Need some help

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need some help

Postby luma » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 am

Guys, I need some advice an my throw. I have improved a lot on accuracy and distance so it's like that at the moment:

Pure power rip: ~425' - spread left/right (where 90% of the discs land in I would say) ~150'
Controlled DD: ~400' - left/right ~100'
FD: 360' - left/right ~90'
Midrange: 300' - left/right ~ 75'

I know my technique is far from perfect, but the last few weeks I really have a bad tendency to accidentally release it on a hyzer angle pretty often while the same time letting it start to the right (see the last two thrown in my video, starting at 1:00) I don't know, but my back is bent pretty strange while I go through, and I think I rip and rotate too much with my right shoulder which might cause that strange back position.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Re: Need some help

Postby JR » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:49 pm

The sideways spread seems too high and should be tightened. Grip locks often are the culprits to missing right and the major reason for those is pulling the arm before the plant step lands. Because it is not the case here i think the reason for right misses comes from not having the pause in the right leg pivot in the plant step. When the right heel touches the ground the toes do not stop in place pointing in a single direction for a while in order to get to the elbow forward disc close to the right pectoral muscle position. Instead the foot moves to the right all the time and you got turned to the right of the target with the whole body before the arm swing caught up to the body so the whole body pointed right before the disc had an opportunity to rip out of the grip.

The cure is to stop the right foot in place relative to the ground immediately when the right heel touches the ground and the ball of the foot rises up. to be able to accomplish that each right leg muscle needs to work at or near full power to stop in place so that the rest of the body gets moved by the momentum and you can actively pull the arm to the right pec position.

You do have another problem with the angles of the disc in pulling hyzered and following through annied at times. Your follow through has the thumb pointing up when it should be rotated quickly counter clockwise after the rip in order to get the shoulder blade to move behind the back muscles allowing a longer arm follow through and a higher arm plane matching the initial hyzer.

What is worse you are planting the plant step to the left of the running direction which means that you add power and sap accuracy and consistency. That planting position tends to turn the whole body tilted to anny which matches your current follow through. Which is inconsistent with the initial arm pull angle creating a source for inconsistency and accuracy. Check my signature for a more accurate planting position.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby luma » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:03 pm

As usual, thanks for the great advice and giving my next week another meaning beside learning for next month's tests :)

Just one thing I was wondering about...I know it's the same with every sport, son't compare yourself to the pros when you're not even half that good, but watching slow-mos of mcbeth, schusterick, jenkins, lizotte and some more - they all seem to have their plant foot left of the target.. :idea:
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Postby JR » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:25 am

Many current players do that and it is not that hard to learn to aim that way. The better shape you are in the less you will create inconsistencies in a long tournament if different body parts tire out in different order (meaning you should be fit everywhere and cross training should target each muscle group). Unfortunately you cannot train that much for adverse ground grip until you throw far enough with sneaking speed steps to minimize the forces that lead to slipping on the ground.

The pro for planting to the left of the running line with every throwing angle is more body weight shift and acceleration distance leading to more exit speed thus more distance. The cons are not having eyes on target as long, higher chance of legs colliding and tripping you enough to tilt the disc incorrectly, the inability to turn the body close enough to the target that the arm pull line is straight at low speed, low momentum, low rear leg push or when slipping in a slippery tee and worse chance of slipping when you push hard or move fast.

And yup for flat shots and mild annies and hyzers it is possible to perform a throw with visual aiming together with other aiming methods without angle aiming trouble. If your neck is limber and loose enough to separate most of the head weight from the body movements during the throw. In a steeply angled throw you need to do what golfers do and at least Shusterick and Feldberg teach: Not looking at the target until the shoulders turn you to face the target in the follow through.

The con for accuracy and consistency helping less than 100 % power placement shot technique that i described in my signature is that if you try to push it longer you can again be susceptible to slipping on wet/dirty tees and other sources of errors creep in from pushing the power to beyond repeatable accurate performance. The pros are eyes on target for a while and less chance of the legs colliding and less required left leg push/momentum need for clearing the hips and rotating enough to clear the left side of the body with the disc while also turning the body close enough to the target that you can pull in a straight line until the rip.

Since both forms have pros and cons i suggest using more than one form. 360 throws have even more power generation than left of the line planting with even more difficulty level and chances of slipping.

IIRC Avery plants often on the line he is running on for flat shots and that is what he teaches in his clinic.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique