Anyone live in the greater Buffalo area?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Anyone live in the greater Buffalo area?

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Going to be in Tonawanda May 6th through 10th and I will have time to play in the evenings. Hoping to hit a few courses in the area, would love to play with someone local :)

Anyone brought their bags on a flight before? Did you have to check it or can you do the whole "wait for it on the off ramp after the flight" thing?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Anyone live in the greater Buffalo area?

Postby Stringbean » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:48 pm

I just flew to DC with my bag. It was a small Innova bag with ten discs. I shoved it in one of my two backpacks and carried both onto the plane. No questions asked. I will be in Buffalo in August, please take some notes and let me know what the go-to courses are.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby cubeofsoup » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:04 pm

There are a few friendly buffalo dudes over at reddit.com/r/discgolf, they may be interested.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby limonsock » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:15 am

http://nrdg-forum.proboards.com/index.cgi This is the Niagara region dg forum, you can most definately find some people to play on there. Normally I would love to play a round, I'm on the other side of the world though in Shanghai at the moment.
The best local course is Black Diamond DGC in Wales. It's huge and has both lots of woods and tons of long open holes. (the first hole is 1200ft down a ski hill) Its about 40 minutes from tonowanda, but you could play that course, Chestnut ridge, and Como park all in the same day, they're all about 10-20 min from each other and are all pretty fun. GPS would be super handy to navigate the area.
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby cubeofsoup » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Side note, if you are a fan of wings, you should give Duff's a try. They are the classic wing, nothing fancy here, just getting a taste of one of the origins of the "Buffalo Wing".
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:03 pm

All noted. Can't wait!
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:56 am

limonsock wrote:http://nrdg-forum.proboards.com/index.cgi This is the Niagara region dg forum, you can most definately find some people to play on there. Normally I would love to play a round, I'm on the other side of the world though in Shanghai at the moment.
The best local course is Black Diamond DGC in Wales. It's huge and has both lots of woods and tons of long open holes. (the first hole is 1200ft down a ski hill) Its about 40 minutes from tonowanda, but you could play that course, Chestnut ridge, and Como park all in the same day, they're all about 10-20 min from each other and are all pretty fun. GPS would be super handy to navigate the area.

Any of these in sketchy neighborhoods? Lock car doors? Park in certain areas?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Jeronimo » Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Ellicot creek: Boring and waaay too easy. Left my favorite River on a hole as a forgotten 2nd shot and by 4 holes later (ie I remembered) it was gone. Tons of people traverse that park.

Emery up next. Loaded grip bag went through TSA and 2 flights as a carry on with no problems btw.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Jeronimo » Sun May 12, 2013 2:54 pm

cubeofsoup wrote:Side note, if you are a fan of wings, you should give Duff's a try. They are the classic wing, nothing fancy here, just getting a taste of one of the origins of the "Buffalo Wing".

Wings were amazing, my face looked like a cat of prey coming up from its kill by the time I was done though. Shit's messy. Thanks for the heads up.

Now back to dg...

Black Diamond golds... My God. It bent me over and made me its bitch.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon May 13, 2013 9:16 am

Good stuff dude! You have officially played more Buffalo courses than me...and I love an hour away.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby Jeronimo » Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 pm

You got some pretty sweet courses near you then... I'm a bit jealous. Honestly, I think Black Diamond has the potential to be a 4.5-5 star course with some additional work. I left that course frustrated, tired, angry, and thrilled all at the same time. One thing I can say about that course for certainty was that I was PISSED that I could never find the FREAKING TEE'S for the holes. That shit is inexcusable. Two colored bricks buried in the ground are not a "teepad". Especially when the hole signage rarely uses landmarks to even give you an idea where the tee SHOULD be. Second thing was the sheer amount of tree's on the holes. Don't get me wrong, I love a wooded course as much as the next dude but I want to see gaps, lanes, options. Not a stinking disc roulette (chuck and pray). Some serious tree farming needs to be done before I could label the course "Challenging" instead of "Ludicrous". The last thing that bugged me was the PUNISHING distance. Every hole was basically 400'+! I really enjoy longer holes, but man... this was just ridiculous. A 600' tunnel shot with a 8' gap up the middle the whole way is crazy.

All that said, it was truly one of the most entertaining courses I've ever played. The variance in terrain was awesome, the shots were often unique and memorable, and the amount of land available was incredible. Put in proper identified tee pads, clear some more of the residual tree's, and shorten up a few of the more nasty long/narrow holes and I'd proudly call that a championship caliber course. That first hole is epic!

Now that I think about it, whoever designed that course had some kind of fascination with there being a pretty narrow gap to hit right off the tee on several holes, followed by an additional 4-500' to the pin. REALLY frustrating to have a bad tee shot on those holes.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Return to General Discussion