Stuck in the 300' to 350' range

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stuck in the 300' to 350' range

Postby GimpArm » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:27 pm

I've been playing for over a decade, then I took about 2 years off due to moving to an area without any courses. A new one was built and I've been getting back into playing regularly but I seem to be stuck in the 300' to 350' range, although I can throw 300' pretty consistently and straight but I feel like I should be able to break at least 400'

After watching my video I think maybe I'm leaning too far back but I'd like some feed back.
Sorry about the angles, I couldn't find a decent way to prop up my cell phone while I made the video so there's about 5 throws from each angle, each throw has a normal speed and then a slow motion. Might want to just skip ahead of an angle is bad and if I should take a video from a different direction for a better view just let me know and I'll try to do it.

GimpArm
Noob

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Re: Stuck in the 300' to 350' range

Postby seabas22 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Yes you lean too far back out of posture and your balance is behind your heels and get stuck weight back. You hit the top of your backswing early and lose acceleration. Stay off the rear heel and stay in a good athletic posture.

Check this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24009
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby GimpArm » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks for the tips, I tried them out today but I didn't see any improvement but I'll keep working on it. I'm not clear on how to get off my heels, am I just supposed to stay on my toes and try to lean forward more? Can you give me an example of how my posture should be? As for the backswing too early, what point should I be moving my arm back? I try to bring my arm back as I'm coming out of my x-step and start the forward action when I plan my leg. Am I really far off on the timing or is it just slight?
GimpArm
Noob

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby JHern » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:46 pm

Seems like you're firing a little early, a but of strong-arming, instead let the start of your pull lag just a little longer, and remember to stay loose and let your arm be a whip.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JHern » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:46 pm

JHern wrote:Seems like you're firing a little early, a bit of strong-arming, instead let the start of your pull lag just a little longer, and remember to stay loose and let your arm be a whip. Let your shoulder lead the pull.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 pm

The arm starts low in the reach back and ends up high too making matters worse than just being weight back. Your right leg raises toward the target from the hip joint during the plant step before the plant. That makes the plant step too long making it harder to get the weight forward because it takes time to plant and more power to shift the weight than with a shorter step. So the plant step must be shorter easily by a foot and no raising of the leg from the hip. You aren't supposed to kick at the target.

The x step is so long that you need to wait until the left leg pushes to get you weight forward. As it is your speed back to front from the momentum of the steps was so high that the left leg push was slower. Your left knee was a little bent after pushing but it was too slow too early so the left side of the shoe dragged on the ground. So you need either slower steps or a later starting faster left leg push to get the weight shifted forward. I'd read up on the term pause.

Most people reach the farthest point of the reach back between just before the plant step planting and a hair later than the plant. You were pretty early in reaching back the most. It might not be a terrible thing though because that reach back still stretches the muscles so a part of the power will turn you toward the target. Not all power from a maximum reach back ramming your limit of movement range rebounding back from that. But for most trying to do that is maximizing power going back spending all the brain processing power to that never giving sharp enough of a late acceleration _forward_.

There are different things you can try. One is to eliminate the run up, another taking slower first steps and taking shorter steps or trying the pivot hop step or a hybrid where you take a regular x step and follow through with the Feldy kick. Making the left leg push later is a must. Taking a follow through step too from such a high speed. It adds power, consistency and injury protection. You also have to tighten up the lower back and stomach muscles enough to stop you from leaning to the right from the hips with the torso in the follow through. That off axis torques the disc to anny and wobbly robbing distance and killing accuracy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique