Looking to update my bag with some new toys

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking to update my bag with some new toys

Postby Jank » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:52 pm

I typically throw 300' driver, 250 midrange and 200 putter. I probably use too much arm and not enough technique. I'm going to try and fix that this year.

You ever get the feeling like you want some new discs though to freshen your game a bit and make it more exciting? I've been using this same bag for about 2 years and just replacing discs that get lost. Wondering if you could give me some suggestions on improvements or lateral moves?

Valkryie (DX plastic) - I use this mostly when I have alot of open space and I want a long S curve
Beat in Valk (DX Plastic) - I use this for high speed turnover shots cause I don't have a flick really.
Valkrye (Star plastic 171) - I use this when there's alot of trees so I don't ruin my DX version or when I don't need as big of an S curve
Predator (High overstable 173) - I use this when I need a heavy left turn overstable disc. Or I use this for a blade or sometimes trick shots.
Orion LF (Long fade 170ish) - This was recommended to me as a good into the wind disc
Teebird - I use this for a 250-275 fairway drive which needs to be precise
Buzz midrange - I am coming from an ultimate frisbee background and this felt more like an ultimate disc then the Roc did. The roc seemed to not hang up in the air as long or float.
Wizard putter - I like the feel of the putter but I'm not very good with it but I'm getting better.

Any thoughts you can gimme would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some possibilities might be some Blizzard plastic like a wraith. Or I could go with a Discraft flash. Or a DX destroyer?
Jank
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valk

Re: Looking to update my bag with some new toys

Postby Stringbean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 am

If you like your Orion LF, you could try the Orion LS to replace the Valkryie's. SImilar distance, but slightly straighter.

You could try a Leopard, Patriot, Trak, or River to fill the understable fairway driver slot.

Do you use the Buzz when throwing into the wind? You stated that you preferred the Buzz over the Roc but the Roc tends to handle wind better. No reason you can't carry both.

MVP's lineup will give you have a unique flight... the Anode (putter) is a lot of fun off the tee. Can't go wrong with their fairway drivers. The Tangent (mid) has been getting a lot of positive reviews.

A Vibram disc (rubber) would be something different to try... Ibex, Trak, Summit, Lace are some of their more popular molds.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:02 pm

QOLS is pretty beefy for a 300' thrower so i'd use a MOLS. Lighter GL Rivers could work too. Westside discs Stag could work too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jank » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 pm

I don't understand all the acronyms JR....ugh. I figured out what a QOLS is, when i typed MOLS i get nothing....

Assuming GL River = Latitude Gold Line River....

What do you guys think of blizzards like a blizzard wraith?

Other thoughts from Joe's universal flight chart from gottagogottathrow? Nuke SS?
Last edited by Jank on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jank
Noob

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:35 pm

MOLS is the Orion LS in Millenniums base line plastic.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby PMantle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Jank wrote:I don't understand all the acronyms JR....ugh. I figured out what a QOLS is, when i typed MOLS i get nothing....

Assuming GL River = Latitude Gold Line River....

What do you guys think of blizzards like a blizzard wraith?

Love my Blizz Destroyer. Wraith should be good until it gets beat, but even then it should turn into a super long down wind driver.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Jank » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:14 pm

PMAntle keep in mind I'm a weak arm thrower till i get my technique down learning from JR's secret technique. Wraith appears to be less disc than the destroyer no?

The VIbram Trak seems interesting along with these discs as Valk replacements.

Latitude Saint
Latitude River (maybe more of a teebird replacement than valk)
Discraft Wildcat (I hear it's supposed to be Discraft's answer to the valk)

Heck i'm gonna start a new thread....
Jank
Noob

Postby bsnone1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:28 pm

JR wrote:QOLS is pretty beefy for a 300' thrower so i'd use a MOLS.

This is right on. I can crush my MOLS's (well, crush for me, ~325) but my first run QOLS just stalls out 70% of the time. Feels like an entirely different mold when it is new. Actually think the SOLS is such a nice compromise as, at least where I am, the MOLS's become crazy flippy after just a few quick rounds.

How did your DX valks break in? They get too flippy for me but are sometimes nice for long turnover shots.
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby JR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 am

Jank wrote:PMAntle keep in mind I'm a weak arm thrower till i get my technique down learning from JR's secret technique. Wraith appears to be less disc than the destroyer no?

The VIbram Trak seems interesting along with these discs as Valk replacements.

Latitude Saint
Latitude River (maybe more of a teebird replacement than valk)
Discraft Wildcat (I hear it's supposed to be Discraft's answer to the valk)

Heck i'm gonna start a new thread....

The secret technique is from Blake i practice open source form :-)

Blizzards vary even more than most discs. Sure you can try speed 13 discs but i'm not so sure that they would be the best match for your power. River is in your power range in Gold Line plastic under max weight. Gateway Apache is slower and needs less power to fly straight and Assassin is a better Valkyrie.

My DX Valk was fine in a few field practice sessions until it hit a soccer goal post at i guess 350' and it was a roller since. Before the hit it was the straightest longer than Leopard driver i've seen with a few 400' tosses that i did not notice to fade at all. My straightest long drives ever better than Sidewinders. And longer than Valks in other plastics. The DX Beast lasted maybe two rounds without hard hits but also only a few drives.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion