SOLF vs S-PD as a SOLF Replacement

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

SOLF vs S-PD as a SOLF Replacement

Postby khdorriety » Thu May 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Hey everyone, I must admit that I regrettably have lost my dream disc, a 1.2 SOLF Orange 167g that was perfect for me. This particular SOLF would fly straight on most throws, or even move right during the high speed turn, before slightly fading back to the left at the end of its flight. I honestly would love to have 4 or 5 more of these discs, but I can't seem to find any sort of consistency with everything I've read on here regarding the OLF's.

So here's my dilemma, I live in an area where I can not really walk into a store and feel the discs to ensure that I am getting what I want. Instead, I'm almost forced to order online and just hope that I get a disc that I really want. Reading on here, it seems risky to even order a 1.2 from Marshall Street because of the different changes that were made even within that run.

My question: Should I go ahead and try to order another 1.2 (and even then should I get another SOLF or maybe a QOLF?) online and hope that I get one that will be close to what my lost disc was, or should I work toward a mold that has a little bit more consistency and order an S-PD or some other disc that can fill the role of my utility driver? I'm really hoping to minimize the molds in my bag, so I'd appreciate suggestions that will have multiple uses for the same mold.

Thanks in advance!
khdorriety
Noob

Re: SOLF vs S-PD as a SOLF Replacement

Postby JR » Thu May 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi and welcome.

I am not an expert on SOLF 1.2 like Millennium reps and retailers here but the run numbering system Millennium has normally produces pretty similar discs within a run for Millennium which is exceedingly rare these days and the factory making them has a lot of variation in other discs they manufacture like the PDs. So i'd go with another SOLF 1.2 SOLFs and PDs are probably the best discs for that role available so it is a toss up which one to use but PDs have varied a lot more than SOLFs and S PDs have been more overstable not flipping at all and fading more than SOLFs so if you want to test the other side of the Innova fence (both discs come from the Innova factory) i would try the P-Line PD in the same or lower weight than you used. Or a 150 S PD those are beefy for the weight and the most reliable 150 disc out there that are not meat hooks. Yes 150 and meat hook in the same sentence is true when it comes to some discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby RebelZero » Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 am

I've been wondering about the SOLF vs PD myself. I have a CPD that's pretty over stable and a 1.3 SOLF that is less stable. I can put the PD out to almost 400, the SOLF a little less. I know the PD is supposed to be more Teebird and the SOLF more Eagle, but I get better line shaping from the PD, as well as more distance.

I know a lot of people carry both Teebirds and Eagles but it doesn't seem like you'd need both OLFs and PDs for distance duty. Are there any major differences between the two? Or do they both fill this slot and it's just a matter of personal preference?

I have a 1.2 SOLF on the way because I've read that run is more stable than the 1.3s. Also a 1.2 QOLF to pair with it. I decided to get an SPD as well to see if it's a less stable counterpart to the CPD.

I'd like to use just one mold for this slot. Any recommendations or just keep throwing to see which fits me better?
RebelZero
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 am

There are enough differences between different runs of SOLFs and QOLF and PDs that either mold could cover all lines in the range those discs are good for speed wise. Meaning speed 6&7 FWs have an advantage at shorter ranges and other discs fly nicely on super long drives. Both discs are so good that you could even mix and match those two molds together for variations in stability for the same role. With that said S PD is less overstable than the C PD and P PDs break in to understable fairly easily.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby RebelZero » Tue May 28, 2013 12:48 pm

All my new plastic came in yesterday and I headed to the field. The 1.2 SOLF is basically the same as my 1.3 but the QOLF is faster and flippier. Didn't really like it very much. The SPD seems like it'll be a good, less stable counterpart to my CPD. Looks like I may just get a PPD to season and go with Discmania for all my distance needs. I like the SOLFs but I just get better line shaping from the CPD. It carves some amazing S curves and always comes back more reliably than the OLFs.
RebelZero
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Return to Equipment