Champion Beast & Leopard

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Champion Beast & Leopard

Postby Innovafan2562 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:45 pm

I just purchased one of each of these discs from DGC and wondered what other forum users that have and use these discs think of them. I'm particularly interested in opinions of the CE Leopard as I've never thrown this disc and am hoping it will be a good mid anny disc. Thanks for your responses.
Innovafan2562
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Champion Beast & Leopard

Postby Innovafan2562 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Surely there are some Beast & Leopard users out there....Let me hear ya 8)
Innovafan2562
Noob

Postby zeike524 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Do not throw the CE leopard in chilly weather! I have seen way too many break/shatter.
zeike524
Noob

Postby zeike524 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Great disc though.
zeike524
Noob

Postby Innovafan2562 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Really?!?! I didn't know they were that sensitive to the cold. Is all champion plastic that way? I've never noticed it.
Innovafan2562
Noob

Postby keltik » Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 pm

There is a difference between CE (Champion Edition) and the current run of Champion. If you have recently purchased these discs from disc golf center you did not get CE. CE is an older blend (the original if I'm not mistaken) of polyurethane discs. They can cost in the hundreds of dollars for one disc. They will break in winter because all plastics lose water content over time and thus lose structural integrity. I've broken older run TP discs (Discraft old blend similar to Elite-X) in winter before.

Now as for regular Champion Leopards. I love them. I love the glow models but the regular ones throw just fine. They start off nails straight and slowly beat some turn into them.

Beasts I'm not sure of.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby slowarm » Thu May 09, 2013 3:42 pm

What do you want to know? I'm carrying a Pro Beast and (occasionally) a Star Leo. Beast is for easy and accurate distance, Leo is a straight fairway driver and can also be thrown very far (but not by me...) Both are kinda classics, so yes, they're good discs. Neither of them is a good wind fighter. I use them both for anhyzer lines, too. No problem. If I want them to come back, I must give them some air. Of course, it depends so much on your power level and technique, so you have to go out and throw them in order to see if they do the work for you.

Champ Beast is a bit more stable than the Pro Beast, and the Champ Leo is a bit more understable than the Star Leo, I guess. Anyway, the difference isn't significant.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Champion Beast & Leopard

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu May 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Champ Beasts can vary from stable to understable. I throw Wraiths for distance, but I have a domey, low PLH Champ Beast that turns and glides like nothing else. IMO, its worlds better than a Pro Beast because it wont leave it's sweet spot for a looong time. Maybe it's just personal preference, but I never understood the like for Pro Beasts. Seems like they would be rollers off the shelf. But I digress, because they might be amazing for someone with 300' of power.

Back to the point. On the other end of the spectrum you could easily get a high PLH Champ Beast that might take on a little bit of wind...but very little.

And for Leo's...If I ever lose my beat Champ Teebird, I might temporarily replace it with one. New, they tend to be line-holding machines. Beat, they tend to be turnover discs that can rival most non-warp-speed discs for distance.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby aerodriver » Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Have been throwing Champ Beasts since I really got going in disc golf. With a hard anhyzer it'll stick with it and have a small turn right before it falls. I use mine off the tee if a hole is longer than 300' and have a pretty solid straight flight with a small amount of fade. Not too much glide (I throw 164g to 166g Beasts) as they're mostly flat. It's a good forehand disc for short holes.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Westside Warship

Postby slowarm » Fri May 10, 2013 2:53 am

Fightingthetide wrote:I never understood the like for Pro Beasts. Seems like they would be rollers off the shelf. But I digress, because they might be amazing for someone with 300' of power.

I can throw the Pro Beast up to 110meters (that's about my maximum). The thing is, I can throw the Pro Beast into 90-100m zone with ease. Normally I never use the Beast if I try to get as far as possible. Now, in my experience the Pro Beast just goes farther with less power compared to a Champ Beast. Don't know why (glide, a bit more understable?). But yes, they don't keep their sweet spot for a long time, sad but true. Although the Pro-blend is nowadays much harder than it used to be a couple of years ago.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 am

slowarm wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:I never understood the like for Pro Beasts. Seems like they would be rollers off the shelf. But I digress, because they might be amazing for someone with 300' of power.

I can throw the Pro Beast up to 110meters (that's about my maximum). The thing is, I can throw the Pro Beast into 90-100m zone with ease. Normally I never use the Beast if I try to get as far as possible. Now, in my experience the Pro Beast just goes farther with less power compared to a Champ Beast. Don't know why (glide, a bit more understable?). But yes, they don't keep their sweet spot for a long time, sad but true. Although the Pro-blend is nowadays much harder than it used to be a couple of years ago.

Great point. For those shots I have a beat DX Teebird or a beat Champ Teebird. It really comes down to finding what works for you.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat May 11, 2013 1:37 am

Beasts and Leopards are some of the best discs out there and they are classics for a reason. They allow you to score well. FTT Pro Beasts that i have are as stable as Champs and unless thrown around rocks and into trees a lot will not break in quickly. I have a two year old Pro 166 that is just fine and has not broken in much at all. Meaning it flips at 400' by a degree or two in calm weather. More in the wind just like any Beast but this one is more unpredictable due to unforeseen changes in wind speeds than a new disc. Champ, Star or Pro. Pro is a durable plastic in some molds as long as it is a good blend. Meaning fairly hard for drivers. I used a SOLF 1.1 on a rocky course for 3 years before it broke in.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 am

JR wrote:Beasts and Leopards are some of the best discs out there and they are classics for a reason. They allow you to score well. FTT Pro Beasts that i have are as stable as Champs and unless thrown around rocks and into trees a lot will not break in quickly. I have a two year old Pro 166 that is just fine and has not broken in much at all. Meaning it flips at 400' by a degree or two in calm weather. More in the wind just like any Beast but this one is more unpredictable due to unforeseen changes in wind speeds than a new disc. Champ, Star or Pro. Pro is a durable plastic in some molds as long as it is a good blend. Meaning fairly hard for drivers. I used a SOLF 1.1 on a rocky course for 3 years before it broke in.

It's never changed because you live in a frozen tundra and cold plastic doesn't warp...it shatters :wink:

But for real, that's a good find. I assumed Pro Beasts would be like any other mold in Pro - much flippier.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 am

My Pro Beasts have been very close to my Champion in flight. Mucc closer than say, Destroyers pro to star or champ.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat May 11, 2013 9:29 am

Well then...the rumors must be true. I honestly had no idea. If I didn't have a flippy Champ Beast with tall dome, I would pick one up.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment