MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 am

sunspot wrote:The Volt is overrated and overhyped. It is not near as good as people make it out to be.
Based on my experiences? Yeah. It's nothing magical, but it is a good disc, and there's hope that in the future MVP will be very consistent with it, which is a reason to use it all by itself.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Fri May 17, 2013 5:04 am

Stringbean wrote:I picked up a black 168g Eclipse Volt and a red 172 Eclipse Tangent. The Volt was extremely understable... DX Leopard type of stability. The Tangent is nice, didn't get to throw it much but seemed similar to my QMS, possibly a bit more understable.

Ok another data point supporting that there are different kinds of Tangents out there and that i got a more overstable one at least in the high speed part. QMS flips for me the Tangent does not seem to although the course i played does not demand full power rips so that is yet to be checked out. I've gotten to around 90 % power generation without flipping though.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:50 am

JR wrote:
Stringbean wrote:I picked up a black 168g Eclipse Volt and a red 172 Eclipse Tangent. The Volt was extremely understable... DX Leopard type of stability. The Tangent is nice, didn't get to throw it much but seemed similar to my QMS, possibly a bit more understable.

Ok another data point supporting that there are different kinds of Tangents out there and that i got a more overstable one at least in the high speed part. QMS flips for me the Tangent does not seem to although the course i played does not demand full power rips so that is yet to be checked out. I've gotten to around 90 % power generation without flipping though.

From what I've found, the Tangent likes to be thrown on whatever angle you want it to fly on. You can intentionally flip it with some OAT, but even on full power throws it doesn't like to flip if thrown cleanly. I've collected about 7 from different sources at this point and the only differences I've seen are that the orange N is the flattest, lighter weights glide a bit better, Proton is just a tad more stable at the end of the flight and glides better. I guess I'm fortunate not to have received one that I would consider really understable. For me this disc is just plain straight and reliable.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Stringbean » Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 am

discmonkey42 wrote:
JR wrote:

From what I've found, the Tangent likes to be thrown on whatever angle you want it to fly on. You can intentionally flip it with some OAT, but even on full power throws it doesn't like to flip if thrown cleanly. I've collected about 7 from different sources at this point and the only differences I've seen are that the orange N is the flattest, lighter weights glide a bit better, Proton is just a tad more stable at the end of the flight and glides better. I guess I'm fortunate not to have received one that I would consider really understable. For me this disc is just plain straight and reliable.

I probably worded it wrong above, overall both are straight and stable mids. In my experience they both have a very small amount of HSS turn, for me the Tangent had a bit more than the QMS but neither is understable on the whole.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby sunspot » Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 pm

jubuttib wrote:
sunspot wrote:The Volt is overrated and overhyped. It is not near as good as people make it out to be.
Based on my experiences? Yeah. It's nothing magical, but it is a good disc, and there's hope that in the future MVP will be very consistent with it, which is a reason to use it all by itself.

Don't get me wrong, I want MVP to succeed. I don't think the Volt lives up to their potential. I say it is overrated due to the type of praise it receives over at DGCR. It shouldn't surprise coming from there, but it's annoying.

Here's my reasoning why I think the Volt is overrated:

1. It is hard to range. Too much power, it turns and burns; not enough power, it fades out (even with more stable Volts it does this). I'm not saying it is the worst at ranging distances, but it is not that good at it. It is less like a slightly beat Eagle and more like a slightly beat Valkyrie with less distance potential.

2. The rim width (2.0) should create the potential to go further, but I find it flying like a speed 7/8. I can throw smaller rim discs as far or further than the Volt. I don't think I can ever break 400 ft with a Volt, but I can get the PD to 400ft on a good rip.

3. The shallowness of the rim doesn't bother me as much as the combination of the shallowness and the slanted rim. It doesn't feel as comfortable to grip.

I wanted to like the Volt but couldn't find myself to be satisfied with it.

In my humble opinion, they need to make a less slanted, normal feeling disc that can pushed out further without being too squirrelly. That's why I like slightly beaten EXs and SPDs so much. You can realize it on a hyzer and let it flip up and turn and come back reliably. The EXs can be pushed out further without being too squirrelly. Whether this requires them to make a disc with a smaller rim, I don't know, but I do know that I don't like the Volt.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Hmm, I'd need to test more of them to really get a proper picture of the disc, but the one I have behaves consistently and predictably when throwing longer or shorter, and I find it very easy to get distance out of. It's definitely more faster Leo than it is an Eagle, but for what it is it works fine. I also quite like the grip, though can easily understand why other people wouldn't.

There probably are much more stable ones out there, and knowing MVP they won't be satisfied before they reign in the consistency, so I'll wait a few runs before passing proper judgment on the disc. As it stands at the moment it works well as an understable tweener fairway/distance disc, and it powers down nicely for me as well. Though it won't go in the bag, because I'm already carrying FDs which are cheaper and more readily available. =)

That's actually the main thing keeping me from increasing the amount of MVP in my bag (currently ION, Anode and Vector hold steady positions, though the MD3 might be threatening the Vector in the future), they're quite expensive and harder to get than the discs they'd be replacing (D-MD2, S-FD, S-TD), and I've already stacked up on those anyway...

EDIT: Who the hell uses DGCR hype as a reason to do/believe anything anyway? =)

EDIT2: Got a chance to go through a few stacks of Amps and Shocks, snagged myself a proper 2nd run Shock and an average looking Amp (both Stormtroopers). Man, I need to get myself a new Volt, the Amp is understable (mildly so) but it's way more stable than my Volt. Clearly the Volt isn't supposed to be like the one I have.

The 2nd run Shock though is pretty excellent, at least according to my first impression, it's nice and overstable now, and almost all of the 2nd run ones were very very close when it came to PLH, so it'd seem they've started to figure it out.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 am

Hey so I just made an online trade for a guy who said he had a tangent but actually had a tensor. Anyone want to trade me a tangent for an unthrown chartreuse 176 tensor.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discspeed » Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm responding to Sunspot's post above...not quoting because cutting and pasting on my phone sucks.

First off, regarding the discs I currently own, the Volt is not everything I had hoped after throwing the first protos. I've only had 2 Volts that have good HSS...one is lost and the other is in my bag. It is a very straight disc, sort of like a Star TL. It holds gradual hyzers and anhyzers...Nice disc to have in the bag, but not quite the workhorse I had hoped. If it had the HSS of my good ones with a bit more fade it would be a better line shaper. I can't confirm or deny, but it was certainly my hope that the Volt be fixed like the Shock.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby sunspot » Mon May 27, 2013 12:57 pm

discspeed wrote:I'm responding to Sunspot's post above...not quoting because cutting and pasting on my phone sucks.

First off, regarding the discs I currently own, the Volt is not everything I had hoped after throwing the first protos. I've only had 2 Volts that have good HSS...one is lost and the other is in my bag. It is a very straight disc, sort of like a Star TL. It holds gradual hyzers and anhyzers...Nice disc to have in the bag, but not quite the workhorse I had hoped. If it had the HSS of my good ones with a bit more fade it would be a better line shaper. I can't confirm or deny, but it was certainly my hope that the Volt be fixed like the Shock.

You and I want a PD killer. A true workhorse driver. I know MVP will do it. I hope that when they do they don't make the rim as slanted or shallow as the Volt.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sunspot » Mon May 27, 2013 12:57 pm

discspeed wrote:I'm responding to Sunspot's post above...not quoting because cutting and pasting on my phone sucks.

You and I want a PD killer. A true workhorse driver. I know MVP will do it. I hope that when they do they don't make the rim as slanted or shallow as the Volt.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ranger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Can anyone give me a quick run down of the plastics MVP makes?

They all seem kind of similar and I'm looking to get a few of the putters.
ranger
Noob

Favorite Disc: Nuke

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:01 pm

N, neutron, is a bit stiffer and slicker. It is opaque.
P, proton, is a bit softer and grippier (although many would say that none of their plastics are grippy). It is see through.
Eclipse is just proton with a white/glow overmold.
They do offer soft proton too if you want something with some give to it.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby ranger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:30 pm

is it better to go with a soft for putting?
ranger
Noob

Favorite Disc: Nuke

Postby Stringbean » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:14 pm

It's a matter of preference. Most pros seem to like stiff fwiw. I think some people prefer soft because it tends to grab the chains more. Not sure this matters much with MVP as the overmold is the same plastic whether the inside is Neutron or proton.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby discspeed » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 am

sunspot wrote:

I just managed to get one of my Shocks to finally break in a little. It's now flying quite a bit like a new yellow champystar PD...Looking forward to seeing how this works out down the road.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment