the bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the bag

Postby JR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:23 am

D1 agreed but how far did you get the D4 and was it a proto or FR? Mine is FR and it is controllable at 430'. In 29 F so it will be interesting to see how it fares when i'm clothed for summer and have grip and the air allows a little longer throws just from the temp change. Yes it flips for me but not uncontrollably. I have too few throws to say about predictability but from calm to mild winds it was fine in all wind directions. Unusual for a disc that glides so well. YMMV because you probably get a lot more speed on your disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am

I have thrown Proto and 1st run D4s. I was getting a proto out near 475-500ft, but I could try to throw identical lines and get vastly different types of flight at this distance. Reminded me of the Astra/Archon, you get some amazing shots, but the squirrely ones aren't worth the trouble.

I am sure they will figure it out and the drivers work just fine, they just aren't my cup of tea unless I am being paid to throw them.

The 1st runs seemed to be less stable, and generally would all flip up and forward. The Proto I threw was the touchy one
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 pm

I really hope that the squirrelyness has been removed in the production ones because my FR is fine so far. At less power than what you have and speed stability is an obvious danger at your power. Even though i did get good headwind shots without problems simulating your calm weather power. But do the winds ever die down over there is another matter. I haven't thrown Astras and the Archon is nowhere near as good fading out shorter and earlier last year or my power is really going up from losing weight, recovering from surgery, hitting the gym and the bicycle :-) At least the Archon flips more than the D4 FR. I would imagine the Astra being slower at least thus shorter even though i've read reports of it having good glide and D for the power requirement. I would have thought the Astra is shorter than the D4.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby zj1002 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Dropped the Champion Roc

Added a Champion Shark3 180g. Bit more stable than my MD2, about where my champ roc was. We shall see how it seasons up
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:41 pm

I have been digging some champion sharks lately too. Interested to hear what you think as our disc choices are pretty close.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby zj1002 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 am

Shark didn't make the bag after a week, probably will still see practice but not the bag for a while...because...

I added a Glow Champion Roc3

Flies like a new ching roc, and the plastic has amazing grip. Better than any regular champion Roc3. Probably going to collect as many as I can from tournaments this season. Its a great run of Roc
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:35 pm

placed 2nd at Gonzo. good start to the year, but my approach game with my putters was way off. It wouldn't have gotten me the strokes I needed to win, but it would have felt better to not over shoot stuff like an AM. Good news is I got some new Omega Big beads on Monday. They promptly went in the bag, and are working like a dream on the course.

Omega Driver/Experimental - main putter
Omega AP Big Bead 2.1 - driving putter
Omega SS Big Bead 2.2 - main approach putter
Omega SS 1.30 - trashed and abused for touch shots

CE QMS x2 - 1 seasoned, 1 fresh
Roc3 Glow Champion - new and stable
CMD2 3rd run - flat 180g, more low speed dump than the Roc3

QJLS x3 - 1 trashed, 1 seasoned, 1 fresh
QOLF x2 - 1 seasoned, 1 fresh
SOLF 1.1 - mainly for quick hyzer flips where the QOLFs flip up slower.
Firebird Star x2 - 1 seasoned straight, 1 fresh - both flat and old runs

S-Scorpius x3 - 1 seasoned, 1 fresh, 1 beefy(bottom stamp)

Very simple bag. Ended up carrying 2 FBs just to get a rotation going. My main Star FB has seen a lot of action now that I have added a better forehand to my arsenal. So the new resists high speed better, but I also wanted to get more comfortable so that I could trust it if I lost my main FB. Also added a brand new(but old run) QJLS. It is the old red candy run, my favorite type of QJLS and is dead on identical to my other 2 in the bag. Nice to be able to reach down and see 3 discs from the same run in 3 different conditions. Dropped the gator because it was only used on certain courses, but it will remain in the car if I need it.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Sun May 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Putters/Mids changed a bit

Omega Driver/Experimental - putter
Omega SS Big Bead - approach putter, any line I need
Omega AP Big Bead - straight stable drives
P-P2 proto run - Has more high speed resistance, and low speed dump than the big beads. got 10 of these, might as well use them...

Aurora MS 1.7 - can count on it to always turn from any angle I put it on. Stiff flat old kc pro driver plastic, the kind most people think is CE but really isn't.
CE QMS x2 - 1 seasoned, 1 fresh
Roc3 Glow Champion - flat and stable
Q-Sentinel Sanny - made a return. always a fun midrange

Dropped my AP 1.11 since I found my SS Big Bead taking over almost all of my approach duties. I wanted to try adding the P-P2 again for driving so the AP 1.11 was the putter that had to go. Really don't like carrying more than 4 putters at a time

This 1.7 AMS is really nice. I have held a few but never got to throw one. Super nice old plastic and really damn flat. The profile is a lot like my flat CE QMS, but the plastic is different - more pro with a hint of CE. I can throw this thing on huge flips and turnovers, like a beat up DX roc. But will fly dead straight at low power and in tailwinds. Also replaced the gator with a Sentinel for my next few tournaments. And I just like to revisit discs weekly :D
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:45 am

McPro Big Bead
Omega AP Big Bead
Omega SS Big Bead
P-P2

CE QMS - seasoned
C-MD2 - proto
C-MD2 - flat top run - 172g
C-MD3 - glow, flat, its a beefy MD2. very legit 180g

QJLS x2
QOLF 1.2
SOLF 1.1
Firebird Star
PD Test Config - forehands mainly

Scorpius x3 - 1 seasoned, 1 fresh, 1 overstable

My drivers really never change, ever. The Scorpius has definitely earned its place over any wraith, dd or destroyer I try in that spot. It just does it all. And really the QOLF goes just as far as a speed 11 when needed. Added the Test Config PD for straight forehands, acts like a seasoned Star Firebird.

The MD3 has been a real treat to throw. The mold isn't that much different from the flat top MD2s, and to me it really just looks like they combined the Roc3 top and the MD2...Which basically is the flat top MD2s. Anyways it is more stable and holds hyzer lines better than the MD2. This of course has made me revisit my box of MD2s to find something that pairs with it! If the MD2 is like a buzzz, the MD3 flies more like a Roc. Here's to hoping the MD3 maintains this stability upon stock release
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Sounds like overlap between that MD3 and flat MD2s then. I imagine regular plastics would behave differently and i saw three different dome heights with Roc3s at the shop where i got mine from and i picked a flat one.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:08 am

Flat MD2 @ 172g likes to flip up and push forward. The MD3 @ 180g likes to hold the initial line, not ever really flipping.

MD3 is basically a torque resistant MD2. Feel and look are near identical, so I assume the MD2 won't get the flap top in the next run.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:01 am

Which plastic MD2 with a flat top flips for you? I know that you have more power than i do but i could not get a flat C MD2 to flip at all from a flat full power throw.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby zj1002 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:31 pm

C-line flat top Md2...But as I said it is 172g. It it is flipping forward, not over. I have 180g MD2s that are harder to flip, and fly closer to the MD3

But it still definitely ranks like this for stability, with 172g being the least
MD2 - 172g
MD2 - 180g
MD3 - glow 180g
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:44 am

Yup mine was a 180 and at my power it could not flip at all the weight difference and your power makes sense for the lighter one to flip and i'm impressed that you could flip the 180 C MD2 if wind was not playing a part.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:47 am

Well hey...

Clozer Protege
Clozer Gravity
Clutch Icon
Omega SS BB 2.2

CE QMS
Ghost Gravity
Ghost Icon
Q-Sentinel

Rival Icon x2 - 175, 166
Patriot Icon
Firebird Star
QOLF 1.2
SOLF 1.1

S-Scorpius x2
Cannon Icon - 174g
Rampage Icon - 170g
S-DD

Yeah...
zj1002
metroid cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion