Seeking more BH & FH distance

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Mike C » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:18 am

I see myself turning my hips early BH, and not involving my base in the forehand much as well as standing a bit low maybe?
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Seeking more BH & FH distance

Postby PMantle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:21 am

Mike C

Ha ha.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 am

Your sleeve appears to be catching on your right shoulder which is limiting your reach back. Maybe go with an XL. Also, your face turns red near the end of the throw. I would go with a v-neck to allow for more blood circulation.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby keltik » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:24 pm

funny you mention his shirt. many of Mike's early videos were of him shirtless...
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 am

I saw the same video in both screens.

Your pause is too short indeed. With a disc that fast you should do a distance open field test where you drop the apex height in about 3' intervals to see which height goes the farthest. I would not be surprised if a lower line would go farther for you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Your hips turn early because of how your front foot doesn't stride forward from the side, but comes forward backwards and your shin is parallel to the ground and foot perpendicular. Your lower spine is so far forward before the plant it looks like it does a reverse pivot or sways during the throw. If you watch the top throwers they are able to stride the front foot forward gliding just above the ground more parallel. To do that you have to get in a taller/looser posture during the x-step/backswing and keep the lower spine back. Then shift the lower spine coming down to plant. Also the direction of the run-up/x-step from left to right is not as powerful as going from right to left as you can create a larger arc.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:59 pm

Erm if i understood correctly what you meant there is a difference to your thinking with a tip Feldy gave after his clinic because "it is too advanced" for everyone is to push the right hip forward in the reach back and after the plant yanking the upper body upright with the core muscles and i think the proper timing for that is to have that move end somewhere around the start of the pause. I think Will Shusterick showed the same move in a recent technique video.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Sounds like what I was saying with shifting the lower spine forward coming down to plant as the arm is still moving back although mike is already reached back before that.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby seabas22 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:22 am

The yellow is where mike makes his move early with the lower spine and front foot/leg. Brinster delays the lower spine and strides his whole spine coming down to plant.

Add the arm in and you can see the huge smooth arc Brinster creates and his hand finishes back at the top of the backswing. In the purple finish Mike has lost posture and spirals around.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:01 am

keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:35 pm

^Bewbs :P
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Mike, I've watched you throw quite a bit on video and the only thing that I ever wondered about was the height of your reach back. I think you are leaking some energy as the disc comes down to the plane of the throw. A more on plane reach back would keep everything tight from your plant foot all the way back to the disc.

There are two smaller problems that could be coming from the high reach back as well. First is that you are moving the discs through the air bottom first for a portion of your throw. That's going to slow things down a tiny bit. It's also going to cause the second thing which is the air bounce you get from a high reach back. Part of the high line height JR mentioned could be caused by this.

Granted these are all minute suggestions, but hey, I think that's all you've got left to work on. You're already killing it, not sure just how much farther you could actually throw!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Return to Video Critique