sunspot wrote:Here's my reasoning why I think the Volt is overrated:
1. It is hard to range. Too much power, it turns and burns; not enough power, it fades out (even with more stable Volts it does this). I'm not saying it is the worst at ranging distances, but it is not that good at it. It is less like a slightly beat Eagle and more like a slightly beat Valkyrie with less distance potential.
2. The rim width (2.0) should create the potential to go further, but I find it flying like a speed 7/8. I can throw smaller rim discs as far or further than the Volt. I don't think I can ever break 400 ft with a Volt, but I can get the PD to 400ft on a good rip.
3. The shallowness of the rim doesn't bother me as much as the combination of the shallowness and the slanted rim. It doesn't feel as comfortable to grip.
I wanted to like the Volt but couldn't find myself to be satisfied with it.
In my humble opinion, they need to make a less slanted, normal feeling disc that can pushed out further without being too squirrelly. That's why I like slightly beaten EXs and SPDs so much. You can realize it on a hyzer and let it flip up and turn and come back reliably. The EXs can be pushed out further without being too squirrelly. Whether this requires them to make a disc with a smaller rim, I don't know, but I do know that I don't like the Volt.
I've had a different experience with them.
1. I took to them quick because they fly fairly close to my previous favorite driver, a 2.5 year old 1.1 QOLF. Throwing with different power levels and release angles I am essentially able to cover anything between my midrange and max D shots with Volts in mild conditions. I throw it FH & BH with equal success. I think the stability is ideal for a workhorse driver.
2. Mine are going about 450' BH 400' FH. I don't throw any speed 8's or 7's so I can't compare distances there.
3. Grip is always a personal thing. I haven't had issues here, even though when I first handled it I thought the shallowness might be noticeable while throwing backhand. Mine don't have slanted rims as far as I can tell, just double checked too. Not sure what to tell you.
Here's a short video I made showing how I use them for different lines.