Floppy putts using straight arm method

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Floppy putts using straight arm method

Postby Jank » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 pm

I've been trying to practice a straight arm putt using the methods found in this video. [youtube]http://youtu.be/FtO3pwFesZ0[/youtube]

Whenever I do it my puts mostly come out of my hand without much rotation on them and end up looking like a pizza being tossed in the wind. Is there another good putting video that might explain it differntly or some drills I can try to develop the right timing and release?
Jank
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valk

Re: Floppy putts using straight arm method

Postby JR » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:25 pm

That method has naturally less spin than a spin putt. If you mean the one that Cam Todd uses. Feldy has a different putt that raises the arm slowly for most of the arm movement and accelerates sharply in the end. Both techniques benefit from finger spring that is straightening the fingers pushing the rim of the disc forward spinning the disc some. Dave does flick the wrist forward very little at times in the end of the movement for a partial spin to pitch putt hybrid and it works very well especially in the wind and at longer ranges.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jank » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:28 pm

I dunno what I want. My putt is atrocious so I'm looking a good
Video that i can totally redo my putt from and eliminate the old tendencies. What putt style do you recommend that I learn from?

Obviously I'm trying to eliminate any right or left misses with my technique so I only need to
Focus on up and down.
Jank
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valk

Postby JR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 am

Eventually you should be able to putt with a stagger and straddle stance and spin and pitch putt. To be able to putt around obstacles. A hybrid spin/pitch putt allows one to use the same form at every distance. Two important things in putting form are a quick late acceleration and in a spin putt not allowing to let the elbow straighten to reduce right misses. The quick acceleration early enough ensures that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique