19%
10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock
7%
all the pink ones I can find :)
12%

Total votes : 69

Re: Comet lovers

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 am

BLURR wrote:The flatter comets aren't as stable as the domey runs. They are straight to slightly understable in flight. They are a nice compliment to a buzzz though.

For future reference(And this is my opinion):
Domey Comet = Straight to ever so slightly overstable
Flat Comet = Straight to ever so slightly understable

I can agree with this.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:06 am

Haven't ever really seen a domey Comet. I've seen some with higher or lower shoulders, but no domey ones.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 am

A Comet with a bubble top would look pretty surreal. I have two i think 3rd run ESP Comets that are pretty domey especially vs Zs that are pretty, not totally, but close to flat.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:54 am

I threw a flattish Z and semi domey 3rd run ESP in field practice with mild constant winds to moderate gusts in 45F. Pretty normal results. It took me forever to get warmed up and loose. Around an hour and a half. Some sleep deprivation and fatigued body. I tried different grips when the normally cleanly releasing grip didn't work. I didn't have enough upper back mobility with the shoulder blade hitting the vertical upper back muscle. Anny most times. I threw other stuff for an hour and a half before retrying and two finger Jenkins style thumb with a lot of tightness either early or late pinch worked at least as well as my normal mid and putter driving grip. That is power grip loose fingers with the index finger almost not inside the disc ans even looser than the other fingers and a late pinch. I was getting consistently stronger grip than ever and so far my arm ain't hurting bad so there's progress. The wind didn't bother me at all. Both Comets flew beautifully but especially the two finger grip gave early slips to the left. Not surprising in these temps.

The difference between me being off and on were too great for consistency and being able to compete with the Comet so it can't be a work horse disc other than for annies overall. For days when i'm on it is much more versatile and not as hard penalizing disc except for range control. Given how much the distance changes with throwing low. I don't like to gamble with discs and even in calm conditions my physical capabilities vary way too much from day to day so i'm too gimp for this disc for anything other than utility disc. If i were in better shape and didn't need to warm up so long and wouldn't cool down as fast as i do it would be a much better disc for me. i'm not pro enough for this disc considering how i got comparison Coyote, different Squalls, Buzzz, Leopards Champ and Star, GL River and Z Stalker to fly for different distances but straight and more predictably. Despite the wind. Well the Squalls were a little on the iffy side at times too but not as much. Overall i was getting a better grip than ever and more pull from the fingers and Blake said that is wrong :-( I just am not sure how to get push if it ain't finger spring and i haven't tried it yet at full power. Too much rounds to little field form practice. Today was equipment testing. Anyway i couldn't get my Star Leo to flip and that is new. It fades out earlier than my a little flipping champ and is shorter.Still 360'. Champ to 370'. The champ flipped less than normal. I got normal flip form the GL River because it faded out on me in mostly rear winds and i wasn't able to get any good enough rips for best D with it so i was pushing trying to kill it and probably overdid it which often leads to a little wrist roll.

Missing with the Comets sans slips felt and resulted in what over committing to Rivers at 105 % power were doing. No joy for either disc. There comes my problem with many other discs than the Comet too. I am crappy and busted enough to not need discs that turn back and bite me. I had the best grip day ever with more disc pivot than ever and still so many Comet shots were off enough to kill the scores at least in tight places. And that is where the Comet shines so the main purpose was too severely compromised. If you don't count being a great diagnostic tool to be the main function for that disc. Also the Axis suffers from needing too perfect of a throw for me to execute always. AKA required skill and current ability level. What good is knowing and at times performing to requirements when at other times you can't make the shots? That is forcing me to use other discs as mainstays.

II don't recall carrying Comets for rounds this season. And i love the disc. Not so much when it throws tantrums (that is me messing up). Still it is an awesome disc and i'm also saddened by the Axis and to a great degree the Warship with their superb glide carrying them off too far on anything but great throws and not being able to rely on myself enough to use them all the time :-(
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby andrew » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 pm

That flat Z Comet got field-tested. Needs more air under it than I'm used to giving with Buzz/Fuse. Very much like a Roc with no fade (and better plastic). Easy to predict lines and could make it laser straight except in headwinds, although I had no luck gauging its distance, which is just to say I never got familiar enough with it. I can see how it'd fit well in someone else's bag....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby mzuleger » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up that I've been putting some of my rare-ish comets on ebay lately (RR, old Z etc.). I know some of you guys like that stuff.... so go get it.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby turso » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:56 pm

mzuleger wrote:Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up that I've been putting some of my rare-ish comets on ebay lately (RR, old Z etc.). I know some of you guys like that stuff.... so go get it.

it usually helps if one provides a link to these aforementioned items.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby mzuleger » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:07 am

Looks like DC did a regular production run of glo comets... anyone try one yet? What did you think?
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby JR » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Hot dang! If the plastic makes them more HSS and a little more LSS like in other plastics i'm all over on this one like flies on you know what.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 am

I will report back later this week on the Glo Comet...have one arriving tomorrow.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 am

They had not heard of them at my local store.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby clard » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:20 am

Any update on the glo comets? I just got some new z's that are pretty cash, but a little less hss than my limited run esps from a couple years ago.
clard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:09 am

they are pretty nice.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby gremlin75 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Well looks like Discraft is finally putting the ESP comet into their regular line up instead of just doing Limited Edition runs every now and then (OK so they only did 2 LE runs but you know what I mean)
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby PMantle » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:21 pm

My ESP is sitting in my store room. really out to get it to someone who would use it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment