Senior disc golf question

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Senior disc golf question

Postby anthonydgolf20 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:28 pm

I had a question for/people with knowledge of senior disc golf.

I wanted to purchase discs and other equipment for my mom for mother's day. She is 65. She recently had a pretty bad injury to her non-dominant arm. She was a great athlete, played a lot of tennis and other sports, but now she can't really use her right arm (she is left handed). She is in pretty good shape. I was wondering if disc golf could be something she could get into? I am pretty new myself, does throwing put strain on the non-dominant arm?
anthonydgolf20
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova wraith

Re: Senior disc golf question

Postby aerohusker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:15 pm

no, she should be ok. get a light 150 gram Innova Archangel
aerohusker
Noob

Favorite Disc: R-Pro Roc

Postby JR » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:36 pm

For a new senior a midrange could be a better option. Depending on her power and form it could be something like Panther, Coyote, Buzz in order of rising power requirement with the Panther being low in power requirement indeed and the Coyote taking power fairly well and going the farthest and the Buzz in Z plastic being the most tolerant to throwing form errors.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby anthonydgolf20 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks for the advice, I saw a 150g Cobra on sale at a local store so I got that. Hopefully she enjoys it.
anthonydgolf20
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova wraith

Postby JHern » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:26 am

anthonydgolf20 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I saw a 150g Cobra on sale at a local store so I got that. Hopefully she enjoys it.

Good choice! It is good to experiment throwing it back and forth a little bit before beginning a round.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby isobar » Fri May 03, 2013 10:58 am

A few years ago I tore my rotator cuff in my off hand. I couldn't throw for a few months. Just the force of rotating through during the throw was enough to cause severe pain. I don't know what happened in her off hand, but it very well may cause pain.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Return to General Discussion