whippet/Firebird/Leopard/Roadrunner/Teebird/Destroyer/DD2/Ape
Druid
Noob

Favorite Disc: DD2

Postby what'shisname » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Druid wrote:Thanks for the suggestions JR. I'm sure they'll come in handy in the winter. In Canada (Toronto area) it's warm-ish and dry right now though, and I hate wearing gloves.

Hoping for warm and dry out there later this month. I'm going to be out there for a wedding and am going to go and get a round in on the island on the morning of the 27th.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 am

I think the Nano thing may be their lighter weight discs. or an over extended April Fool's joke.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Monocacy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:43 am

keltik wrote:I think the Nano thing may be their lighter weight discs.

That would be sweet. MVP has been dropping out of my bag because of the difficulty finding lightweight putters and mids, and because of the slippery-when-wet factor. I wonder if the MVP plastic wizards (not Wizards) could produce a blizzard flight plate. The bubbles could add grip, and reducing weight in the flight plate would enable MVP to hit the old-guy market while enhancing the gyro factor.

keltik wrote:or an over extended April Fool's joke.

Most likely, imo. I suspect a mini.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Bees wax and Pow'r Tac are other options for getting tackier discs. Or switching manufacturer. Vibram medium Sole drives well and is tacky for one season.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Leopard » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Ha, Nano's not an April Fools' joke. I believe the news they've got for the fans is so freaking exciting that any speculation anxiety around the Nano will seem delightfully insignificant. Read this again in a few days, and then again later, and accept my apologies for being a vague little girl about it. Back to work!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby steezo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:34 pm

its been a couple of days you vag little girl.

Leopard wrote:Ha, Nano's not an April Fools' joke. I believe the news they've got for the fans is so freaking exciting that any speculation anxiety around the Nano will seem delightfully insignificant. Read this again in a few days, and then again later, and accept my apologies for being a vague little girl about it. Back to work!
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby sunspot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

Yay a mini :roll:
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment