Can't Thow Stable, Overstable, Or High Speed Discs

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Can't Thow Stable, Overstable, Or High Speed Discs

Postby mgilbert » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 am

I've read many, many posts, but would still like some advice... An instructor recently taught me to throw (RHBH) from a stand, rather than a run up, until I get that part of the technique down. I do throw more consistently that way, but cannot throw a stable or overstable disc, or any disc above a speed 5. Any attempt to throw anything more challenging than a Stingray or Cobra results in a hyzer of less that 200 feet. I can throw a Stingray or Cobra 220 to 275 feet, and it flies flat and level. Try to throw a Roc, Valkrie, Roadrunner, or even a Leopard, and it just hyzers. I just bought a Buzzz and a Latitude 64 River - can't throw them.

For my throws, I position my right side facing the basket, plant my left foot, and rotate my hips and shoulders back as far as I can. I then rotate forward, moving my arm slowly at first, then more quickly as I reach the snap point. I shift my weight from my left to my right foot as I rotate onto the ball of my right foot, I pull straight through keeping my elbow tucked, and the discs snaps out with a nice finger to thumb snap, and I follow through. I use a basic power grip, and grip the disc very firmly. I "think" I'm doing everything right, and with a lower speed, understable disc, I get exactly the result I expect. Anything else - forget it. I've tried adjusting my wrist angle - makes no difference.

Disc weight doesn't seem to matter, although heavier discs are easier to snap. Plastic doesn't seem to matter - I throw Champion, Star, and DX - and their equivalents by other manufacturers - with the same results. If it is a slow, understable disc, it flies. Anything else, it flops. I'm getting frustrated to the point of quitting. I'm 51, and that might be a factor, but I've been doing this for years, and I simply cannot improve, no matter how much I practice, or what I try.
Last edited by mgilbert on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Can't Thow Stable, Overstable, Or High Speed Discs

Postby keltik » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:04 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

being over 50 does hinder the distance potential to an extent. I don't know your athletic background or anything else about your physical abilities. one thing I do know is that almost all the guys I've ever played with over the age of 50 carried lots of understable molds and light weights. and they were proud to do so. They had things us "young guns" didn't; control, patience and accuracy.

275 with a cobra or stingray at your age is actually very good distance.

If you want to add distance you really need to work on a run up that is suitable for your age and body condition.

have you tried blizzard champion? Most of the "old codgers" out on the course now love the ~130g discs. It lets them keep up.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby mgilbert » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks Keltik. Sounds like some very lightweight, understable discs might be the answer. I'm 6' 1", and 200 pounds, and bicycle regularly, so I'm in fair shape, but I am not ripped! I'm in pretty good shape for 51, but 51 is still 51.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Postby JR » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:16 pm

HI and welcome. 275' with those discs is very respectable even with a run up. A video would help in seeing what it is that holds you back from using those discs that don't work for you yet. It sounds like there is something off in the technique that holds you back.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique