Mark Ellis Confidence putting program...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mark Ellis Confidence putting program...

Postby chainchaser » Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 am

Here is a log of doing the program

Today will be my 30th session of doing this program. What an unbelievable difference this has made in my putting confidence. Yesterday at idlewild I made so many putts in the 20-25 ft range I was just amazed. Shots that in the past I had no confidence in making I was consistently hitting. Anything under 20 was easy money. Even hit a couple 30-50 ftr's also. I can say without a doubt this program works and if you struggle with putting like me or just want to improve your putting do the program. The above link shows my complete progression through the program with the last entry that I will add later tonight.

THANK YOU MARK ELLIS!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :clap:
chainchaser
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Surge SS

Re: Mark Ellis Confidence putting program...

Postby Jeronimo » Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 am

I NEED to do this.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby chainchaser » Mon May 20, 2013 2:05 pm

I definitely recommend it!!! I can't tell how many pars it saved for me out on the course and how many birdies I had because i had the confidence that I could make the putt.
chainchaser
Tree Magnet

Postby soupdeluxe » Mon May 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey CC
I could not agree with you more on the effectiveness of this program. Stand where you can make it, don't worry about mechanics, 30 min a day. Sounds to good to be true but it works. I think this works on a couple of different levels. It helps you form a solid routine and most important of all gives you confidence. My patio has 2 foot tiles so I can gauge distance easily. I start about 6 feet away and take steps back as I progress. I am now solid to about 18 feet. I used to sweat these but now I seem to enjoy them. Before every putt I say to myself I can make this and most often do at this range. I am now working on a straddle putt which is a real weakness in my game using this method. 30 to 50 % of all shots are putts so this is a great way to lower scores. I find most of the people I have suggested this program to don't seem real enthusiastic about doing it???? Go figure. It is also fun to see others faces fall when they think they have you by the short ones and you bury the putt.
SD
soupdeluxe
Noob

Favorite Disc: XD

Postby chainchaser » Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 am

Definitely agree. We went to the course this past sunday and kind of pick up a kid along the way who was there by himself, so me and my son asked if he wanted to join us. This kid was 16 and really had a great arm on him. As went went around the course, which was idlewild in KY, I was making some great 20-25ft putts and some even longer. We got to 14 and I made a great 25'ftr with a straddle putt and he was like"man it seems i need to do this program" and I told him before I did this I would have never even come close on that putt. I now go to every putt thinking I can make which i did not have before doing this program. Not saying that i will do what I did every time I hit the course and you always have bad days but I now have such confidence inside the circle I know that I can fix it if i do start having issues. I really think this program would work for experienced players as well has beginners and definitely for someone who maybe having issues with being in a slump or something like that.
chainchaser
Tree Magnet

Postby jtowneagle » Wed May 22, 2013 7:57 am

After practicing making shorter putts my putting is greatly improved. Only when I get shaken do things turn poorly. I took a double circle seven yesterday because my putts didn't fall and rolled ob.
jtowneagle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby ranger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

I recently started this as well but I have a question. I know you are supposed to do the 15 min practice sessions at a comfortable range but what do you do if it's windy?

I was at about 18 feet and doing well but I was missing some when the wind was gusting. Do I stick at that range or move even closer as to not miss any putts?
ranger
Noob

Favorite Disc: Nuke

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 am

ranger wrote:...Do I stick at that range or move even closer as to not miss any putts?

Putting confidence is about making putts. It's not a bad idea to practice windy putts, but if you're trying to build your confidence I'd take a step or two forward if you're missing.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 am

ranger wrote:...Do I stick at that range or move even closer as to not miss any putts?

Putting confidence is about making putts. It's not a bad idea to practice windy putts, but if you're trying to build your confidence I'd take a step or two forward if you're missing.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm

ranger wrote:I recently started this as well but I have a question. I know you are supposed to do the 15 min practice sessions at a comfortable range but what do you do if it's windy?

I was at about 18 feet and doing well but I was missing some when the wind was gusting. Do I stick at that range or move even closer as to not miss any putts?

Not that I have much insight into this particular program but my thinking is to move as close as is needed to make your putts. :) You don't have to make ALL your putts to improve your skills and with them your confidence. Everybody misses some putts. If you make most of your close putts you can live with it, even in competition against fine players.

Putting is not like free throws in basketball where the conditions are always the same. We face different conditions on every putt: distance, wind, obstacles, playing surface, risk past the basket, etc. So practice needs to be constantly changing as well. If the conditions make putting harder then move close enough so you can hit solid metal consistently and don't move farther away until your success justifies it.

Some players have special weaknesses. For years I couldn't straddle putt well. Well, more candidly, I sucked. So when I went through this program, which I have done several times through the years, I needed to move closer for straddles. Through practice I overcame my troubles with straddles. Now I straddle any time it is the most logical choice and my odds are as good as with staggered putts.

Really a straddle is no harder than a stagger. It is just different and mostly a mental thing. Putting in the wind IS much harder than dead air. The margin of error is smaller. The penalty for missing is greater. Putting in strong and/or swirling and/or gusting winds can be brutal. All the more reason to cement your skills and confidence from short range, where you need it most.

To all of you in the program I wish you good motivation. Putting woes can be overcome with diligence. The program is not a short term fix, it is a long term benefit.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby bents » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 am

I'm also doing the program. It's been about a week. I'm not actually putting better yet. But not worrying about mechanics has definitely helped my mechanics! I used to have a problem trying different little things with my wrist or shoulders or something, but I think I've been doing about the same thing consistently since I made myself not worry about it.

My question is about whether I should practice putting when I'm feeling uncoordinated, hungover, sick, or otherwise miserable at putting for some reason. For example, if I did strength training in the morning and the soreness/tiredness is making me uncoordinated, and I'm missing half of my 10 or 15 foot putts, should I step closer, so that I'm making most of my 8 foot putts? Or is the bad performance undermining confidence and benefits?
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Postby chainchaser » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:48 pm

bents wrote:I'm also doing the program. It's been about a week. I'm not actually putting better yet. But not worrying about mechanics has definitely helped my mechanics! I used to have a problem trying different little things with my wrist or shoulders or something, but I think I've been doing about the same thing consistently since I made myself not worry about it.

My question is about whether I should practice putting when I'm feeling uncoordinated, hungover, sick, or otherwise miserable at putting for some reason. For example, if I did strength training in the morning and the soreness/tiredness is making me uncoordinated, and I'm missing half of my 10 or 15 foot putts, should I step closer, so that I'm making most of my 8 foot putts? Or is the bad performance undermining confidence and benefits?

For me 30 days straight was not possible. I had times where I missed a couple days in a row and one time I was sick and missed I think 3 days in a row, but I did return to it and it took a session to get back in the swing of it but then i was right back into the swing of things.

Mark Ellis wrote:
Not that I have much insight into this particular program but my thinking is to move as close as is needed to make your putts. :) You don't have to make ALL your putts to improve your skills and with them your confidence. Everybody misses some putts. If you make most of your close putts you can live with it, even in competition against fine players.

Putting is not like free throws in basketball where the conditions are always the same. We face different conditions on every putt: distance, wind, obstacles, playing surface, risk past the basket, etc. So practice needs to be constantly changing as well. If the conditions make putting harder then move close enough so you can hit solid metal consistently and don't move farther away until your success justifies it.

Some players have special weaknesses. For years I couldn't straddle putt well. Well, more candidly, I sucked. So when I went through this program, which I have done several times through the years, I needed to move closer for straddles. Through practice I overcame my troubles with straddles. Now I straddle any time it is the most logical choice and my odds are as good as with staggered putts.

Really a straddle is no harder than a stagger. It is just different and mostly a mental thing. Putting in the wind IS much harder than dead air. The margin of error is smaller. The penalty for missing is greater. Putting in strong and/or swirling and/or gusting winds can be brutal. All the more reason to cement your skills and confidence from short range, where you need it most.

To all of you in the program I wish you good motivation. Putting woes can be overcome with diligence. The program is not a short term fix, it is a long term benefit.

Thanks Mark and I am not how many thanks I could put out there to you for this program. This past weekend with a casual round with the family i started off missing two 20ftr's. I then stepped back, refocused and hit all my 20ftr's and in from then on. Even hit a few 25 ftr's but also missed a few 25ftr's. The difference between before this program and now is that missing the two 20ftr's at the beginning and a couple 25ftr's did not ruin my round and I finished off strong. I plan to do the program in about a month again so I can continue to gain more confidence.
chainchaser
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:05 pm

bents wrote:I'm also doing the program. It's been about a week. I'm not actually putting better yet. But not worrying about mechanics has definitely helped my mechanics! I used to have a problem trying different little things with my wrist or shoulders or something, but I think I've been doing about the same thing consistently since I made myself not worry about it.

Putting is the hardest part of the game because the margin of error is so small. You can have a bad day putting (statistically) and never miss by more than a smidgen. You can come within a hairsbreadth of a perfect putt time and time again and still miss. Your opponents are slopping them in and you are throwing cleaner, closer, better putts and picking them out of the dirt.

When the day comes for that big tournament you have been preparing for for months you might be sick or injured or unlucky. Those are just excuses. You know that. You know the really good players, those guys who have your number, somehow find a way to overcome problems. You need to do the same. So if you have to play in any conditions or situations then you have to practice in every situation or condition. List all your excuses here. Then walk away from them.

Nobody makes every putt. Nobody has good putting days every day. You must find a way to do damage control on bad days. So when you have a bad practice day thank your lucky stars it is just a practice day and not a day that matters. Learn from it. Learn how to overcome whatever the problems are. If you need to start at drop in putts and only move back from there so be it.

This program is about about building a base, a comfort zone, and knowing what kinds of putts you will hit consistently. No matter what level of skill you start with, with practice you will cement an expertise and gradually build upon it. If you miss, move in. If you make, slowly, gradually move away or otherwise increase the difficulty. Back and forth. Find your comfort zone and push out the edges. Don't worry if you are getting better. You will. It is inevitable. Don't be in a hurry. Focus on the next putt. Every morning when you get up you will be a day older and a day better.

I watched a reigning World Champion break his hand and finish a tournament with his opposite hand-and still cashed! Let someone else make excuses.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:01 pm

chainchaser wrote: Thanks Mark and I am not how many thanks I could put out there to you for this program. This past weekend with a casual round with the family i started off missing two 20ftr's. I then stepped back, refocused and hit all my 20ftr's and in from then on. Even hit a few 25 ftr's but also missed a few 25ftr's. The difference between before this program and now is that missing the two 20ftr's at the beginning and a couple 25ftr's did not ruin my round and I finished off strong. I plan to do the program in about a month again so I can continue to gain more confidence.

The program is a stepping stone, not an end all. Once you have finished the very significant time commitment this program represents you need to transition back into the real world- to making putts under real pressure. Real pressure comes in the rounds that mean the most to you. These are the putts that mean the most to you.

All the practice in the world is no guarantee you will make that 30 foot putt on the last hole to win a big tournament against top competitors.

Confidence in practice has to build so it can translate into confidence in small rounds and then build into confidence in big rounds. It is a process and there is no shortcut to it.

So let your real world experience determine when you want to jump back into a month of ritualistic short range practice. For what its worth I usually do a session of this program once a year and find I get cumulative benefit from doing so.

So congratulations on finishing the program. The benefit is long term. You will never know the futility you had before as you have raised yourself to a new level. Your bad days will never be as bad and your good days will find new heights. Any time you feel yourself slipping you can go back to the basic principles. Spend a few minutes practicing and be sure to move close enough to consistently hit solid putts and regain the confidence you need and deserve.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby chainchaser » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
chainchaser wrote: Thanks Mark and I am not sure how many thanks I could put out there to you for this program. This past weekend with a casual round with the family i started off missing two 20ftr's. I then stepped back, refocused and hit all my 20ftr's and in from then on. Even hit a few 25 ftr's but also missed a few 25ftr's. The difference between before this program and now is that missing the two 20ftr's at the beginning and a couple 25ftr's did not ruin my round and I finished off strong. I plan to do the program in about a month again so I can continue to gain more confidence.

The program is a stepping stone, not an end all. Once you have finished the very significant time commitment this program represents you need to transition back into the real world- to making putts under real pressure. Real pressure comes in the rounds that mean the most to you. These are the putts that mean the most to you.

All the practice in the world is no guarantee you will make that 30 foot putt on the last hole to win a big tournament against top competitors.

Confidence in practice has to build so it can translate into confidence in small rounds and then build into confidence in big rounds. It is a process and there is no shortcut to it.

So let your real world experience determine when you want to jump back into a month of ritualistic short range practice. For what its worth I usually do a session of this program once a year and find I get cumulative benefit from doing so.

So congratulations on finishing the program. The benefit is long term. You will never know the futility you had before as you have raised yourself to a new level. Your bad days will never be as bad and your good days will find new heights. Any time you feel yourself slipping you can go back to the basic principles. Spend a few minutes practicing and be sure to move close enough to consistently hit solid putts and regain the confidence you need and deserve.

Great and thanks again. I will keep that in mind and probably hold off doing it again this soon then. I really need to work on other aspects of my game so I will do that. The great thing is I can do that and still revert back to this for some good putting practice sessions. You know what is the worst part is I went for almost 5 years of being just terrible at putting and really it just took a little over 30 days to change my attitude of not only putting but also disc golf in general. It is so much more fun playing when I know that I can hit 20 ftr's consistently or at least have the confidence I can than when before this I would just get so frustrated I would just give up.

For anyone who is out there on the fence of doing this I will say it has been the most positive influence i have yet to try out there of any training or improvement program.
chainchaser
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique