For Us Older Newbies....

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: For Us Older Newbies....

Postby daleh2013 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 am

Mark,

Well said.....I've only been playing about a year and I do play with a group. But, the person that's closest to me in age is 51...I'm 54. The rest are in their 30's and yes, 20's. Do they throw far? Yup... Do we play from the back tees? Yup... I don't have the distance because yeah, I'm older..and because of an unrepairable detatched bicep (from years of weight training) of my throwing arm but no matter. I can get it out close to 300 so I'll live with it. So, I've taken a different attitude about the whole deal. When I was younger I played a lot of "stick" golf...and hit the ball a mile. I played with some older guys and they destroyed me around the greens...their approaches and short game were phenomenal. So that's what I'm doing now...working on accuracy in approaches and putting. Also, since I can't throw an effective forehand because of the injury I have discs that I can move either way to compensate for it. In doing so my scores have dropped quite a bit so in my own way I'm keeping up with the kids. Besides, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing the look in their eyes when they have been bested by an old guy.

So, I guess I'm saying the same thing you are...."dance with who brung ya" and make the most of what you do have. Work on technique, accuracy, "trouble" shots and putting. Then, go out and surprise people!
daleh2013
Noob

Favorite Disc: Varies

Postby PMantle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 am

JR wrote:Wow i've beaten in one Pro Destro and it flips a lot still having Wraith like fade so absolutely miles away from the straightest or straightest finishing disc i've seen. You most have trashed that Destro. How long did it take i mean it could be a while before you could replace it if you beat another one as much. Which could be hard to do with all the other drivers.

I was not joking about doing one disc rounds with all of those discs because it illuminates the strengths and weaknesses of different classes of discs but also each individual disc too.

D4 bombs.

It's a freak. But keep in mind-I never throw it without at least a little headwind. That probably keeps it straight. I have different discs for dead still or down wind duties.

I have zero interest in one disc rounds. I'm playing a two disc round today because that's the rules of this mini.

I do want a D4. OTOH, my progress continues. I have now reached 5 of our holes that I once thought were unreachable. In fact, on one straight away hole, I'm going to have to start using something under 12 to keep from running by too far.

That leaves me with just one for sure, and one maybe, hole(s) where any additional distance will actually help. The maybe requires up in the air super hyzer power that I just don't have yet. Stupid hole that really needs a redesign.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby aerohusker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:18 am

I traded a like new Leopard for a D4 (since then i bought another Leopard and now practice with it) the D-4 is probably a little much for me, maybe a good headwind driver, i just started using a 156 blizz teedevil, for drives and slight headwind, also a 162 Tern seem to be my best drivers, then there's that 150 blizz destroyer...
aerohusker
Noob

Favorite Disc: R-Pro Roc

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:00 pm

The D4s I have are super sensitive to removing the flashing. Remove it all and they are down right flippy. Keep it all on there and they are noticeably more stable. I've thrown this disc really far, but the more I play with it, the less reliable it seems. But if yours is too beefy, a little play which removes a bit of the flashing may help.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby aerohusker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 pm

i like the way it flies, but my problem is it's a little heavy (171-172) and not any better (for me) then a 166 vulcan, 162 tern, 156 Katana, 156 teedevil.
aerohusker
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:13 pm

PMantle two disc rounds are somewhat educational given the right circumstances. If you use a putter for putting only and warp speeders on a tight short technical course you get to see why there is a need for FWs and mids too. The reasons one disc rounds are often suggested, not just by me, is to gain skills in throwing technique, flight manipulation and getting to know what a disc can and cannot do. It is hard to get to know what a disc does if you don't misuse it and push it beyond your comfort limits.

Aerohusker i also recommend learning different throws. A flat shot is easily modified to annies by tilting the disc in the grip and throwing an otherwise flat technique shot. For accuracy shots see my signature. There is an idea from physics behind the signature. You generate more power by lengthening the lever that is your arm. The arm is making the longest movement only when it is in a 90 degree angle relative to the body. No biggie for flat shots but if you make a hyzer or anny by doing what you always do for a flat shot but moving the arm in a different plane you'll lose a little power. Something that is not acceptable to new players regardless of age and even worse for older players.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby aerohusker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 pm

ok, i'm learning something here...thank you!

I've been working on reaching back more, working on annies w/ understable and sidearm throws. It's funny a Beast, my go to disc a year ago has become understable, due to my technic mods throwing higher speed stable disc, i think i'm heading in right direction as i find myself using more fairway drives and midranges. This winter i did a lot of roc rounds, it really helped!
aerohusker
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:57 am

There are different kinds of Beasts and even they wear. When new my preferred Beasts so far 166 Pro won't flip at 400' but do at 410'+ and i've noticed that i get wrist rolls at full power so the flipping may be my fault not that of the disc. YMMV with speed and spin differences. A year ago i threw avg 52-53 MPH 20 revolutions per second tops. I might have more power now having lost weight and working out and having a restricting scarring removed from my ankle. I tossed my new cold weather distance record in distance yesterday. I cannot say if it was me or the D4 or both. I got the same Axis farther than i did last fall but back then i hadn't recuperated as much from the surgery.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am

daleh2013 wrote:Mark,

Well said.....I've only been playing about a year and I do play with a group. But, the person that's closest to me in age is 51...I'm 54. The rest are in their 30's and yes, 20's. Do they throw far? Yup... Do we play from the back tees? Yup... I don't have the distance because yeah, I'm older..and because of an unrepairable detatched bicep (from years of weight training) of my throwing arm but no matter. I can get it out close to 300 so I'll live with it. So, I've taken a different attitude about the whole deal. When I was younger I played a lot of "stick" golf...and hit the ball a mile. I played with some older guys and they destroyed me around the greens...their approaches and short game were phenomenal. So that's what I'm doing now...working on accuracy in approaches and putting. Also, since I can't throw an effective forehand because of the injury I have discs that I can move either way to compensate for it. In doing so my scores have dropped quite a bit so in my own way I'm keeping up with the kids. Besides, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing the look in their eyes when they have been bested by an old guy.

So, I guess I'm saying the same thing you are...."dance with who brung ya" and make the most of what you do have. Work on technique, accuracy, "trouble" shots and putting. Then, go out and surprise people!

It really depends what you want out of the game. You can play with the same group of guys forever and have a great time. You can rely on the broken wing forever and still be competitive with your buddies.

Or you can push your potential by joining leagues and tournaments. You can try to train your opposite (uninjured) arm. If you practiced, are you sure that in a month or a year from now you couldn't drive left handed? A lot of players develop new skills due to injury. Why not you?
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby aerohusker » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:36 pm

i got a bum left knee, my plant leg...i thought about learning to throw right hand...for about 30 seconds, at 54/55 its kinda tough to start over, instead i've focused on short game and its gotten better, had 4 birds on a 9 hole park course tonight, spanked my 18 year old kid!

The guy with the pulled muscle can hit 300', i can too on a good throw, but i don't see that ever becoming my strong suit.
aerohusker
Noob

Postby daleh2013 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Oh, I've never ruled out playing in a tournament or trying to take my game to a higher level. I haven't been playing long enough yet to get consistent yet, so to me that means more work on the basics and developing all parts of my game. That plan may require shifting to left handed or maybe not. I played last Thursday and never threw as long as I did; or as straight. So, there is lots of work to do and I'll enjoy each and every second.
daleh2013
Noob

Favorite Disc: Varies

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:41 am

You don't play your first tournament because you are good. You play it to become good.

I was warming up for league yesterday. A group of old guys stopped me to ask a bunch of questions about courses going in, how I liked my cart, new discs, etc. Then I asked them a bunch of questions. They are all within a few years of 60. They have been playing together for 30 years, meeting Sundays at 8 am. None of them have ever played in leagues or tournaments. They all love the game and renew their PDGA memberships every year. Great guys. I played one hole with them before I had to head back for the start of league. None of them had clean form. Because of this none of them threw with the power they should have. None of them knew this, of course.

You tap your potential in the sport the day you go beyond your group of buddies and venture into tournaments. You will otherwise find your level and stay there. You don't see what great players do so you cannot mimic them. You don't need to get better, so you don't.

I played racquetball with a group of buddies at the YMCA for 17 years. We met 4 or 5 mornings a week. We were decent but nowhere in the class of the top players at the Y who occasionally joined us. I found my niche and stayed there until, on a whim, I played in a tournament. I got crushed. I also got inspired. I played tournaments and took lessons. I learned good form and practiced manically. I went from an average player in my small group to the top of the group. Then I beat all the hot shots at the Y. I was a pudgy lawyer in my late 30's with slow foot speed and handily crushing younger, stronger, faster athletes in tournaments. Over 6 years of playing tournaments nationally I rose in the ranks and was on the verge of being forced into Pro when I found disc golf. I played in my first disc golf tournament one week after throwing my first golf disc.

The guys in my old racquetball group? As my game rose so did theirs. Two of guys from my group are the reigning national champs in paddleball doubles for their age group. They gave me a call to invite me to play and to return some of the beatings I gave them. The next time I need a huge dose of humility I will take them up on that. :lol:

The longer you play without learning good form the harder it is to change. Play a tournament this coming weekend and break open your potential. Or play with your buddies and have fun.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby aerohusker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Mark,

Found your stats on the DGPA, i'm humbled by your presents!

So, here i am, throwing about two years, almost 55, fair shape (big belly) 6'2'' 240, can throw a tee devil about 280-300 pretty consistent.

What Drivers should i be using? Am i ok with: Vulcan 166, blizz Teedevil 156, blizz katana 157, tern 162 or would a 150 blizz destroyer be better? What would you think would give me the most consistent throw?
I think for a newb, my mid and short is ok, i work on it and still see progress, but i'd like to dive more accurate.

thanks,

Mark
aerohusker
Noob

Postby PMantle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Flash or Surge SS.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby aerohusker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:37 pm

... sorry i only speak innova, lol. what i mean is i know those discs ratings pretty well.

https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_downl ... gg3guEU_B8

ok, now i see...i have, one discraft a nuke ss, that i threw last year, it was a little overstable, but also heavy (for me) at 172, mybe i'll dig that out, but i think the key is lighter discs.
aerohusker
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury