DIY Short Course Bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DIY Short Course Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Here's a bag I just made. It holds six discs plus one putter on the outside. I decided to make it because there are so many shorter courses where I only need a few discs and I don't like lugging around all 12 if I'm not gonna use them. I also made it to try and challenge myself to throw fewer discs on longer courses.

I made it up as I went along. The material is 200 D oxford nylon, 1" polyester webbing, high strength thread, and some shock cord. I had all the materials laying around after a few other projects. I've been making some outdoor gear like hammocks and tarps/tents.

Inside: Teebird, Leopard, 2 Rocs, Rhyno, Pure - and a Zero Pure in the putter pocket.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: DIY Short Course Bag

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 pm

That looks nice! I wouldn't know where to start on making my own bag from scratch. It would be neat if there were some open source plans you could print off and sew up.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: DIY Short Course Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:00 am

I could try to think back through what I did. I don't have a program to draft up plans though. Feel free to ask questions.

The first thing to do is learn how to use a thread injector (sewing machine). The best place to start for me was making hammocks. You can make the ugliest hems and it doesn't matter, as long as they are strong. Next, I started making tarps, which taught me how to make box stitch (that might not be the exact phrase - it's a box with an X in the middle). It's pretty simple stuff. You just need to buy heavy duty yarn. Check out backwoodsdaydreamer.com for supplies.

For this bag, I took my 6 discs that I wanted to carry and wrapped them in fabric. I pinned the fabric together with the two loose ends of fabric pointing the same direction (think bag, not burrito). I took a pencil and marked where I needed my first hem, then sewed it up. Next, I added a second hem behind the first to add some more strength (though it might not have mattered). Then, I stitched the bottom closed with a single row, so now it was literally a bag with one open side.

On the open side, I did a 1" roll hem, then rolled it over 2 more inches and did another hem - 1 line near the top, and one close to the 2" mark. After that, I put the discs in the bag and found out what to cut from the corners - first I measured, then marked the corners where I wanted a hem, sewed a hem, then cut the excess off.

After that, it was time for creativity to kick in to figure out how to attach all of the reinforcements and straps.

Oh, and make sure you work with the bag inside out, so when you are done, all the hems are inside the bag and it looks cleaner.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment