Ask MILLENNIUM Golf Discs (1.8 QJLS are mislabeled QPLS)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 am

Does the Orc not do something that you would hope an OLF would do? I suspect they are similar, but flight variances are always the #1 factor when comparing the same mold. You could probably find a super beefy Orc and an understable QOLF, or vice versa.

My question was in regard to what the current "number" is for OLF's. 1.3? And how do they generally stack up next to stable and understable Champ Beasts?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Ask MILLENNIUM Golf Discs (1.8 QJLS are mislabeled QPLS)

Postby zj1002 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Omega big beads are the small nose

So I'm excited about this. I've always wanted this

If you liked the proto BBs, stock up. Those are the Aviar-x nose

The new AP 1.13 returned to the usual omega shape. No more Aviar-x nose
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 pm

How does the 2.2 Omega BB fly compared to the 2.1?
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby zj1002 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

The glide is about the same

But the LSS is more like a stock omega. It holds really straight lines.

The AP 1.13 is actually more LSS than the AP and SS BB for me. But that isn't a knock on the stability of either one of the BBs, the 1.13 just came out really stable.

The SS BB will feel more narrow in the hand, and the plastic doesn't feel as chunky/gritty. But it is just as soft as the 2.1s, if not softer. I think the plastic actually might be more durable as well. I slid it across some pavement and hit some rocks, and say very minimal damage. The bottom of the rim didn't scuff at all. I am really impressed with how durable the SS blend is in this run. I see it becoming my main approach omega.

I now will be rocking this setup for putters

Omega Driver - main putter
Omega AP 1.11 - turnover's
Omega AP BB 2.1 - stable driver
Omega SS BB 2.2 - basket approach putter(hit and sit!)
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Stringbean » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Does the Orc not do something that you would hope an OLF would do? I suspect they are similar, but flight variances are always the #1 factor when comparing the same mold. You could probably find a super beefy Orc and an understable QOLF, or vice versa.

My question was in regard to what the current "number" is for OLF's. 1.3? And how do they generally stack up next to stable and understable Champ Beasts?

The Orc is perfect as is. Unfortunately, it is DX, so it won't last long. When its time for a replacement, I am trying to decide if I should try out a SOLF or stick with the Orc but in premium plastic.

Hopefully zj1002 or JR can answer your question regarding the current run of OLF's.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 am

Um, yes sorry I have written a lot about the LF in this thread.

I'll give you a big write-up tonight
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 am

Stringbean wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:Does the Orc not do something that you would hope an OLF would do? I suspect they are similar, but flight variances are always the #1 factor when comparing the same mold. You could probably find a super beefy Orc and an understable QOLF, or vice versa.

The Orc is perfect as is. Unfortunately, it is DX, so it won't last long. When its time for a replacement, I am trying to decide if I should try out a SOLF or stick with the Orc but in premium plastic.

Hopefully zj1002 or JR can answer your question regarding the current run of OLF's.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I thought we were comparing apples to apples - premium plastic. DX is great, but only if you can find the good stuff...as I'm sure you know.

Thanks ahead of time for the write-up ZJ. I'm looking forward to it. I figured a lot has already been said, but it's hard to search through and find it.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 am

Stringbean wrote:The Orc is perfect as is. Unfortunately, it is DX, so it won't last long. When its time for a replacement, I am trying to decide if I should try out a SOLF or stick with the Orc but in premium plastic.

Try one in Pro. For a 4 Glide rated disc, it glides forever. Really miss the one I lost, and I can't get them locally. I find that in Ch. it's pretty darn overstable.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Stringbean » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm

PMantle wrote:
Stringbean wrote:The Orc is perfect as is. Unfortunately, it is DX, so it won't last long. When its time for a replacement, I am trying to decide if I should try out a SOLF or stick with the Orc but in premium plastic.

Try one in Pro. For a 4 Glide rated disc, it glides forever. Really miss the one I lost, and I can't get them locally. I find that in Ch. it's pretty darn overstable.

The DX that I have is of the cheap variety but the glide is impressive. I agree on the Pro plastic.

I walked into a Hobbytown USA during my lunchbreak to see what kind of selection they had. They had two Orcs in stock and both had stickers on the back that said "$5 Off". I picked up one flat Star Orc and a domey Champ Orc. $13 and $11 respectively. I could probably go all Orc for my distance drivers between the domey Champ, Flat Star, and DX once it is beat to hell. [/Orc talk]
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Ok...here goes based on what I think has been asked.

The current run of Orion LF Quantum(1.3) basically flies like a longer teebird. It is a wraith top on a firebird wing. The older LFs were more eagle-ish, they excelled at long flips. But the current LFs excel at pured lines, where it can slowly turn or hyzer on its own - like a Teebird. The old LFs were flat(with the old Teerex top?) and the new ones are domey with the wraith top. I know this sounds a bit blurry, but the LF has a complicated history.

So basically if you want something to fit perfectly in between like the LS(or Beast) and Firebird it is the Orion LF. The Orc can't handle power and/or torque as well as the LF. The Orc is faster with a sharper nose, meaning as you crank on it into the wind, it will be behave somewhat unpredictable in the wind. This is where the LF out works it, because the LF can handle 15+mph winds before it starts to show flight changes.

I am sure I got off topic, so if you want to ask questions to get me back to where you want it, feel free to redirect me
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 am

How does the OLF handle forehand torque compared to wider rims like Wraiths and Destroyers?

Back when I was playing a few times a week, I was able to put a Destroyer out to 325' on a clean forehand...350' if I flexed it high. Now I'm playing less and trying to disc down on my distance drivers. So it's between the OLF and Wraith to fill the stable and overstable distance slots.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zj1002 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:06 am

The OLF will forehand like a shorter wraith. Very straight, can flip up, but will fade back
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Has the SOLS remained more consistent across molds than the OLFs or has there been just as much variance? I throw 1.1's of each, but while 1.1 SOLFs are still relatively easy to find, 1.1 SOLS not so much.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:26 pm

You might want to try the QOLS. I used to throw the 1.1 SOLS around 168 and loved it. When the QOLS came out it immediately pushed the SOLS out of the bag and has been there since. I do tend to throw the Q a few grams lighter, around 164. It has such great glide, more than the SOLS. Perfect for tight tunnel shots.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:36 am

Has anyone thrown the newer run QMS? I have an older version, not sure if it is CE or not, but I have become very reliant on it for tight shots with no fade. I want to purchase some backups but not sure how the new run QMS compares to the older version.

The older version that I have feels slightly different than current champ plastic. The biggest difference is the feel of the underside of the rim. It has a rough feel as opposed to current champ that feels smooth througout. Is this a characterstic of CE plastic?
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment