stability question for distance discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

stability question for distance discs

Postby limonsock » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 pm

I recently started throwing an SFD Jackal. Sometimes (especially when it was brand new and had more fade) I can throw this disc nearly as far as I throw my bosses, and PD's, which has been around 400-420' compared to 400-450+ on a good boss toss. Does this mean that logically throwing something more understable but faster such as a flow should help me gain more distance? farthest tosses Ive thrown have been with nukes and katanas but i'm a bit inconsistent with these, and the success with the fd gives me confidence in smaller rimmed discs that fly faster than the jackal.

Also thinking about a cfd with hopes that it will keep the fade that the s line had before deflashing
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Re: stability question for distance discs

Postby keltik » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 am

my biggest throws have almost always come from flippier molds. My best throws have come from either a Valkyrie or a beat up X Avenger (not SS).

First you have to consider the discs' design intent. For most fast drivers the intent was to give added distance (at least that's how they are marketed). you could also argue that you get the same distance as before but on a lower line. the trade off for this is as always a bigger skip at the end if you aren't throwing very hard, increased nose angle sensitivity, wider rim being more difficult to grip. The faster the disc, the better your form and timing has to be in order to get the most out of the disc. The speed 9 & 10 discs seem to have hit that sweet spot of controllability and distance potential.

Just keep in mind the question Barry Schultz asked once upon a time: "are you a golfer or are you a thrower?"
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 am

I play a few holes that are open and in the 310 to 340 range, so it's easy to keep track of how far I throw stuff. Being new to the sport, I've been going through lots of discs. So far, the only thing that seems to win out more than anything else is a Blizz Destroyer.

I tell you that to tell you this. After a particularly bad throw on one of these holes last week, I pulled out a Dx Archangel. Yes, a super flippy much hated disc. I started it out dead at the hole with some hyzer. Flipped it to flat and watched it try very hard to turn, but just never really did. Finished with just a little fade. Easily as long as anything else I've thrown other than that Blizz destro. A speed 8 disc.

For me, something flippy for my speed is generally going to produce my longest throws. I can, from time to time, throw something overstable for my speed with anny, and have it flex out really long. Two problems with that though. I am not good at it, so it's not a high percentage throw. Second, it uses up a lot of space to do all that flying.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JHern » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 pm

If a disc flexes out of its glide-line, it will obviously limit its distance potential (hyzer limited flight). You always get way more distance by flipping a disc over from hyzer, and turning through a high apex, with a tailwind over the left shoulder, etc., etc.. This is how the max distance throwing style works for the big guns, and the physics is the same for you, too.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Equipment