Very superstitious...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Very superstitious...

Postby andrew » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:43 pm

...writing on the disc...

so when I got back into disc golf a few years ago, I started buying up whatever used discs I could find to try out. Then I decided to splurge and buy a new flx Avenger SS at 173g which ended up being possibly the worst disc I came across during that period. For some reason, I associated my poor experience with that disc with the weight and have avoided buying any 173g discs since.

Anybody else have similarly absurd disc golf related superstitions to share? (Certainly disc color is the most obvious in his regard?)
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: Very superstitious...

Postby Steve » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Nice!
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 pm

andrew wrote:...writing on the disc...

so when I got back into disc golf a few years ago, I started buying up whatever used discs I could find to try out. Then I decided to splurge and buy a new flx Avenger SS at 173g which ended up being possibly the worst disc I came across during that period. For some reason, I associated my poor experience with that disc with the weight and have avoided buying any 173g discs since.

Anybody else have similarly absurd disc golf related superstitions to share? (Certainly disc color is the most obvious in his regard?)

Superstitious? More than I should be.

If I throw a bad shot with a disc I will not use that disc for the next shot.

As to andrew's superstition, maybe that disc should be weighed on a digital scale. If it is actually a gram more or less than 173, then maybe it is the written number which is to blame? if the number were erased maybe the disc could be saved? You know, the bad mojo comes off with the ink?

Some numbers seem better than others, although I'm not sure why I think so. It isn't the one gram difference because that is too small to notice. I like 172 and 174 better than 173. And I will forgive the number 173 more readily on a driver than a putter. So like andrew I am not a fan of 173. But if the disc is otherwise great; preferred mold (not a putter), good color, tremendous feel and none available in a better number then I will give it a chance.

Putters need more mojo than other discs. They need to be great in every way and have a cool hotstamp (or lots of hotstamps!!) in a good color.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Leopard » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:51 am

I won't bag a disc I haven't first used upside down.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:08 pm

I play with a guy that won't throw a shot if someone nearby has their tallywhacker in their hands (urinating).
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby itlnstln » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 am

Jeronimo wrote:I play with a guy that won't throw a shot if someone nearby has their tallywhacker in their hands (urinating).

Ha! I wouldn't either, but it's more of a general noise thing, not the specific noise. Talking is the worst.

I have to have a Teebird in my bag at all times. The course I primarily play, I never use a Teebird, but I feel like there's something "comfort-blanket-like" about having that disc in my bag just in case.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby money 21 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
andrew wrote:...writing on the disc...

Superstitious? More than I should be.

If I throw a bad shot with a disc I will not use that disc for the next shot.

As to andrew's superstition, maybe that disc should be weighed on a digital scale. If it is actually a gram more or less than 173, then maybe it is the written number which is to blame? if the number were erased maybe the disc could be saved? You know, the bad mojo comes off with the ink?

Some numbers seem better than others, although I'm not sure why I think so. It isn't the one gram difference because that is too small to notice. I like 172 and 174 better than 173. And I will forgive the number 173 more readily on a driver than a putter. So like andrew I am not a fan of 173. But if the disc is otherwise great; preferred mold (not a putter), good color, tremendous feel and none available in a better number then I will give it a chance.

Putters need more mojo than other discs. They need to be great in every way and have a cool hotstamp (or lots of hotstamps!!) in a good color.

I am the opposte of mark. If i throw a bad shot with a disc I throw that disc for the nexted even if it doesn't make sense to.

Also i have 3 kids there favorite colors are green, purple, and pink. before a tourney I make sure that i have at least one disc of each color in my bag.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:04 pm

For a long time my bag was Aviar/Roc/Cyclone/X-Clone. All of my Aviars and Rocs were red 172g with rainbow hotstamps; the unfortunate result of selling discs and being able to be picky. I think I chilled out on that when the KC Pro discs came out and they were all white.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Disc Golf of Course » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:16 pm

"It's only weird if it doesn't work."

I also like to release the bad mojo on a disc after a bad shot. Avoiding throwing that disc only lets the evil grow stronger.
Ethan | DiscGolfofCourse.com - because it's disc golf, of course!
Disc Golf Tips, Tournament News, and Information
Disc Golf of Course
Noob

Favorite Disc: Aviar

Postby logjammin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 pm

If I ever get an ace on my first throw of the day, I'm going to just walk from the tee to my car and drive away without even retrieving my disc.
logjammin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cheetah

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am

When I first started playing, I played a round with an experienced player who was playing for the first time after a two year hiatus. We stepped onto the first tee with no warm up and he proceeded to throw a 220 foot laser right into the basket. He started to play a lot more after that.

Before every round, I play the national anthem in my car on the way to the course.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby luma » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I know a guy who told me to play in exactly the right order, otherwise - he said he noticed - always something bad is going to happen (bad shot, missed short put e.g.).

Another common superstition over here in Germany is about the Scorebook. Some don't want it when they play well because they will start to play bad if they get the scorebook. Others like to keep it when they play well. It's kind of funny to watch :D

Me personally, I am not superstitous at all. I don't care about superstitions, the only one who throws that damn disc is me, and everything around it has nothing to do with it :P
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Postby ChainCrazy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Hell yeah I'm superstitious....old baseball habits die hard. I like to use the same mini and place it exactly the same way each time I putt. I also place my hand and grip my putter in the exact same spot each time. I have lucky shorts I like to wear for the 1st round of a tournament. and you guessed it....even lucky boxer shorts....yeah I know....whatever... . I found a horseshoe on our local course and since that day it sits (upright) in a pocket in my DG bag. I really don't know if it works....but I like to think it helps!
ChainCrazy
Noob

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzz

Postby klemle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 am

My big one is finding someone else's disc. If it has a number on it, I now call it. I once found a buzz with a name, I selfishly didn't call it. A week later someone took my favorite disc, 2 holes behind me, and then took off. Bad karma for not calling, now I always call.
klemle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Boss

Postby DiscinFiend » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:15 pm

If I have a disc that has someone else's name on it I can't bag it (even if it's crossed off). I've had multiple instances when I would call the # on a disc that I found & they told me to keep it but I can't bring myself to put it in my bag. Also I've had instances when people want to trade discs & they have a disc I really want to trade for but won't b/c it has ink on it. The only name on a disc in my bag can be mine :D
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Next

Return to General Discussion