First post ever- New to Game - looking for help

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

First post ever- New to Game - looking for help

Postby arm33 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi, Ive been playing for about 3 months, but am addicted to the game and have been playing every day after work. Just looking for some help with my bag. I have been reading everything I can find on the game, watching videos and trying to improve. i try to throw putter/mid only rounds two or three times a week.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: About 3 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some overhand
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 240/275'; Buzzz: 260/290';Valkyrie: 315/340'

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: none
Other sport proficiencies?: played division 1 basketball in college
Additional Information: Biggest issue in my form is throwing with a slight anhyzer when trying to throw level and getting a consistent release from my grip.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: i feel like I need help with handling wind and getting discs that will feel comfortable in my hands. unsure if I should add a speed 10 or more driver to my bag.

Specific areas of desired feedback: What direction to take with my drivers, what to drop, anything to add, trouble dealing with strong winds in Oklahoma with my current set-up. I am 6'5 and have huge hands so it is hard to grip Leopards, Teebirds, or anything with a small rim.
Immediate and long-term goals: improving my bag, contiunuing to improve consistency, being able to handle with confidence the crazy wind in Oklahoma

Here is my current bag set-up. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Wizard SS 175 - putting and approaching, short drives
Wizard SS 175 - backup putter, practice putter
Buzzz Z 175 - midrange, slightly beat (also have a 175 new BUZZ in ESP that I use during practice rounds)
Leopard Champ 165- straight shots, a little more stable than I was expecting, dont like the grip
Teebird Champ 167 - Straight shots with a little fade at the end, slightly beat, decent in mild winds, don't like the grip
River GL 166 - understable driver, good distance but horrible in the wind, decent grip in my hands
Banshee Champ 167 - tomahawks up to 300", will power down and use as an overstable midrange on occasion because Buzzzes dont seem great in the wind
Firebird Champ 166 - headwind driver, flex shots
Valkyrie Star 166 - Max D driver, straight shots, can get tossed in anything above a light wind, grip feels ok in my hands

Thank you for reading this, I am open to any suggestions. Can I disc up? Do I have overlap? Am I on the right track? What are some good drivers/fairway drivers for bigger hands that will be something I can handle at my distances? Any other suggestions, I am open to criticism and eager to learn. I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks a lot! I do love this game. - Andrew
arm33
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Re: First post ever- New to Game - looking for help

Postby NeuralBlaze » Mon May 20, 2013 6:17 pm

That looks like a pretty good setup! If you don't like the Teebird and Leopard grip definitely drop them, no point in playing with a disc if you don't like the feel.

I throw PDs and Rivers myself, so that's all I can speak to in the Teebird / Leopard spots. If you like the grip on the Firebird the PD is the same bottom half with the Discrmania 'Anhyzer' top half. The PD is faster than the Teebird, and will likely fade more unless beaten in. The Gospel of the PD thread can fill you in better than I can on further details.

A heavier or Opto River might fight the wind a bit better.

I would think that the Banshee and Firebird overlap a good bit, but I see why you would carry both if you're using a Buzzz as your only midrange. I haven't thrown a Predator but from what I've read it may serve as a good headwind disc that's further than the Firebird. Between the Banshee and Firebird you really should have all the headwind duties covered. If you're looking for longer the PD would work, or one of the easier to throw max-d discs like a Wraith or Destroyer.

You can probably get everything done with a Buzzz but you may want to look into a more stable midrange to compliment it, like a Wasp or Gator. I throw a MVP Vector as my stable mid, but I use a Wasp as my backup. A powered down Firebird covers any shots that need more stability.
Wizard // JOKERi // Anode // Fuse // Axis // Vector // Firebird // Amp // River // PD
NeuralBlaze
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Welcome. The wider winged and faster longer Fury from Latitude fades more powered down than the River but at more power than you have straightens up nicely so depending on the course and your future progress it might become better.The Fury is a little more wind handling disc than the River at 400' so at your power it has some extra safety margin but it still on't be a headwind disc like a C PD. PDs are great for handling winds in C Line but it fades more than P and S with the P beating in to straighter and flippier sooner than the very durable S. They change a lot between the discs though so the plastics are only a general indication. C PD in a headwind is straighter than the Firebird and longer.

It is weird that the Buzz being smaller than the Teebird and the Leo did not make you complain about the grip. An omission or a sign of using a different grip or a clue as to your preferences? Which grips do you use for which discs?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby arm33 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 pm

When I throw the Buzzz, I to get a comfortable enough grip I have to put my index finger in a sort of fan position towards the center of the flight plate. I try to use the driving power grip on every shot except for shots with the Buzzz, and approaches and puts. I use a fan grip on putts and approaches. Thanks for the help.
arm33
Noob

Postby arm33 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Similar problems with the Banshee grip. I usually throw it only for tomahawks. Which grip would be better for me in the overstable mid slot...gator or wasp? I wont be able to get a feel for them before I buy. i have to order online.
arm33
Noob

Postby arm33 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:57 pm

oh, i ordered a 174 Z Comet the other day to work on form.
arm33
Noob

Postby JR » Fri May 24, 2013 1:24 am

Good luck with the Comet it is brutal. Latitude 64 XXX is possible a little easier for you to grip than the Banshee and a little more overstable. An ever easier grip could be Gateway Spirit but it is noticeably more overstable. A no brainer gripping overstable driver would be the fast and much longer Discraft Force. Regarding overstable mids don't count out Millennium Sentinel that has no bead which could be an issue for getting clean rips out of. Gators in Star don't have beads but do in Champs at least mostly so and the Wasp is tall and has a Bead. A slightly straighter but overstable and tall so friendlier to grip mid would be the hardest plastic version from Latitude called the Mace. I have not checked which is the hardest plastic they make that disc in. Opto is the hardest then GL and Zero hard will nick soon. The Mace is taller and friendlier for large hands than the Wasp. The Gator without the Bead is taller and wider winged than the Sentinel and dependiing on how beads feel for you easier or worse than Wasps. Close to the Mace. A Gator with a bead will be taller for the grip with either easier or worse grip for clean releases. Generally people like me with small hands suffer with beads so i have no experience of Champ Gators that often have beads and many larger hands have an easier time with beaded discs. YMMV. without knowing your preferences and how cleanly beaded tall discs leave your hand i cannot even guess which disc would have the highest chance of working for you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion