Carbon Disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Carbon Disc

Postby TylerSeamons » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm a college student launching a project to make discs from carbon fiber. I'm raising the money to start production through pre-orders on the Kickstarter website.
If you're interested you should check it out at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/632 ... arbon-disc

The Disc Golf version of the disc will have a carbon fiber center with a flexible and durable plastic rim that will add the necessary weight and also keep the edge safe. It will be a driver about 10 inches across and around 175 grams. Also, I'm aware that these discs may not be PDGA standard due to flexibility requirements, but standards can change and either way these discs will be fun to have and they fly great.

I am looking to get some feedback about these discs and ways I could improve it. Please let me know of any questions/suggestions/concerns you have for the discs.
TylerSeamons
Noob

Re: Carbon Disc

Postby aerodriver » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:30 pm

What's the molding process like for these discs? Is it a multi-stage affair in having to mold the plastic rim around the carbon fiber flight plate? Also, what mold of driver are you using in the process? Is it a high-speed driver or is it more of a fairway or control disc? It's a neat concept, like MVP is doing with their overmolding process, but I'm not sure it'll have the same or similar flight characteristics/benefits. I'm also not certain carbon fiber discs would be a big hit among those disc golfers/frisbee enthusiasts that like the inexpensive nature of the game. How will the cost per disc be kept down while using carbon fiber?
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Re: Carbon Disc

Postby martinb » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 am

unfortunately your carbon fiber disc will not be an approved disc golf disc.... you should still be able to sell them, but just like the aerobie not allowed in competition.
Play Disc Golf
martinb
Noob

Favorite Disc: putter

Return to Equipment