Slips at the hit

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Slips at the hit

Postby ELItheICEman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:26 pm

I've been developing my technique for the past year and a half according to the multitude of information here, and I'm at the point where I'm feeling where the hit point should be, but I can't seem to hang on long enough. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I use the "rail" technique or Blake's "Secret Technique" - the same problem plagues me in both cases.

From what I remember reading here, you're supposed to clamp down on the disc as hard as you can when you pass the critical hit point. The thought just struck me that I may be misinterpreting this. I've been just clamping my thumb-index joint, which is the final rip point and the point of disc pivot. I assumed that clamping with the other fingers would cause grip lock, and so I haven't been doing that. Should I be?
ELItheICEman
Noob

Re: Slips at the hit

Postby turso » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:32 pm

You should. Griplock is nothing but mistimed power transfer(too late), and slip is the same in most cases, just too early on the power, but can be caused by other timing errors as well, too late on the grip power for example.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby ELItheICEman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Sounds like I need to give that a try. I may have tried it a few times in the past but without the proper timing.
ELItheICEman
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Lack of gripping power is a very real issue and that could come from total power or the thumb alone. You might have dry skin or too sweaty skin or subconscious protection of the arm by automatic reduction of gripping strength going on too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique