Throwing my arm out

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throwing my arm out

Postby aprobablypostman » Thu May 09, 2013 5:40 am

I swear my arm is gonna pop right out of its socket, I'm gonna guess I'm doing something wrong...
aprobablypostman
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Wraith

Re: Throwing my arm out

Postby itlnstln » Thu May 09, 2013 6:54 am

Yeah, like using your arm... just kidding... sort of...

Basically, it sounds like you're strong-arming the disc. A lot (apparently). Driving the hips and stopping the shoulders should bring your arm along for the ride with very little arm effort. The only real arm effort exerted should be right towards the end with the elbow chop. Even then, momentum should provide much of the force needed to open the lower arm. If you're feeling it in your shoulder, you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't be using your shoulder much, if at all, other than floating the arm up to get your elbow out front.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby aprobablypostman » Thu May 09, 2013 6:59 am

So like a turn and whip type thing.
aprobablypostman
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Wraith

Postby Stringbean » Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes, the majority of the power generated by your arm should be directed in a line perpendicular to your target. Most of the forward momentum should be generated by the weight shift, legs, and rotation of your hips and shoulders (in that order).
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby itlnstln » Mon May 13, 2013 6:06 am

Right. On a day where I'm really crushing it (which for me is Teebirds > 400'), I really only feel that I'm using my wrist. My hips drive, my arm slowly creeps past my chest, then it's probably 10" inches, or so (maybe less), of movement where the disc weighs a ton and I really only feel my wrist opening - the only truly active part of the throw that involves moving my arm/wrist. There's probably more going on, but that's what it feels like

On bad days, I feel like my whole arm's into it (because it is), and I'm not getting anywhere near the same distance. When that happens, I slow down, loosen up on my grip, and focus on getting that really heavy feeling in the disc again.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Technique