Thumb blister, what tape?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Thumb blister, what tape?

Postby JeffzeNub » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:30 am

So i got a nasty blister on the pad of my thumb on my right hand and my first tourney is tomorrow. I've been nursing it, but I doubt it will be healed by tomorrow. I really don't want to unconsciously favor it and release my grip early.

ive tried some waterproof tape before on my index finger, but I lost a certain feel for the disc. Is there any other tape I should try? Or another solution that I'm not thinking of?

Any help would be awesome.

PS - right now i'm rocking a Beauty and the Beast bandaid my niece hooked me up with!
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Thumb blister, what tape?

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Paper tape.

Tough call whether to pop the blister or not. Either way paper tape is the best. Any drug store has it.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JeffzeNub » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:23 pm

thanks Mark
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby JeffzeNub » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:08 am

I popped it late Friday, it was pretty close to popping anyways so it didnt take much.

So I played Saturday with a taped finger, but it was so hot out the tape did not want to stay on because of the sweat. I had to change the tape a few times throughout the rounds. I kept trying to rock the pressure from my thumb pad, to my thumb joint unconsciously and I would release early. We played The Sarge in Hardeeville, South Carolina which is a very technical course, lots of trees, tunnel shots and tight lines so I had a tough time getting off the tee. My mid-range game and my putting weren't really as affected.

Shot a 813 round : / and then a 830 round with the tape.

Continued to nurse it that night, and decided to ditch the bandaid and tape and just play regardless. It had dried up fairly well the next morning and my throw felt good. We played Tom Triplett Park in Savannah, GA on Sunday.

Shot a 922 round and a 905 round without the tape. : )

I bet I could have gotten a better quality tape, but I went to a local pharmacy that has a little drug store in it and it was the only paper tape they had. I am going to experiment with some different tapes, glues and whatever else I can think of for fingers and grip related first aid. I have no idea what I would have done if it had been my index or middle finger...lol.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury