JoelV's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

JoelV's bag

Postby JoelV » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 am

Drivers:
167g Star Leopard
167g Star Eagle Go to driver.
172g Champ Eagle L

Have always thrown fairways and not really noticed any gain in going faster. For the courses I play, faster drivers aren't really necessary. Have had teebirds but have always seemed to go back to eagles. This area isn't a concern to me as much as the mids/putters are.

Mids:
175g Recycled Fuse
175?g Gold line Fuse (before they stamped weight so unsure there) Flippy disc. Useful utility to get around stuff.
171g Opto Core
167g Gold Mace

Have been through the phases of mids. Buzz/Wasp and then most recently rocs. Decided to go Lat. Had experience with the fuse in the past so added a new one, an opto core and gold mace. Seems like go to is fuse. Mace is used a bit for getting around hard hyzers but really isn't growing on me much. Was thinking of replacing it with my trusty old Ti Wasp. Core is nice, but I've found myself going entire rounds without even thinking of throwing it. For the shot it'd be used I will grab the fuse and release w/ some hyzer and let it flip straight before fading.

Do you think its really necessary to have a overstable/straight/understable lineup like most? Would an understable/overstable only combo hurt?

Putters:
175g McPro Aviar Putting only
174g Soft Wizard Driving/approaching
174g Zero Hard Sinus

Not sure I need the Sinus. I like it a lot but doesn't really seem like there is a demand for its use.
JoelV
Noob

Re: JoelV's bag

Postby jtowneagle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 pm

I would probably drop one of the understable fairway drivers, star leopard, as it overlaps with the el. Also you should just beat up a star eagle and cycle them...1 new, 1 stable, and 1 understable. What does a recycled fuse do that the other doesn't. I currently use the buzzz fuse combo and love it. I noticed you are missing a true overstable driver. Try a banshee or firebird depending on your distance. I would drop the sinus.
jtowneagle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby JoelV » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:06 pm

So you are suggesting just eventually using solely star eagles in the driver category? And then also add an over stable disc? Is that strictly for windy situations? Would just a max weight champ eagle x be able to fill that spot?

The recycled fuse is my go to fuse. The gold one is really old. Spent some time in a lake and is really floppy. I use it only for getting around stuff. Forehands for tight spaces that I want to go left and not come back. Or sharp rights where rhbh will turn quickly over after releasing it.

Thank you.
JoelV
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 am

If the wizard is good for you the sinus can go. Wasp is good and core suffers in winds but fuse hurts more so there might be a utility role for the core. And welcome.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JoelV » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 pm

So I'm happy right now with my mids sitting on fuse/core/wasp. The core has grown on me quite a bit and I'm really happy with it. Putters I still keep my go to mcpro for putting, but am trying out a vibram medium ridge to possibly replace the wizards. I just hate how inconsistent wizards are.

Onto drivers.

I like the idea of carrying just eagles. They have always been my favorite disc. So I've been trying to go with just those. I picked up a new pink star eagle for the fresh more stable eagle. My blue go to one is slowly getting there. It will hold a nice anhyzer line for a bit but will still fade more than I'd like at the moment. And then there is my champ eagle L. I don't really think of this as understable at all. It goes dead nuts straight and fades out at the end. I actually just got my first ace last night with it. :D It seems to be the furthest disc in my bag right now also when throwing them all in a field.

pink 168g star eagle.......... Fresh for stable duties.
orange 171g Champ Eagle L.... Straight with little fade at end.
blue 167g star eagle.......... Go to for quite some time. Very similar in flight to orange one right now. Been throwing it for any thumbers to try and help it along.

So now comes the point where I get to waste money, but hey I have a nice ace pot in my pocket that I can try some. I've always sought out a disc I could throw further than an eagle with some consistency. I have yet to do that, but I've been playing less than a year, so not losing hope. Not a huge fan of thick rim discs. They just never feel comfortable in hand. I would like a distance driver that is a longer eagle L. Suggestions? Was thinking of trying a Z surge SS or a Rogue.

Thanks
JoelV
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Avenger would not be as big of a step as the Surge SS would be. The Avenger has been designed to s-curve like the Eagle. At power most Eagles in C will flip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion