Please critique: breaking 300

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Please critique: breaking 300

Postby MrSpeedyB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:32 pm

I've been playing about twice a week for a year. In that time I've gone from awful to mediocre. I play mosty wooded courses (Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, Black Mouse in Felton California) but this week I'm in Palm Springs! There's a little 9-hole course here that's mostly open and I've taken it as an opportunity to work on my distance driving.

My current average driving length is around 230' with a Star Leopard (168g). On occasion I get out to 270' with my Star Valkyrie (167g). Throws with the Champ Teebird (168g) are similar in length to the Star Leo, of course with less turn and more fade (given my power the Champ TB is my overstable/utility driver right now). Without an x-step my Leo drives are between 195-215'.

Here a video of my throwing six discs in a row:

http://youtu.be/Aw-1nD0vAL0

S Aviar 168 - 192'
P Fiend 166 - 213'
P Fiend 167 - 219'
S Leo 168 - 264'
C TB 168 - 252'
S Valk 167 - 234'

You can see I hit close to my max D with the Leo throw (although I pulled it a bit right) and my throw with the Valk was up and faded hard—resulting in less D. A good throw with the Valk looks a lot like my Leopard toss but a hair farther.

So, what do y'all think I can work on to stretch my distance out to 300' consistently? Accuracy is a major concern of mine as well, playing primarily wooded courses. What are my flaws? How should I work on them? Does my current disc selection seem OK?
MrSpeedyB
Noob

Re: Please critique: breaking 300

Postby bsnone1 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 pm

What kind of grip are you using? I mention this as it appears that you tend to get the nose angle pointed towards the sky as opposed to flat. The north south arm movement accentuates this. Think straight back, straight through. When you throw the disc you are throwing "around" your body - not down a straight line. Search youtube for the fairly recent Will Schusterick driving video - this video has some GREAT advice for what to do AND what NOT to do. I'd also look to develop your x-step - you can cross over your foot leaving most of your weight on your back leg then shift your weight as you drive the disc through the shot.

Spend some serious time on youtube. Search for Dave Feldberg Clinics, watch the Schusterick video. Work on what you see. Come back here, read the mainpage articles. Read them again. Then jump to the maxing out at 300 thread. There is so much good information on here that sometimes it becomes overwhelming - I constantly go back and reread entire threads and usually can pick up new things every single time.

As far as your bag goes, I'd probably look at getting a comet/stingray and a buzzz/roc. Midrange discs should go around 200-225 at your power level and are great control discs.

On top of that, try and play with better players. I was fairly stuck playing with my normal group of friends and then about 3 months ago started playing leagues at the most challenging course in my area. Everyone was better than I was but I got good advice - often times mid round and I've watched my scores go from mid-70s with 250ft drives to low 60s with 330ft drives.

Good luck!
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Re: Please critique: breaking 300

Postby JR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 pm

Ken climo mando minute video shows rounding something that you do. Right pec drill is needed to get the elbow forward search for it here. Also bracing where you stop the plant step in place for the pause something that you need too. In order to get any help to the hips twisting and the shoulders turning. Seeing the suggested videos shows what those things are. See my signature and see what moving the plant step to the right in 4" steps does to annies and consistency. The follow through step should be a mirror of the plant step in a flat throw so it should land on the same line as the other steps or in a stand still on the center of the tee when throwing flat and straight ahead. I would also try a champ 150 valk and when bliz beast arrive it too. Waiting for that release you might want to start learning the x step.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique