Disc recommendations

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc recommendations

Postby aprobablypostman » Wed May 08, 2013 7:32 am

Hi everyone! New here and kind of new to disc golf. I was curious what kind of discs are most popular right now. Also I'm looking for a nice straight flyer.
aprobablypostman
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Wraith

Re: Disc recommendations

Postby zeike524 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 am

How far do you throw is a good starting point. Something that flies straight for someone that throws over 400' is probably not going to be straight for someone that maxes around 300'.
zeike524
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 am

Polecat
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby aprobablypostman » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 am

300 is unheard of in my household, we're all bad. I can throw 220ish on a good toss.
aprobablypostman
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Wraith

Postby PMantle » Wed May 08, 2013 9:49 am

aprobablypostman wrote:300 is unheard of in my household, we're all bad. I can throw 220ish on a good toss.

Avenger SS or Glide
Archangel/Leopard
Buzzz/Meteor
Putter
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby bents » Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 am

The main thing, when you're throwing 220 ft, is DON'T THROW DISTANCE DRIVERS! You could even go without drivers all together for a while... midrange discs will go almost as far for you as any driver, and be easier to control.

The problem with distance drivers is that, at your distance, the only way to throw them anywhere near straight is with really bad form. Bad form that might take years to get rid of once you can throw faster.

This is all explained in detail here: http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/tips.shtml
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Postby rko » Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 pm

I've been playing for about 5 years now and I'm wondering if throwing form really matters for different discs
rko
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Viking

Postby keltik » Wed May 08, 2013 3:02 pm

rko wrote:I've been playing for about 5 years now and I'm wondering if throwing form really matters for different discs

actually form can change from disc to disc. I throw a lid differently than I throw a mid (rhyming only slightly intended). The Comet is thrown more like a lid but it can be leaned upon. Drivers can take more torque but perform better when thrown cleanly. Torque can be applied situationally. Accuracy is king. I've realized after years of poor tourney performance that distance isn't as important as accuracy. after all this is a form of golf.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 pm

If you want to get better, learn to throw putters and mids flat, straight and far (even a DX Aviar can go 300' with only minimal hyzer if your form is clean). If you don't want to get better, it doesn't really matter what you throw.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby money 21 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 pm

pick up an eclipse and work on throwing it flat out in a field. this is a great teaching disc that will reward good form and not fly well when the form is bad.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JHern » Fri May 10, 2013 4:22 pm

If you want straight....the Buzzz is straight at 100', straight at 200', straight at 300', and still straight at 400'
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 12, 2013 4:44 pm

JHern wrote:If you want straight....the Buzzz is straight at 100', straight at 200', straight at 300', and still straight at 400'
Never thrown or seen a Buzzz thrown like that. The ones I've seen fade quite noticeably under 200' and want to turn a bit after that, but are indeed straight if you hyzerflip them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Terrence » Tue May 14, 2013 12:43 pm

bents wrote:The main thing, when you're throwing 220 ft, is DON'T THROW DISTANCE DRIVERS!

This is gospel. My first serious season (ten years ago) I could throw 250'. I remember having a Champ Orc, Champ Beast, Pro Starfire-L, and a Z-Crush in my bag! The first three on that list were of overlapping stability and the Z-Crush was (and still is) way out of my power range. Save your money, ignore the big shiny distance drivers for now.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Varsi » Wed May 15, 2013 11:19 am

jubuttib wrote:
JHern wrote:If you want straight....the Buzzz is straight at 100', straight at 200', straight at 300', and still straight at 400'
Never thrown or seen a Buzzz thrown like that. The ones I've seen fade quite noticeably under 200' and want to turn a bit after that, but are indeed straight if you hyzerflip them.

Might go like that if you have everything from beaten FLX to flat Z.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby JR » Wed May 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Buzzes in Z have varied and the flat tops with deep concavity in the wind don't flip at my top power if the rear and front of the disc are equally high. They fade if i don't throw them low. Non flat tops turn.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment