MVP Tangent Midrange

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah, they feel fantastic in the hand. I just got a 175 one in trade today (feels heavier though) and this thing flies super smooth. Actually a little beefier than I thought it would be, like a fast Z Comet or something.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby discspeed » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Proton Tangents fly a tick slower with more glide/float, which maximizes the strengths of this mold. It's even more Comet-like than the Neutrons. It is a very easy disc to throw straight.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:32 pm

That sounds interesting but how sensitive are they to user error? Are they much more forgiving than Comets for everything else than slickness issues?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:11 am

JR wrote:That sounds interesting but how sensitive are they to user error? Are they much more forgiving than Comets for everything else than slickness issues?

They are much more forgiving than Comets...They can handle more torque and OAT. It also only glides like a Comet through about the first 80-90% of the flight, then they pretty much sit straight down where the Comet would keep the glide for it's entire speed loss/spin decay. This is what has pretty much always kept the Comet out of my bag (besides wind performance)--It's hard to range that last 10% of the Comet flight where it just keeps going. Tangent is also much less affected by head and crosswinds, yet still booms in a tailwind.

The heavier ones really sit down as they slow, where the lighter ones keep gliding more like a (heavy) Comet.

After initially falling in love with the early Ions I imagined MVP creating a midrange with most of the same characteristics...The Axis and Vector were not that disc, the Tangent is.
discspeed

Postby JR » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:29 am

Bojoing!!! Too bad it isn't probably as grippy as Comets probably. Luckily i've gained some gripping power over the winter. I need to try this baby out.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BrotherDave » Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 pm

discspeed wrote:The heavier ones really sit down as they slow, where the lighter ones keep gliding more like a (heavy) Comet.

Are you finding this true with the Proton Tangents as well, I assume? Put me in the ballpark of a Tangent that's most like those early-run Ions (weight, plastic, dome, color, whatever).
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby JR » Sat May 11, 2013 1:50 am

I fondled a Neutron Tangent at the Copenhagen Open and it was softer in the flight plate than other Neutron discs i've tried but not any tackier. In fact it felt waxy and slick. I don't know if it was greasy from previous fondlers.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 pm

This just in: The Tangent is pretty awesome.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby dgdave » Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 pm

No.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:32 am

Wow, really? I'm curious as to what makes you say that.

For me, it's the best disc I've added to my bag in at least 3 years. Does exactly what I want it to. Easily has replaced my seasoned Buzzz's and is what I always wanted the Comet to be.

If you bought one and don't like it, I'd happily take it off your hands if there's no ink.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JR » Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm

At less than full power mine did not turn and faded super late and little like a putter. I'm anxious to see what happens at full power. I wonder how many discs differ from each other and by how much. Sounds like dgdave got a worse discs than i did.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Stringbean » Wed May 15, 2013 10:56 pm

I threw one yesterday along with a QMS. Very similar flight and distance.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Sat May 18, 2013 12:20 pm

I was definitely not in the best shape after work and riding bike to the practice field. No flip whatsoever in rear wind at full run up and full power rip with mine. Yellow of lime green 176 line drive in mild rear wind topping out at 333' and headwind 313'. I got about 4 degree rear wind hyzer to 325' on the second throw. So there are good ones out there or the people that flip theirs throw faster or with less spin than i do. I switched grip to pinching hard with the index finger up and toward the palm. LIKEY!!!

I'm not sure if the couple of headwind throws that flipped two degrees were my doing or that of the wind. I got too few reps to say for sure but if it was the wind mine is a little less HSS than flat top Z Buzzz. The jury is still out until i get more throws in in different wind conditions. Depending on how far i throw other mids with the changed grip the Coyote and Buzz might be in jeopardy of being replaced in at least dry and warm conditions. If the added pinch works in wet and cold conditions i'm overjoyed. I think for headwinds i still need a more HSS straight mid which would be FLX or Glo Z Buzz for me. And Gator Star beadless for stiff headwinds.

I've not encountered any QMSs that are nearly as HSS as my Tangent. I sure hope the majority of the Tangents are as HSS as mine.

Caveat: Being too hurt so far i did not try to heel pivot or brace the right leg in the final step yet. So i think i have more distance to unlock once i get better from a surgery to the ankle last year and ramping up cycling distance and reps too quickly in the spring.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Sat May 18, 2013 5:51 pm

I like the protons better than the neutron in these. I put the tangent in the bag to be my understable bookend and it has take over my mid game. Unless it is windy or I need a biting fade I'm usually throwing my eclipse 176.
discspeed

Postby JR » Sat May 18, 2013 10:40 pm

Mine is a Neutron 176 and since i like straight discs it is exactly what i wanted. Jubuttib pointed me in the direction of flat C MD 2 supply so i might be able get one finally to see which disc is the king of straight in mids. Rattler is in the putter department and my Tangent is way more forgiving thanks to the shape and way higher HSS with only a little more LSS on a low full power rip. The fade is really low and beating in a Roc to fade as little is possible but i have not seen less fading mids including beat in versions of base plastic discs. As long as there are no slip issues thanks to the weather and not enough wind to flip this Tangent i prefer it over Coyote for more HSS and flat top Z Buzz for less fade=the best straight mid out there that i've tried. So far i've only heard rumors of one contender that is the gummy flat top C MD 2. If that cannot compete with this Tangent i know the winner.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment