Like Many Others, Falling Short of 300ft

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Like Many Others, Falling Short of 300ft

Postby aerodriver » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Here's a video of some drives I had today. I'd like to increase my distance to 300 feet and beyond and am wondering if my form can be improved to do so. Thanks for any insight!

http://youtu.be/mO4REwi3OGo
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Re: Like Many Others, Falling Short of 300ft

Postby JR » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:24 am

You lack the pause so i'd read up on that. It leads to not getting the elbow forward at all sapping snap severely. Your balance is forward and tilted to the right and you should be more upright. The throws seem to leave nose up which slows the disc down soon robbing a lot of distance. It looks like your wrist is neutral and that means that with a regular grip the front of the disc is higher than the rear. You absolutely need to push the wrist down and maintain it there (not easy) so that the disc is parallel with the forearm bones or even front lower than the rear. Removing some fingers from the grip may help in raising the rear of the disc to or a little below the innermost joint of the thumb.

If you looked straight back you'd be able to reach back farther with the arm to create more power generation potential. You might be able to accelerate the arm harder later in the throw muscle usage wise. Getting the elbow forward will do that form wise but using both gives better results.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby aerodriver » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks so much JR. I worked on my form today and saw an increase in not only my distance but my turnover shots actually turning over instead of being forced out there. My arm feels great. Can't wait to play in my first tournament Saturday!
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Try to put more of that follow through momentum into the disc(the rear leg kicking forward). Someone posted a video of a Fight Science episode on another critique page about muscles and momentum when you are punching someone. You should be trying to get as much of the energy and momentum you are creating, to go into the disc. One thing I did that helped me with this was to take my discs and grip them fairly hard, then I started with a small easy arm swing and snap(RHBH) just standing, and increased it until I could get the disc to "pop" out. My goal was to get the disc to "pop" out with a good strong grip at the least amount of power possible. The disc won't go far, but it will probably go further than you think it will. It helped a lot with my timing as well as accuracy. It is more of a tempo drill I guess, but it was one of the "clicks" for me to break 300.

Just a nice smooth flat stroke focusing on getting your small amount of momentum behind your snap and into the disc. I suggest using something midrange or fairway driver with a comfortable rim.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby aerodriver » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:47 pm

From JR's recommendation, I turned further backwards to gain more momentum and changed my grip from a 4-finger power grip to a 3-finger power grip. I have huge palms but short fingers and my pinky had to grip too hard to get around the disc. Without my pinky, I'm getting more swing in my wrist, closer to 60 degrees from neutral to open versus 30 or 45 degrees with my pinky.

I'm also working in the pendulum motion. I found that in the drives above I was deliberately taking up my arm for my throwing motion and consciously pulling through with my elbow. Now I'm taking the natural swing from my lower body and applying it to my arm movements. I feel more synced up with my run-up than I ever felt with my prior form. I feel more like I'm pulling my whole body through the motions rather than strong arming it the entire way.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 pm

You don't really need nearly that much wrist in your throw, the disc should have plenty of speed.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Yeah check out the Discraft distance videos like more distance now where Marty Peters describes hyper spin wrist form. Avery said in his recent Deep in the Game clinic that he almost locks the wrist leaving only a little movement. What he showed was something like an inch to inch and a half of wrist action for the entire throw and naturally the amount of wrist movement depends on your size.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeffzeNub » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 am

@ 4:15 - "Kinetic linking"
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby keltik » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 am

that is a really good video and really illustrates the keys to throwing hard from the ground up.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby itlnstln » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:34 am

Like Rampage Jackson says, "I punch from my ass."
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:29 am

Grr that video contains material from National Geographic and they have blocked it in my country. It is weird that somebody would punch from his ass when others push from the ground with the rear leg.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 am

JR wrote:Grr that video contains material from National Geographic and they have blocked it in my country. It is weird that somebody would punch from his ass when others push from the ground with the rear leg.

try this one?

If not here is the commentary, it pretty much nails it...

"The secret of boxing is known as kinetic linking, a perfect flow of energy through the entire body.

Motion capture shows that the punch starts not in the fist, but in the feet.

The rear foot drives backwards into the ground, the energy then travels up the leg, twists through the hips and transfers the large muscles in the back, chest and shoulders.

Like the coiling and cracking of a whip, the energy multiplies through leverage, as it flows through the body, travels out through the arm and fist, and snaps into the opponents face"
Last edited by JeffzeNub on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:18 am

On another note, I would love to see one of the pros like schusterick or Avery on one of those machines that monitors muscle usage to watch their weight distribution, etc...
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks Jeff the same complaint but the text describes a FH throw to somebody's face perfectly. We too need to have that fluid energy transfer down to up. But even the Feldy kick achieves that even though the rear leg is not planted as long as the kick mirrors the arm swing.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Video Critique