150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby money 21 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 pm

right now most of distance shots are with a 151 solf a 154 5x valk and a 149 starlite valk. could really drop most of the discs faster then these from the bag and my game wouldn't suffer much.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Stringbean » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 am

My only problem with 150 discs is that they tend to get blown around in the wind. Have to take them out of the bag on days with 15 mph + winds.
Summit - Judge - QMS - Leopard - Eagle - SOLS - QOLF - Beast - Wraith
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby Steve » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Stringbean wrote:My only problem with 150 discs is that they tend to get blown around in the wind. Have to take them out of the bag on days with 15 mph + winds.

I just carry a heavier compliment to my lighter discs for wind resistance.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby money 21 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 am

anyone thrown the light weight classic infernos from quest?
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby andrew » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:59 am

Did some field testing yesterday which included comparing slightly used 166g and 150g P-PDs. The lighter P-PD went a bit further, flight paths were the same, but the biggest difference I saw was that I got many more grip slips with the heaver PPD, especially toward the end of the session as fatigue was setting in. Basically, it seems to take more grip strength to hold onto a heavier disc into the snap zone. This seems to be an important advantage of lighter discs that (without reading this entire thread) maybe has not been discussed. (There was only a light breeze, so no data on heavy wind conditions.)

So, does anybody know of any online retailers that have 150 class PPDS in stock?
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/Predator/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Monocacy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am

I agree with your grip strength findings. My experience is that stable discs thrown cleanly are stable in the wind regardless of weight. A heavier disc of the same mold and plastic does penetrate the wind better (or, to look at it another way, lighter discs slow down faster in a headwind).

Some of you big-arm folk may have a different experience.

andrew wrote:So, does anybody know of any online retailers that have 150 class PPDS in stock?

Unfortunately availability is sporadic for a lot of lightweight discs. Your best bet is to grab a big stack when you find them.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby money 21 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:04 pm

"Unfortunately availability is sporadic for a lot of lightweight discs. Your best bet is to grab a big stack when you find them." Monocacy
This is extremely true. used to be 150 solf's and tl's were every where now it a needle in a hay stack.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:16 pm

picked up a couple esp avengers(155,153) and a x avenger (152). The esp's are beef flying like my flick but longer. out of the box they are handleing the wind which was about 15mhp last night like it didn't exsist. The x is flying like my solf's of the same wieght but i bet it will beat dead straight before to long.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JohnnyBee » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:13 am

I use 150-163 drivers also. So much easier on my achy shoulder.

I am a sucker for 150 drivers to....If I see one, I have to get it! Have to get them mainly online, but Titan Disc Golf store in Cedar Rapids does carry some 150 discs, not just Blizzard, so I hit them up all the time. And I'm not the only one, because there is good turnover in those bins.
PD / Valkryie / Teebird / Eagle L / Leopard /Comet / Tensor / Tangent / Anode /
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby andrew » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Yeah, already checked those bins (small world). Next time I'm in there (probably Monday) I'll ask if they'd be interested in and able to order 150g PDs....
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/Predator/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby JohnnyBee » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:52 pm

andrew wrote:Yeah, already checked those bins (small world). Next time I'm in there (probably Monday) I'll ask if they'd be interested in and able to order 150g PDs....

Yeah, that would be awesome. See if they can get some P-PD's so we can get more backups.
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby JohnnyBee » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:54 am

Who here is still using the 150 drivers? I have been for the last 3 years, and experimenting with different weights for my mids, usually between 165-172. I am curious who is currently doing this or if you have found reason to move on to different weights. I know the drivers can be a pain to find, that's why i have collected over the past few years. I'm hoping Innova continues to produce these without messing with them like they are starting to do with newer Blizzard discs and Starlite ones.
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:28 am

Living by the sea getting winds and more muscle power means that i get more predictable results with distance with 160s to max weight discs so i don't carry any other light discs than max D bombers. Even under 150 at times.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JohnnyBee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:48 am

Got my grubby paws on some 150 QOLF Sparkles from Marshall Street. Right now they are getting more use for me for FH, which I am blowing the dust off of and trying out again after not using much for a couple of years. Me Likee!
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby money 21 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:14 pm

pick up a couple opto air halos and 3 blizz teedevils. The teedevils harsh fade was a turnoff for me when throwing heaveir discs but in the blizz it turns more so the heavy fade keeps it from burning out. the halos are beefier the some of the heavier one i threw before. hit 375 with a fh with one yesterday. longest fh drive i have had in a long time.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment