Want a tweener

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Want a tweener

Postby jtowneagle » Sun May 26, 2013 9:25 pm

I really love my champ eagles(12x), but have seen a growing importance for a tweener. I used to like the teebird a lot but love the line shaping of the eagle. I can throw and eagle 375 on command but want something a little longer but easier to control than a destroyer. I am considering a pd or olf but don't know pros and cons. I have searched and there are just so many mixed reviews. Any suggestions or insight?
jtowneagle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Re: Want a tweener

Postby bents » Mon May 27, 2013 1:31 am

I thought most people loved PD's with not many mixed reviews. They are too fast/stable for my power level but if you can throw an eagle that far, a PD should be like a faster, more high-speed stable eagle. I've never thrown an OLF but lots of people like them too.
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 27, 2013 5:07 am

SOLFs and S-PDs are very similar, some would say almost identical in flight. Either is probably the best disc to fill that gap if you want something that is somewhat overstable.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby keltik » Mon May 27, 2013 8:50 am

If you like the Eagle and can put it out there then you would want to try the OLF or the Avenger. PD may not be stable enough for you.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jtowneagle » Mon May 27, 2013 9:28 am

When I say mixed reviews of the pd I mean some people say it is like a longer teebird and some say it is like an eagle. I want something I can s curve flatten a turnover and hyzer.
jtowneagle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby JR » Mon May 27, 2013 10:32 am

The PDs have varied so much with plastics and runs that it is impossible to say for sure how any individual disc flies considering even good discs in good plastics in good runs vary more often than not from the next disc. With that said SOLF and PD are among the best disc for power throwers but depending on what you are looking for there might be even better discs if you want even longer Destroyer distance or close to discs. There River and especially Fury from Latitude work well and if you need still a very straight but longer and more wind handling disc a Beast manufactured within 3 years should work very nicely indeed. So D and stability come to play in choosing the disc that suits your wants the best. Are your wants the best options for you and your bag is another matter. Who says that the Destroyer is the best long disc for you anyway? At least if the long disc replacement is supported by a good disc. There are longer long bombers out there than the Destroyer. At your power too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Hyzerline49 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:35 pm

s-pd or orc
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby inthedrift » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 am

Orion LF
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:26 am

Orc and OLF are full on drivers nothing tweener about them.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby andrew » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:20 am

jtowneagle wrote:When I say mixed reviews of the pd I mean some people say it is like a longer teebird and some say it is like an eagle. I want something I can s curve flatten a turnover and hyzer.

The only S-PD I've thrown won't turn at all when new. Goes straight with gradual fade much like a longer champion teebird. I've thrown a bunch of P-PDs, however, and they are more line shaping. I also second a Beast as a S-curve step faster than Eagle/slower than Destroyer. Both PD and Beast have more gradual fade than Eagles, though.

If you want more like a longer Eagle you might want to check out the Avenger. I've thrown two different Qolfs only a handful of times and they had some turn and fade less penetrating than PDs (so more like Eagle). What about a Valkyrie? They have more turn than an Eagle but sort of similar fade (I would say Valkyries have one of the more unique flight paths of any disc, but never sure what course would need that flight path.)

In other words, who knows?
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/Predator/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Hyzerline49 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:33 pm

JR wrote:Orc and OLF are full on drivers nothing tweener about them.

but you just suggested a beast? what are you trying to get at? the orc is a great tweener disc between an eagle and a disc like a destroyer....
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Postby Hyzerline49 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:36 pm

imo, the pd is to the teebird as the orc is to the eagle.
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:41 am

The term tweener means a disc that is on the border of two different classes of discs like half mid half FW driver for example a Stalker and a Squall or the PD that is part FW part driver. The Beast too is a full bore driver. But it ain't a tweener and yes it bridges the gap between the Destro and the Eagle nicely and it can s-curve.

Andrew the Star Valk has the most HSS and LSS while still flipping so it is the best s-curving longer Eagle out of the Valk family. PDs come in many flavors and C is the most overstable, S straighter and P breaks in to understable fastest on average. Cs are like faster hardest fading Teebirds Ss are regular C TBs stretched out longer and P PDs broken in are like used DX TBs. Break in an S PD and you've got yourself a faster longer s-curving Eagle or you could anny a new C and S for similar lines.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Hyzerline49 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:10 pm

JR wrote:The term tweener means a disc that is on the border of two different classes of discs like half mid half FW driver for example a Stalker and a Squall or the PD that is part FW part driver. The Beast too is a full bore driver. But it ain't a tweener and yes it bridges the gap between the Destro and the Eagle nicely and it can s-curve. .

I completely understand the term "tweener" and you describe it perfectly, but the orc is as much a tweener as the pd. it is also a much better choice out of the box than the pd, it flies very much like a longer eagle.
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:34 am

I have my only night time ace with an Orc and don't like the two i've had because they belong to the worse flying group. People here have described straight Orcs that i don't know and s-curving ones that i have. So i don't know how Orcs behave across the board and how common the good straight ones are so i cannot comment. The s-curving ones are as long as any distance drivers under warp speed so i cannot see how that variety could be seen as a tweener. If the straight Orc is longer as my memory seems to suggest the others wrote it would even less of a tweener. If that recollection and description was accurate the discs would be very different considering the s-curve is the longer flight line in most cases with only a few exceptions where line drive and s-curve are equidistant. I've never heard of the line drive being longer than the s-curve for anyone with any disc. When people were using Orcs more commonly the word was that the earlier ones were the straight ones mostly and later ones when i hopped on board were the s-curvers.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Equipment