What About These Disc Weights

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What About These Disc Weights

Postby mgilbert » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 pm

In another category on this forum, I mentioned that I could not throw stable, overstable, or fast discs - only midrange, understable discs, such as Cobras and Stingrays. I also mentioned that I am 51 years old, and one of the posters recommended that I get some really light discs. Seems older players do have problems developing arm speed. I've ordered some, but also dug out a 162 gram Sidewinder, and found that I can throw it about 250', fairly straight, if I really concentrate on the throw.

So, I ordered a 125 gram Sidewinder, a 148 gram Latitude 64 Diamond, and a 155 gram Latitude 64 Pearl. Those were basically the lightest discs they had in understable discs that I felt I had a chance of being able to throw.

I would like some opinions on these choices, specifically the weights I've chosen.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: What About These Disc Weights

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 pm

mgilbert wrote:In another category on this forum, I mentioned that I could not throw stable, overstable, or fast discs - only midrange, understable discs, such as Cobras and Stingrays. I also mentioned that I am 51 years old, and one of the posters recommended that I get some really light discs. Seems older players do have problems developing arm speed. I've ordered some, but also dug out a 162 gram Sidewinder, and found that I can throw it about 250', fairly straight, if I really concentrate on the throw.

So, I ordered a 125 gram Sidewinder, a 148 gram Latitude 64 Diamond, and a 155 gram Latitude 64 Pearl. Those were basically the lightest discs they had in understable discs that I felt I had a chance of being able to throw.

I would like some opinions on these choices, specifically the weights I've chosen.

A disc is not good or bad depending on its weight or model or color or plastic blend, etc. It depends on whether it works for you for particular shots.

Just because you cannot control a heavy or overstable disc today does not mean you cannot throw it in the future. As you gain experience and form and power all your discs will fly differently because you will develop into a different and better player.

You are only 51 year old. You are not dead yet. You are an athletic big guy. Do not underestimate your potential. Controlling a disc is more about form than raw power. So try new stuff for sure. But some of those old discs you have banned to the trunk still hold promise.

Understable discs may glide better but fight wind worse. And a few feet of greater distance may be a poor trade off for less control. So keep an open mind and keep on experimenting.

Find every good player you can and seek advice and tips. Join leagues and tournaments. Eat your vegetables. Think pure thoughts. When in doubt throw Discraft. :lol:
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby mgilbert » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks Mark. I do have a few Discraft discs. I've found that one good tree hit with the Pro D plastic pretty much ruins the disc, but I like the Titanium plastic. I just need lighter discs, until I get to where I can control them. I used to fly a lot - and I avoided the wind. I do the same thing with disc golf - too much wind, and I don't bother - so lighter discs will work fine for now. And I have watched many of your videos. Thanks for those!
mgilbert
Noob

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:04 am

mgilbert wrote:Thanks Mark. I do have a few Discraft discs. I've found that one good tree hit with the Pro D plastic pretty much ruins the disc, but I like the Titanium plastic. I just need lighter discs, until I get to where I can control them. I used to fly a lot - and I avoided the wind. I do the same thing with disc golf - too much wind, and I don't bother - so lighter discs will work fine for now. And I have watched many of your videos. Thanks for those!

Thanks for your thanks.

D plastic gets better with age. Heck, all plastic gets better with age. :D The Magnet and Rattler which get the most use in my bag are severely beat up and they keep getting better. Don't give up on a disc which gets gouged or scuffed.

I recently lost a favorite Buzzz. To break in a few new ones (replacements) for the lost disc I played roller games and skips in a parking lot for an hour. Talk about gouges! Are the discs ruined? Heck no. I sanded them smooth and they are better (more useful) than new.

Wind is a great teacher. Any flaw in your shot gets exaggerated. Wind teaches you to throw flat and smooth, which makes you throw better in calm conditions too.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby mgilbert » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:07 am

Mark, what I ran into with the Pro D plastic wasn't gouges, cuts, and scratches - I know those make a disc more understable. What I found is that the disc would warp, and you'd have to twist it to get it flat again! The other Discraft discs I have are made of the "better" plastics. Those don't warp.
mgilbert
Noob

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:10 am

mgilbert wrote:Mark, what I ran into with the Pro D plastic wasn't gouges, cuts, and scratches - I know those make a disc more understable. What I found is that the disc would warp, and you'd have to twist it to get it flat again! The other Discraft discs I have are made of the "better" plastics. Those don't warp.

Warping is not a problem either. Btw, any plastic will warp eventually.

Smash a tree. The disc tacos. Bend it back into shape. Play on.

Look in the bags of veteran players. The oldest discs, the ones which have been there for years, won't win any beauty contests. They just fly great.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby mgilbert » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 am

Oh OK. Thanks, Mark. I appreciate your advice and support. I'm sure everyone else does, too.
mgilbert
Noob

Return to Equipment