The Fury

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Fury

Postby JR » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't even know which ones are more common the OS Vision i have or at one time most common in shops really flippy ones that many seemed to love. I have two yellow tall dome high PLH Opto flows that are heavier than my won't break in 166 Pro Wraith and a long but with less fade. Half a notch JFC scale i'd say. At full power the Opto Flows don't flip at all for me in calm conditions. The blue GL is an out of the box roller though.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Got one of these yesterday. The surprise of the pack. As long for me as the renegade I wanted. Maybe longer. Much longer than the Flow I got. Second Flow I've failed with. I truly hate that discs. A shame too, as it was beautiful in GL.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Reviving this thread: I got a Fury just for the heck of it, Opto 170g, production run. Interesting disc, flies like a grown up Diamond like Lat 64 alludes to, or like a Saint w/out fade if you prefer. Very straight under lower power, but difficult to control at 350 ft and beyond. It shines at anhyzer drives. And hyzer flip if you can keep it from flipping over too far. I imagine the GL version would be even less useful.

Funny, some of the more "noodle-armed" on DGCR are going gaga over the Fury, claiming it "bombs" and "this is my new distance driver", etc. IMO, it's better suited for medium-long holes thrown at less than full power, or as a fairway driver w/out fade.

Any others throwing this disc? Thoughts?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:19 pm

It bombs. It's my main driver when I carry a speed limit bag.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Depends on your definition of "bombs", I guess. To me, discs like the Nuke, Boss, and Destroyer bomb, because if you have the power to get them up to speed they will crush a disc like the Fury. Different class of driver. Agree with the lower speed bag comment, but better have something more stable than the Fury in there too. You know...fade left, hyzers, headwind.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:27 am

I top out at 400' with my silver gl on a hyzer flip to flat drive. Not much shorter than Beasts and warp speeders.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 am

BentElbow11 wrote:Depends on your definition of "bombs", I guess. To me, discs like the Nuke, Boss, and Destroyer bomb, because if you have the power to get them up to speed they will crush a disc like the Fury. Different class of driver. Agree with the lower speed bag comment, but better have something more stable than the Fury in there too. You know...fade left, hyzers, headwind.
I have two Escapes of different stabilities I throw in there. A freak Star Valk with no turn at all. But then again, I rarelly am throwing directly into heavy winds. Trying to see if a Bandit is better than the Fury, but I ended up with one of the flippier ones. Makes my Fury feel like a Firebird. Dead down wind only for now. May end up being my roller, as we have two new holes where a roller may be my best option.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:36 am

PMantle wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:Depends on your definition of "bombs", I guess. To me, discs like the Nuke, Boss, and Destroyer bomb, because if you have the power to get them up to speed they will crush a disc like the Fury. Different class of driver. Agree with the lower speed bag comment, but better have something more stable than the Fury in there too. You know...fade left, hyzers, headwind.
I have two Escapes of different stabilities I throw in there. A freak Star Valk with no turn at all. But then again, I rarelly am throwing directly into heavy winds. Trying to see if a Bandit is better than the Fury, but I ended up with one of the flippier ones. Makes my Fury feel like a Firebird. Dead down wind only for now. May end up being my roller, as we have two new holes where a roller may be my best option.

Okay
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:48 am

JR wrote:I top out at 400' with my silver gl on a hyzer flip to flat drive. Not much shorter than Beasts and warp speeders.

How do you keep a GL Fury from flipping too far right at 400'? My 170g Opto was almost impossible to keep from drifting right at 350' and up, with a hyzer flip. And no OAT involved, I use a slight hyzer release by default and rely on snap more than arm. I throw understable stuff...RR, Mamba, Diamond. The Fury's understable, just like it says on the top of the disc. I question the -2,2 rating. There's no fade. The Saint has a small fade by comparison, this has none.

No, not much shorter than Beasts, but Beasts aren't particularly long...and 1.9cm vs 2.0cm. I was throwing my Fury at a field alongside a 169g VIP Northman, and the Northman was consistently longer...dozens of throws. The Northman has a wider rim and is speed 10 vs speed 9. It also can take more power.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:18 am

That is disc variance for you. We might have form differencences that have some bearing on flipping. I have more spin than others and less than some. Normally i am at 50 mph with 20 revs per second. Records are 57 and 24. Disc pivot and finger pinch strength helps to spin the disc. I am audibly less powerful in the fingers as 500' and over throwers and really poor in the active wrist snap and the stopping of the wrist. My injuries prevent me from training into shape there. I have tried but it takes time.

Dx and old Beasts flip more than four year olds and later ones. My Fury fades less than my unusually flippy Saint gl blue 168. I put about 4-5 degrees of hyzer to a flat flip to 400' on the Fury and more height than the Beast. For me Beasts of the straighter kind fade so late that it drops later than most discs. I have plenty of Beasts because it is my main driver and each of them flips less than that Fury. So you defo need a better Beast. When you get one you might be set hehe. I would look at a more normal Saint and use that silver gl Fury as the main driver if there were no Beasts. The Fury suits me the second best.

My Northmen lack glide and are slow fading out shorter than the Beast and i can give everything i have to the Beast. Beast is 10' longer than Fury and easier to get out farther on average than the Fury andvi have never gotten 400' out of Northmen even though i have 155 164 and 175 vips. Westside makes several protos and pick one and seeing as many of their discs have changed over time i think they throw the first runs and listen to customer feedback and make changes accordingly. I have heard of flipping Northmen my at release bought ones do not without wind and i top out at 390' with the 155 and 164 and a little less with 175. Theyvcan take full power as well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 am

My 170g Opto Fury has a normal modest dome and PLH that isn't unusually low. I use a 3 finger power grip, and on occasion a 2 finger, so I get more spin vs power/speed. As mentioned, I also rely on snap more than arm. It's one reason I've always taken to Lat 64 and Westside discs. Get lots of spin on them and their superior glide shines.

IMO, there's no way a Fury, especially a GL, is staying straight at 400 ft. The disc has too much turn and virtually no fade.

Northman...slow yes, glideless no. The Northman rivals the River in glide. Some are more overstable, almost Wraith-like, while others are pretty neutral...Opto vs GL, domey vs flat.

The Fury's a nice disc, but I wouldn't trust it at 400 ft on courses. The Beast and even the Valkyrie(which I think the Fury was designed to mimic) are both more stable, IMO.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:41 am

Star Valks are more OS than my Fury and Champs are pretty equal to my Fury. I have heard people getting flippy Northmen that have almost zero fade. Mine are more HSS and LSS than that. Those that had flippy Northmen said that they do glide. The ones i have are fairly close to premium plastic VAlks that are modest in their glide. Even a DX Valk glides better but you are correct in that Lat and Westside discs generally tend to glide better. Some S FDs are also superior in glide to the Northmen i have and that is saying a lot when the FDs are heavy and the lightest Northman i have is a 155. I own one of the King protos and boy is it different to the production ones. In fact the first run and visually the later production models even with all the variations are different from the three protos the owner of Westside discs showed to the players in the Finnish season starter competition some years back prior to the release of the Kings. He and his buddies arrange that event Meilahden Millenniumi.

Don't get me wrong i cannot release my Fury flat and keep it flat to 400'. I release it with a hyzer angle out of my hand and it flips to flat. And it is not too forgiving of misses in hyzer angle but most discs won't lock to flat despite some user error anyway. The beefier current kind of Beasts are better for that and need so little hyzer compensation at full tilt that i have way more security in using them for flights that are flat most of the flight. But get the hyzer flip right and any disc can flip from initial hyzer to flat with a perfect shot. It is a tall order in winds with discs that are so touchy as my Fury. If you have a more understable disc than mine the task is even more punishing to get right every time. And i still stick to my Beasts for added ease and safety so my Fury is not the be all end all of sub max D straight drivers. It is great though especially for say 370' and under throwers in calm to mild wind conditions.

My Fury is more HSS, LSS and faster thus longer than any River i have got.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:04 am

My Fury is not nearly as understable as a lot of my other discs. Must be a good deal of variance. This new Bandit is way more understable, but it's longer downwind.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 am

JR wrote:Star Valks are more OS than my Fury and Champs are pretty equal to my Fury. I have heard people getting flippy Northmen that have almost zero fade. Mine are more HSS and LSS than that. Those that had flippy Northmen said that they do glide. The ones i have are fairly close to premium plastic VAlks that are modest in their glide. Even a DX Valk glides better but you are correct in that Lat and Westside discs generally tend to glide better. Some S FDs are also superior in glide to the Northmen i have and that is saying a lot when the FDs are heavy and the lightest Northman i have is a 155. I own one of the King protos and boy is it different to the production ones. In fact the first run and visually the later production models even with all the variations are different from the three protos the owner of Westside discs showed to the players in the Finnish season starter competition some years back prior to the release of the Kings. He and his buddies arrange that event Meilahden Millenniumi.

Don't get me wrong i cannot release my Fury flat and keep it flat to 400'. I release it with a hyzer angle out of my hand and it flips to flat. And it is not too forgiving of misses in hyzer angle but most discs won't lock to flat despite some user error anyway. The beefier current kind of Beasts are better for that and need so little hyzer compensation at full tilt that i have way more security in using them for flights that are flat most of the flight. But get the hyzer flip right and any disc can flip from initial hyzer to flat with a perfect shot. It is a tall order in winds with discs that are so touchy as my Fury. If you have a more understable disc than mine the task is even more punishing to get right every time. And i still stick to my Beasts for added ease and safety so my Fury is not the be all end all of sub max D straight drivers. It is great though especially for say 370' and under throwers in calm to mild wind conditions.

My Fury is more HSS, LSS and faster thus longer than any River i have got.

Okay, I can agree with the above.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am

PMantle wrote:My Fury is not nearly as understable as a lot of my other discs. Must be a good deal of variance. This new Bandit is way more understable, but it's longer downwind.

The Bandit is supposed to be more understable than the Fury. And sure, there are a lot of discs more understable than the Fury. My Fury is moderately understable, as advertised. What I was questioning is keeping a Fury, that turns easily, straight at 400' of power.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment