Best disc set for beginner?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best disc set for beginner?

Postby caslavak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:36 am

Hello, could you recommend me set of discs (driver + mid + putter) for beginner? I have only some experiences with Innova DX Shark and I like it.
Thanks for advices.
caslavak
Noob

Re: Best disc set for beginner?

Postby keltik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:34 am

Hello and welcome!

I would say just buy one DX Shark since you already know it and like it. Innova does also make a prepackaged set that includes a DX Shark along with a DX Leopard (driver) and a DX Aviar (putter). I started with this set myself. It's a good value but looking back I kinda wish someone had told me to play with one disc. I eventually did that on my own since as a beginner all the discs flew the same for me. I picked the shark out of the three since it seemed to perform well in all situations. The one downside to the Innova set is that all the discs are light weight (~150g). This makes it easy on the beginner but makes the transition from casual to serious play a bit more difficult. Most discs sold are about 170-175g (best guestimate). This adds to the confusion of many first time players/buyers.

Discraft also has a starter pack it has a Nuke (fast driver), Avenger SS (driver), Buzzz (mid range) and a Focus (putter). It also includes a bag which I think is a nice value. All discs are in Pro-D plastic which is similar to DX. I'm not sure about the weight of these discs. I think they are mostly normal weight 170-175g. All four of these discs are good flyers and are the most popular Discraft models.

That's really about it I think for prepackaged sets. As far as value goes I would say get the Discraft set if you are dead set on a full beginners kit. It has a bag and an extra disc. The Innova set is easier to find in stores. If you are just looking to start playing and save some money I would say just buy one disc. You mentioned the DX Shark. I think it is a great disc and it will serve you well. If you want to try a Discraft disc I would say go with the Buzzz. Bottom line is have fun with it. start simple and just enjoy yourself.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 am

I believe the starter sets from both Innova and Discraft are well thought out. There is more than 1 from Discraft for sure. Maybe even Innova.

I would avoid the one with the Nuke. I think that may be a 4 disc set. The one's for sale here at Hastings come with XL/Buzzz/APX. Some have Magnet instead of APX. IMHO, that's a great start.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby keltik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:59 pm

yes there are two sets from each. Innova DX set is Leo/Shark/Aviar and the Champion set is Valkyrie/Panther/Aviar. You are correct about the smaller set from DC. I still like the bigger set because it comes with a bag. It just adds value and is a nice touch. But you are right starting a pure beginner off with a Nuke is just begging for trouble. but without such shenanigans what would we have to talk about?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:47 pm

:mrgreen:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Return to Equipment