Would love to have a video critique on driving form.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Would love to have a video critique on driving form.

Postby sweet1ar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:45 am

Thank you for all the feedback. I did not get a chance to video practicing in the field this weekend. Spent about 4 hours doing the pec drill with 11 wizards, which Dan Beato did on you tube. Then, I did it for another hour today. I'm not sure how Dan Beato did it for 2 weeks straight in stand still, but quite impressive. I did stand still till I started getting out the discs consistently. Consistently in a head wind of about 175-200'. With a tail wind closer to 225'. All were within 60' of each other for the most part. Then worked in one step, two steps, then an x step. I barely was able to work on the x-step. Took me a while to get a feel for the 1 step. Plus, I kept watching the video over and over again. I was not able to incorporate a reach back. I did it a few times, but felt very awkward. Will need more practice on this. Plus, I still need a bit more consistency. Also during the drills, I have been trying to focus on opening and closing the hips and trying to use more lower body. The piece everyone is most definitely consistent on in my critique. One question I do have is Beato did not talk as much about the reach back and follow through prior to when the disc reaches the pec and elbow at stopping point. Should I incorprate the reach back with the stand still, then 1 step, two step, etc? I know someone on here has done these drills a million times over and I'm curious on their input. Also, when did you start working on the reach back? I know everyone learns differently and has different learning curves, but I'm a bit curious. When will I know when to graduate from the pec drill to a reach back? Then from the reach back to the full motion including an x-step. Do you judge by the feel of the disc ripping out? Is it by distance? I hear distance quite often, but feel more often than not. Just feel is very hard to measure where distance is not. I read once you reach around 250-275' with a putter you are on the right path. I know I'm doing somethings right. I feel more power when throwing my putters and I actually did a reach back with an x-step today and it was a clean throw and close to 250'. I will try and video tape my sessions this weekend to show my progress and hope to receive great feedback on here.

Thanks again.

Andrew
sweet1ar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 am

You should definitely practiced full reach back stand stills right now and try to stay loose. Actually as loose as possible until the right pec position and try to recreate the right pec drill from there. Once that works a one step reach back throw which still needs most of the focus to be in staying loose. and once it works one extra step at a time. Distance and resistance to flipping while fading less are the yard sticks for added snap and power input is secondary and without added spin can work against resisting flips.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby sweet1ar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks JR for the response. I went out today and included my reach back. I'm really starting to feel the power in my pull through after I past my chest. I believe i'm using pull through correctly here. I worked up to a two step reach back, even though I mostly did stand still and one step. I"m really getting a lot of distance and power out of my wizards. My farthest throws with the wizard with a two step and reach back and it went 280'. I With one step it was about 250-260'. When I don't get as much air under the disc (disc about 5-10') off the ground I'm getting a huge low skip once it does hit. It has a ton of spin and velocity on the disc. It's amazing what the pec drill does and how much it has all ready improved my driving distance with putters. My best drives with the putters came when really focusing on keeping the disc close to my chest just prior to the hit zone and then I could really put power behind the disc. Not once did the wizards flip over on me. A majority had a gradual small fade at the end and had a small skip. And if it fades left sooner than normal and didn't get quite as much distance, it would skip at least another 40-60 ft. I was throwing a bit more on a hyzer plane on these throws. I still need a bit more work on this, but my priority right now is the reach back, keeping the disc tight to my chest, and then really really hitting it hard in the power zone.

I will be going out to the practice field again tomorrow and hopefully video the drills I'm doing and be able to get feed back if I'm doing them correctly or things I need more improvement on. Thanks again everyone for the great feed back. Especially JR!!! I may never hit that top 1% Blake had worked with to hit their full disc potential speed or 4% who half hit. But, I do like a challenge and almost impossible feats. I'm not giving up!!! I'll read these articles till my eyes bleed and ice my arm every night if I have to to get back out in the field. Thanks again ya'all!!!

Andrew
sweet1ar
Noob

Week#3 Driving Form

Postby sweet1ar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Here is the new video I have. I am doing Dan Beato's/Blake T Pec drill with a reach back. I have just reviewed the video and I still need lots of work. My first throw was god awful. So, ignore the first throw. Arm was at like hip level. Besides that throw, I noticed that I was not getting my disc to the right pec prior to releasing with the one step. It was more near the left pec. As for hips and lower body, I wouldn't mind more feedback there. JR you seem to have a keen eye for this. How's the left foot doing? I think it's more planted, but you have a better eye for this than I do. Incorporating the two step my form was getting even more shaky. I was getting further away from my right pec prior to the hit zone. I know this is where Beato says you lose the speed. With more of an x-step my disc was getting even further way from my right pec and even a bit lower. Very bad!!! I even think my left foot was picking up more than it should prior to snap of the disc. Well for day two of incorporating reach back, it's not horrible but needs lots and lots of work. I have attached the video below. This one is much longer. I am only throwing wizards. Even though my form was still kind of shitty, I was getting the disc out there and not flipping over. I really need to measure the soccer field because I don't think it's a full 300 ft (100 yards). If it was, i was getting the disc out to about 240-260' with a strong head wind. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Video:

Thanks!!!

Andrew
sweet1ar
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:40 am

You can check the left leg height by pausing the video on Youtube and pressing arrow right button to move the video forward in small increments. You are raising the left leg up to butt top height. As if you were trying to follow through a straight up jump. That is 90 degrees too high in the leg pushing direction. You do get hip and shoulders moving some and the benefits might or might not be larger if you can stop the right leg for a little longer and harder and emphasizing the hip twist.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby sweet1ar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:22 am

So my leg should be lower because I need better weight shift forward before the hit? I was reviewing Dan Beato's throw and I analyzed Dan Beato's throw and his left leg seems to be fairly high. I have included the video below and stop the video at time 0:24. So is the difference in why he is doing it correctly and I'm not is my weight is not shifting forward correctly, but he is? If this is the case height is not always as good of an indicator as seeing the body move forward where as mine seems to go more up. Or, I'm not quite understanding how you are explaining it. I'm still trying to get better at understanding everyone's scientific wording here.Takes me four times to get a better understanding of it. Maybe I should read it more before I responded to this. Either way, I will try and keep my leg lower. It just feels so natural for me to do it when i'm pushing off and following through. Is there anything I am doing better this time around in my throw? You say my hip and shoulders move some. Sounds like I'm not doing near as much as I should prior to the snap. Am I correct? I need to know if I'm going in the right direction. Or if I need to slow down the drill and begin again at just the chest and accelerate forward. I do not want to move too quickly if I'm not having correct throwing form. From what I have gathered on your critique this time is leg needs to be lower on the push off to allow better weight transfer and I need to open up my hips and shoulders more during the last part of the pull through. I think I also need to get the disc more at my right pec before I start to pull the disc through. Am I missing anything?

Thanks again for the comments.

Andrew
sweet1ar
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:51 am

To my understanding the left leg rise of Dan is the weakest link in his form which is otherwise good. But i think he is going for Feldy type left leg kick he just does not do it like Feldy does it -more effectively countering the arm movement. The left leg kick should be a mirror to the elbow straightening. That is why the airborne Feldy type kick should move parallel to the ground at a constant height.

The rising of the leg is the symptom and as such should not be corrected but the cause should. The cause is not pushing forward enough with the left leg. That is parallel to the ground. Achieving that will automatically lower the left leg follow through height so watching that does work well as a diagnosing tool. To be able to push parallel to the ground a few tricks help. Rising to the left toe at the rip like Avery Jenkins does and bending the knees for a lower stance say 110 degree or a little higher will help in pushing forward.

A good left leg push has the foot and knee farther away from the target at the hit than the butt. In order to get there in a throw where you are not running full tilt the only way to get into that position is to push quickly and very hard with the left leg. Doing that will automatically make the hips twist faster and you are ahead of the majority of players in that area already so i would not worry so much about it. There is only polishing left in that area. Overdoing trying to yank as fast as possible usually reduces accuracy and consistency and for some reduces distance. More effort for less distance=a fatigued player scoring worse. No joy so there sure is the law of diminishing returns at work here.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Video Critique