The downwind putt

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The downwind putt

Postby JHern » Wed May 01, 2013 12:22 am

PMantle wrote:
andrew wrote: I'd add to give it more mustard-.

This is what I shall do. Unfortunately, putting with mustard seems to take longer than throwing a driver far. Well, and I have T-rex arms.

I agree, you have to get the disc moving through air for it to generate lift and glide, so you have to throw harder downwind...throwing at wind speed is like not throwing at all, it just drops dead. You have to throw above the wind speed, just give it a bit more snap and slam center chains. Also, putting with a lot of nose up/down in wind can tend to make the disc dance in the chains, and blow out (I had a 4-putt like this during a windy tourney, I was putting nose down, each one hit dead center of mass, danced around, and then blew out...going flat instead fixed this issue). Another alternative: you can also turn the putter upside down and practice putting like that...an inverted disc has less lift anyways, so the wind will have less effect (I've known several 1010+ rated players who always putt like this inside 10' regardless of conditions).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby discraft » Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 am

JHern wrote:
PMantle wrote:
andrew wrote: I'd add to give it more mustard-.

This is what I shall do. Unfortunately, putting with mustard seems to take longer than throwing a driver far. Well, and I have T-rex arms.

I agree, you have to get the disc moving through air for it to generate lift and glide, so you have to throw harder downwind...throwing at wind speed is like not throwing at all, it just drops dead. You have to throw above the wind speed, just give it a bit more snap and slam center chains. Also, putting with a lot of nose up/down in wind can tend to make the disc dance in the chains, and blow out (I had a 4-putt like this during a windy tourney, I was putting nose down, each one hit dead center of mass, danced around, and then blew out...going flat instead fixed this issue). Another alternative: you can also turn the putter upside down and practice putting like that...an inverted disc has less lift anyways, so the wind will have less effect (I've known several 1010+ rated players who always putt like this inside 10' regardless of conditions).

I have an upside down turbo putt that works well.It doesnt fly it just drops.Learnerd it 20 years ago from some pros.
Regular Dude that likes DISCRAFT.

Force:Nuke:Avenger:Buzz:Meteor:Stratus:APX
discraft
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Meteor

Postby PMantle » Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 am

Terrence wrote:A 150-class (or even 165ish) putter works well if the wind is directly at your back. Add a little anhyzer angle and you'll get good glide without having to throw beyond a comfortable power level. I deal with windy conditions nearly every round since Ludington sits on Lake Michigan's west coast.

Releasing anhyzer, or even flat for that matter, is nearly impossible for me. Working on it though.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby zeike524 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:25 am

Just curious how its impossible to release like that?
zeike524
Noob

Postby PMantle » Wed May 01, 2013 9:09 am

zeike524 wrote:Just curious how its impossible to release like that?

I may have a deformity. Not sure.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:22 am

Few things that help for me on downwind putts:

I have a hybrid style - but it is more of a push/spin with a little pitch added in.

For downwind putts, I try to focus on being very slow and smooth(which is good to practice regardless of condition). My focus is on extending my hand and disc as far out as I can with a clean release. I find for tailwind putts that if I my hand doesn't extend all the way, the tailwind will pull it down quicker and smack the cage. The biggest thing for putting in any situation is to just makes sure your entire body is committed to extended forward on a full swing. Never short yourself, ever. Practice that and you won't miss as much
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby PMantle » Wed May 01, 2013 9:40 am

Keep in mind, I may not even understand the different types of putting. Disc golf is new here(no course over 1 year old) and I can't even explain what my hand is or is not doing at release. Pretty sure I have no idea what push putting even is.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 am

Extend your hand to the pole, thats all you need to worry about. Start practicing it at 5ft, and move out as you get better. Eventually you will learn the angles and such
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Thu May 02, 2013 6:18 pm

There are some synonyms for different styles of putting and some might use some terms in contradiction to others. Laser/spin putting moves the arm in a straight line back to front with no height alteration and pitch/loft putting locks or almost locks the elbow straight before the arm movement which starts low and ends up higher like throwing horse shoes. Push putting is that the same as pitch/loft putting everywhere? IIRC Feldy uses push putting the same as some use pitch/loft.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Fri May 03, 2013 7:42 am

I think I'm using pitch. Getting worse by the round.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JHern » Fri May 03, 2013 3:28 pm

JR wrote:There are some synonyms for different styles of putting and some might use some terms in contradiction to others. Laser/spin putting moves the arm in a straight line back to front with no height alteration and pitch/loft putting locks or almost locks the elbow straight before the arm movement which starts low and ends up higher like throwing horse shoes. Push putting is that the same as pitch/loft putting everywhere? IIRC Feldy uses push putting the same as some use pitch/loft.

Feldy is a loft putter.

Val Jenkins is a push putter.

Nate Doss/Josh Anthon are spin putters.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby PMantle » Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 am

JHern wrote:Val Jenkins is a push putter.

I had never seen her before today. Lots of bend in the elbow. I have been trying to keep the arm straight. May try her style. She has no power issues with longer putts.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Technique