Speed

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Speed

Postby HerbD » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Since I'm on a posting roll.. In baseball they talk about bat speed, golf is club head speed. Does this apply also to disc golf? Speed in which the disc leaves your hand? If so, how do you increase this speed? Any suggestions or ideas for an older guy like myself would be great!

Herb
HerbD
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Magnet

Re: Speed

Postby JR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Disc golf equivalent is the disc pivoting between the index finger and thumb tips. in Carlsen's thesis 40 % of the spin rate and IIRC 10 % of the final speed was made during the disc pivot with the best throwers of Norway being the test subjects (600' thrower included). The wrist needs to be stopped for best possible transfer of momentum to the disc which seems counter intuitive. Newton described in physics movements among other things and said that without opposition momentum keeps on going. If the wrist stops all that can move is the fingers straightening and the disc pivoting and there is way less mass there to be moved with the momentum than having more of the body moving.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zeike524 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:27 am

Work on technique and form first and the disc speed will follow along with accuracy.
zeike524
Noob

Postby HerbD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks guys! That's some complicated physics for an old geezer like me!
HerbD
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Magnet

Postby klemle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 am

I think that the equivalent skill that you are looking for is whip. There are a lot of great videos for this on youtube if you just search disc golf whip. If you ever see any really good RHBH players who throw really smooth, but bomb their discs, it is because of the amount of whip that they subtly add to their throws. The best players make this look effortless.
klemle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Boss

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Herb prolly figured it out by now but here's a vid that help me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGYsSUGKXk
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Return to General Discussion