MVP Tangent Midrange

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:21 pm

JR wrote:this Tangent i prefer it over Coyote for more HSS and flat top Z Buzz for less fade=the best straight mid out there that i've tried.


What? Better than JR's Coyotes? You recanting that statement now that you've had the Tangent a few weeks? I tried several Coyotes, a couple glows, a couple stars, and a champ. I liked the Coyote's distance potential, similar to the Buzzz, but prefer the sharper feeling inner rim of the QMS over the thicker more rounded feeling Coyote rim.

I bag a new and seasoned Z Buzzz and two QMSs for stable depending on how much fade I need. The beat in Buzzz will flip up or track right if thrown low and flatish to around 300' and finished with a reliable fade. My newer QMS has lots of HSS for straight with later more gradual fade than the seasoned Z Buzzz and my seasoned QMS will flip up to straight or turnover with practically no fade unless given a fair amount of height.

I've thrown the same opaque 167 Ion for almost two years for putting and upshots under 175' and its getting too easy to OAT into a understable flier at this point. Discspeed's comment about the Tangent similar to Ion has me interested. How does the Tangent's rim compare to the Ion, they look similar, and what's the distance potential at the same power level compared to a Z Buzzz :?:
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby JR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:53 pm

I have not been throwing lately so i do not know about the relative distance of the tangent and the buzz. Grip is like with the ion. I have not thrown new more HSS qms so i do not know about it but the stability Sounds like the tangent. The tackiness of the qms should be better so i need to test one later. How do i recognize a new more HSS qms? I am not at home so it will take time but i have a buzz and a tangent with me. The coyote comes in tackier plastic but it is poorer in HSS flipping with roughly the same fade more speed and less glide so idk about the relative distance.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11493
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Sorry JR, all my QMSs are ce and you've already written there's not much ce across the pond. Perhaps zj or another could post a comment/pic of a decent HSS newer run of QMS. IIRC zj liked the recent sparkle run :?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby JR » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:16 am

I did not have a chance to do a side by side comparison really with my FLX Buzz vs the Tangent but they are probably fairly close in D just flying differently. The Tangent slowly with glide and the Buzz fast without much glide. I assume that the Coyote will stay the longest of the bunch. And as long as slipping is not a problem the Tangent is the most reliable straight disc out of these. As much HSS as the Buzz with less LSS and more HSS than the Coyote with similar to a hair less LSS=straight and reliable indeed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11493
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 am

JR wrote:I did not have a chance to do a side by side comparison really with my FLX Buzz vs the Tangent but they are probably fairly close in D just flying differently. The Tangent slowly with glide and the Buzz fast without much glide. I assume that the Coyote will stay the longest of the bunch. And as long as slipping is not a problem the Tangent is the most reliable straight disc out of these. As much HSS as the Buzz with less LSS and more HSS than the Coyote with similar to a hair less LSS=straight and reliable indeed.



Sounds like an overlap to my QMSs except the that the QMS is shorter than my Buzzzes and the Coyotes I tested.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby JR » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:27 pm

I took a a few mids out for a shootout and the Tangent flew like i thought it did. Meaning extremely dependent on apex height regarding distance. There is little margin of error out in the longest 10 % of D height wise. Thrown to 7-10' height i got it to 290-300' usually and at 11-13'ish to 310' and at about 14' to 320'. Higher than that reduced the D to 300'. Z Buzz topped out at 320', Neutron Axis at 323', Star 180 Coyote at 346' and 180 Champ King Cobra on a rare perfect feeling pull to my mid flat land record of 356' although the throws were usually in a mild rear wind. The previous record was 350' in a similar rear wind with Buzz and Coyote at 350'. The forecast was 7 MPH but i was out early enough to avoid most of the wind and the KC toss had the wind behind it. I did not get optimal shots with the KC in calm weather but a good pull went to 330'. It is a very nice disc indeed thrown hard. And way way more HSS than the Coyote and much more penalizing for underpowered throws.

The Tangent flew slowly gliding for a long time. It needs more height than Buzz and other faster discs like Axis and Stalker. The Z 172 Stalker surprised me. I got a little more power since i've last thrown it and it straightened out nicely in the end of the flight on lower lines and was less curving (none) than Champ Leo i compared it to. Also less fading which was novelty for me because previously i did not get it to fly fast enough to delay the fade so late that it dropped to the ground before a lot of sideways movement. The real surprise was that the Stalker outdistanced the Leo for the first time for me b a foot. Previously the Leo had a 10' edge. So the Stalker needs a lot of use on all the courses around here because it takes winds better, is straighter on full power pulls and has more margin of error except for underpowering. Which is needed on some holes. Interesting times for mid and slow FW bag spot battle. Leo and Z Buzz are challenged.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11493
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby Stringbean » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:50 pm

JR wrote:The Tangent flew slowly gliding for a long time. It needs more height than Buzz and other faster discs like Axis and Stalker. The Z 172 Stalker surprised me. I got a little more power since i've last thrown it and it straightened out nicely in the end of the flight on lower lines and was less curving (none) than Champ Leo i compared it to. Also less fading which was novelty for me because previously i did not get it to fly fast enough to delay the fade so late that it dropped to the ground before a lot of sideways movement. The real surprise was that the Stalker outdistanced the Leo for the first time for me b a foot. Previously the Leo had a 10' edge. So the Stalker needs a lot of use on all the courses around here because it takes winds better, is straighter on full power pulls and has more margin of error except for underpowering. Which is needed on some holes. Interesting times for mid and slow FW bag spot battle. Leo and Z Buzz are challenged.


Can the Stalker hold lines as well as the Leo?
Stringbean
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin
Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby JR » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Depends on the definition of holding which line. I was pounding all out flat shots yesterday with flat releases with the Stalker for no flipping unless there was headwind and the Leo in Champ 175 flipped each time. I need to throw the Stalker at different lines and also less than 100 % power to see what they do now but i did use them earlier when they came out and back then i had less power and they faded out earlier than Leos and that has changed on low lines. The Leo is so much less HSS that on higher lines or underpowered it can remain annied longer but at lower full power plane breaking low OAT i accidentally annied the Stalker to land flat at 300' plus skidding on the ground farther. It had no chance of fighting out of anny at that power with something like 8-9' apex and 3-4 degree anny. The Stalker fades out earlier on higher throws probably on every angle hyzer to anhyzer. I don't know of the relative distances of the Leo vs Stalker hyer vs anny yet. I imagine that the fade of the Stalker on high lines might add a little more hyzer angle after the apex than the initial hyzer angle. Which is no problem for the Leo.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11493
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests