Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thr

Postby Colin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:09 pm

I can not complain about any part of my UV rattlers. I have not laid a hand on the rubbery black rattlers so I can't really compare but the UV's seem pretty grippy to me. Its been a third of a warm season since I got them and the UV rattler is no worse for wear. I would definitely recommend them.
Colin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Predator

Postby BradC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:45 am

I had one, it broke as well. Split in the center of the disc outward in three parts, up to but not through the rim.

Happened when a friend and I were playing catch, nothing serious.
BradC
Noob

Postby JR » Sun May 19, 2013 8:37 am

I found an anomalous rubber Rattler. It is a Black 163 mistamped one that is the tackiest disc i've ever handled. It feels like touching glue and no matter what the next disc i hold is it too feels tacky because something sticks in the fingers from just holding the Rattler. I put that disc in the hands of some players at the local shop i bought it from and people laughed and commented about grip locks. Leave it to me to have slips with it... :twisted: :roll:

In all honesty i was getting creative with it grip wise. I had terrible sticking issues with middle to pinky fingers on other thinner but not the thinnest putters when driving and using too much grip pressure. Naturally you cannot throw the Rattler on drives with sticking issues so i only put the outermost section of the index finger inside the disc and as little as possible of the other fingers trying two finger grip as well. That meant i could not push down with the thumb using so little finger to rubber contact. So the grip was excessively weak. No wonder i had slips because i had about putt grip strength.

The disc turned driven into a headwind at 80-90 % power by about 8 degrees. In rear wind with non OAT'd throw of 80 % power it did not flip at all!!! That is not Rattler like for me so i assume i've had problems with clean releases from the other fingers under the disc than the index finger. At 90 % i got it to 240' on tall throws with more fade than Pro D hard plastic Rattlers or light blue semi rubbery Rattler. The HSS is way better despite less weight with this black Rattler vs the others. I assume that puring every part of form in calm conditions i can get it to 250' without any flipping with a flat release. Unreal compared to my other three Rattlers. The LSS is about 0.2-0.3 more than with Pro D Rattlers of plastic or semi rubbery kind.

I need to fiddle with the grip to see if i can get clean releases with a strong grip to prevent left slips while giving it good power. It is already good to 200' released flat in some winds as long as it ain't headwind. Even in headwinds giving compensatory hyzer it is possible to throw just fine to 200'+. Color me surprised.

Has anyone come across glue tacky rubber Rattlers before? Mine has Discraft Pro Golf Discs stamp in silver.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Sun May 19, 2013 9:09 am

I got a Hero Air 235 105 gram disc and was wondering if it is PDGA approved. I might not use it in competition but you never know. That disc is super tough teacher about plane preservation.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby buggzbrown » Sun May 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Really cant stand lids, i bought a rattler as my first ever putter because it had good reviews but for me, it was just impossible to use, way too inconsistent. Changed to a magnet and haven't looked back.
buggzbrown
Noob

Favorite Disc: zombee

Postby Yig » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:03 am

Thread Resurrection !

I've been using a Super Puppy off and on during this year. I thought it was a Birdie. Went golfin with a friend and he lent it to another friend , and somehow I ended up with it. I figured out it wasn't a Birdie when I realised the Birdie has a Thumbtrack , and mine didn't . A Bit of Googling and I found out it was a Super Puppy. Has the Grateful Dead Skeleton and Roses graphic.

I dig it quite a bit. I typically just use it for putting. I love how it floats and just takes forever to get to the basket. Oops, I missed. Ah, no big deal, the Lid is only a few feet away. :D

Lovin' Lids as putters. Just ordered my bro in law a 164g blue Rattler for a Christmas gift. He currently has an Innova XD and is constantly struggling with it. Hopefully he'll like the Rattler as much as I like the Super Puppy.

Any advice on a Lid that flies like a brick ? I would like to try some other Lids, but am interested in trying one that has minimal/no fade and not much glide. Trying to keep from over throwing the basket. I typically straddle putt (I think) . Basically I throw big rainbows shots, LOL.

I've got a bid in on a 175g Birdie , so that might fit the bill, if I win it. IDK.

Thanks.
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Old Champ Cobra

Postby dgdave » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Gopher
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Yig » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:29 pm

dgdave wrote:Gopher

Where is the "skip track" button, I think the disc is scratched. . . . . :wink:

Is that a serious answer to my question ?

BTW , I won the Birdie, it's a 175g.
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:36 am

I have not thrown a Piranha but it may be like that and it is hard to find.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tbird888 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:11 am

I have a Champ Birdie that has very little glide compared to the Polecats I regularly carry. I haven't tried any other plastic, but one in Champ should fit the bill if you can find one.
tbird888
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:51 pm

I got a light DX Birdie to maximize the glide but the light weight also helps to reduce gyroscopics and start the fade early. Is it true also of the heavy ones? The light ones veer off course at longer ranges and still blow by far despite being tilted thanks to the good glide at such a low weight. IIRC mine is a 150.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby dgdave » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Gopher and piranha are the 2 best lids. Ever. Period.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Yig » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Heavy or light ? What weight ? What's so great about them ?

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Postby dgdave » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Heavy piranhas and gophers in 145ish.

Piranhas for wind, overstable, and rips. Gopher for true flight. And the stamps are the 2 best ever.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Yig » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Ebay , $45 for a Gopher, $90 for a Piranha.

No thanks. No disc is worth that much to me, not even if I aced every hole. What fun would that be ?

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment