Speed 8 - why so neglected?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Speed 8 - why so neglected?

Postby PMantle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I've been thinking of temporarily setting up a speed limit bag. Was trying to decide on one based on what I'd have to get to have the drivers I need. I've always loved my Archangels for flips and downwind drives. A friend let me throw his Dragon, and it seemed really long for 8. So, that's all Innova has.

I'm never sure with Discraft. Does XL/XS/Xpress look right?

I never see Lat/Westside. Vision/Stag?

What would be a good couple of discs to add to the Archangel in the stable to overstable slots?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Speed 8 - why so neglected?

Postby JR » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:48 pm

Dunno about the Express because i haven't thrown or checked the specs of it but the Stag is an 8 but understable. There is not really much point in speed 8 because 7 and 9 are good for avoiding overlap and some 9s power down well and they cover a nice wide range of stabilities. Have you tried the most overstable Valk the Star? OLF powers down well too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zeike524 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:33 am

Can't speak for many others but the stag is redicilous. Super straight...doesn't fly the numbers and super long. Buzzed the tower on a 411' hole a few days ago and ended up long by 30' or so. Can't believe it's not a more popular disc.
zeike524
Noob

Postby keltik » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:17 am

XL -> 6
Xpress -> 6
XS -> 7 maybe 8

Lat/WS/DD their numbers are a bit off but I can't fully say with all their recent releases due to funds being tied up elsewhere.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the whole Innova speed rating. It's really just marketing hooey. Find a disc that is comfortable in your hand that flies like you want. The XL and XS are both really cool discs. The XS is more like a fairway driver than people think.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:49 am

keltik wrote:I wouldn't put too much stock in the whole Innova speed rating.
I can see that I guess, but they filled the area above and below pretty well. Heck, all levels but this one seems to have a full lineup from left to right.

Been curious about the Escape after seeing a friend throw one really far. 9 might be a better number. I wish I could get Vikings locally.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:41 am

My Stag is pretty much like the numbers IIRC the numbers right -mine flips and that long throw means you've got great power Zelke. The Stag glides very well.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zeike524 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 am

The escape for me is less stable and faster than the stag. The escape is the longest disc i have ever thrown. Nothing i have thrown can even touch it. Thrown it 500' but powered down it is llike a good teebird. Like he said something that feels good in your hand. Obviously my hand/throw is more suitable for the "fairway driver" speed discs. I can get some higher speeds out there around 400'+ but i have much more control with the smaller rims.
zeike524
Noob

Postby zeike524 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:56 am

JR wrote:My Stag is pretty much like the numbers IIRC the numbers right -mine flips and that long throw means you've got great power Zelke. The Stag glides very well.

Yeah and im a little guy at about 150 lbs. if i ate my wheaties.
zeike524
Noob

Postby keltik » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:44 am

oh yeah forgot about the Vision. I think that one might actually be an "8" and the retooled ones are much more stable and versatile. I still have to tell myself that it's not supposed to be a flippier Avenger SS anymore when I throw my retooled one.

another thought is that the difference between "speed 8" and "speed 9" is really insignificant. speed 7 vs 9 is only just marginal as well.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:50 am

keltik wrote:another thought is that the difference between "speed 8" and "speed 9" is really insignificant. speed 7 vs 9 is only just marginal as well.

Was just trying to work off of what I had and set a hard line for no reason that makes any logical sense. Noticed this gap in disc lineup. Thought it was strange.

Sounds like I need an Ess cah pay.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:08 pm

the xs is a great disc the x and z fly different though. the x starts out straight and beats into a sweet turn over disc and roller. the z starts off a touch over stable and beat straight holding the sweet spot for a long time. If they were made in the 150 class they wuld still be in my bag. XL kick ass as well. anaother disc in this speed range to look at is the assassin from gateway.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby PMantle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Driver lineup today was: SL, Ch Beast, Wildcat and Esp Avenger. Shot a great score. Cannot say I missed Destros or Terns. Going to do this for a while.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:21 pm

I personally love the fairway drivers from MVP. The volt, amp, and shock are all speed 8 and compliment each other very well. So if you still want to do this "speed limit" bag, or just want some good speed 8 drivers, I would check them out.
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Postby PMantle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:57 pm

mikepowles wrote:I personally love the fairway drivers from MVP. The volt, amp, and shock are all speed 8 and compliment each other very well. So if you still want to do this "speed limit" bag, or just want some good speed 8 drivers, I would check them out.

I thought I read they were 9, but now that I have them, I would say 8. And yes, I have all three, and carry them on occasion. Will be carrying them even more now that I am going to begin therapy on my right shoulder. Or, I can do two different stabilities of Escape and a Fury. Really like those.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Return to General Discussion