easier to flip roller

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: easier to flip roller

Postby PMantle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:30 am

Once the disc is rolling, does stability affect anything?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby luma » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 am

rule of thumb: the more stable the longer it will roll, the more understable the faster it will roll out and fall. So try and take the most stable disc that you can get to roll with a clean form and without a real loss of power.

A little more physics: the disc will always fall onto its heavier side, the roll is just stabilized by the torque of the disc on the ground, so the faster it rolls, the longer it will take the disc to fall of course. Now look at the rim and how much weight/volume is topside and bottomside. This tells you how much heavier the heavier side is. If you look at a XXX, the rim is pretty high, compared to a Leo, where it is much lower. This is also just a rule of thumb, as you would have to use an integral calculation (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem ) and more calculation concerning the thickness of the disc and so on.... :) I would (and will) just stay with the more understable, the faster it will roll out - and then just try ... :)

ps: I have found that MVP's roll pretty nice because of their GYRO technology stabilizing the rolling motion...
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Postby PMantle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 am

Cool thanks. Will have to experiment. I play one hole where a roller may get me past my current best. I can only throw so far when having to throw really high. Line of trees makes low a real gamble. Roller would probably miss most of the trunks.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Previous

Return to Equipment