Discs for young player

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discs for young player

Postby sqorbit » Tue May 14, 2013 9:15 am

My daughter has become very interested in disc golf. She's mostly just thrown my discs around at the park but really wants to try out a full course. She's a rather small 10 yr old. Strangely enough she finds FH much more comfortable and more controllable than a BH throw. I throw almost entirely RHBH. Her FH throws with my Avair are almost better than my approach shots!

Anyone have an recommendations on good discs to get her started? Any discs that will give her decent distances and control with a FH? I'd like to keep her interest going and get her something she'll feel good about throwing on a short hole for distance.
sqorbit
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc+

Re: Discs for young player

Postby zeike524 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 am

Maybe lood at the diamond by Latitude. Or maybe the new Ruby
zeike524
Noob

Postby Terrence » Tue May 14, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to the very latest discs, however, I'd recommend the Innova Panther. The Panther will glide with more speed and stability than an Aviar without a lot of power. It also has a rather narrow, thin and beadless nose which makes it easy to grip FH or BH. I've lent mine to several newbie disc golfers and they enjoyed their round. The Panther would be a decent stepping stone to the Roc too.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby money 21 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:48 pm

my son who is nine has good luck with a 145 roc. 150 eclipse and a 150 magic.
Last edited by money 21 on Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Basically, anything light and neutral/understable should do the trick. If you can find any of the Discmania LadyLine discs, those should be pretty great for her. P1, MD2 and FD are all easy to throw discs, and the LadyLine versions are very light, and immensely grippy.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Shape matters too and small diameter thin discs are easier to grip and handle so the thinnest disc available Wedge should be fine shape and flight wise.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Stringbean » Thu May 16, 2013 4:29 pm

I agree on the Panther or Wedge. Skeeter is another possibility, although it is a bit more sensitive to OAT.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby g00p3 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:43 am

For my 3 year old I bring an Aerobie ring :-) Your daughter can probably handle more, but I think it's frustrating for a very young child to see their dad through 200 ft and they get 30 if lucky.

I try to make it fun for him and a 3 year old can hit over 40ft with a little practice. Just something to think about for bringing kiddos along at first. Mix it up maybe so they don't get too frustrated.
g00p3
Noob

Favorite Disc: mvp anode

Postby sqorbit » Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 am

g00p3 wrote:For my 3 year old I bring an Aerobie ring :-) Your daughter can probably handle more, but I think it's frustrating for a very young child to see their dad through 200 ft and they get 30 if lucky.

That's assuming my drive does go 200 ft. :)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We are going out this Sunday for her 1st time. I picked up a Wedge for her to use and going to let her try some of my disks to see if she finds anything that works well.
sqorbit
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc+

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 17, 2013 12:22 pm

If you just want to let them throw long, then an Aerobie ring is indeed the easy solution. Anyone can throw that one over 300 feet if they can keep it from going too high. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jtowneagle » Tue May 21, 2013 10:36 am

Lightweight diamond should work really well...especially if you help "season" it
jtowneagle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Return to Equipment