Grip - Thumb pad

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip - Thumb pad

Postby luma » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 am

I have stumbled onto this video:

Since then, every now and then I have tried to see how the guys on every YouTube DG round (DG monthly, Icgm and so on) grip their disc.

The trouble is not about the underside and what finger to put where. The "problem" or let's say what confuses me is the way Nate (and some others I found) hold the disc with their thumb. The only press down with the head of the thumb and don't even touch the disc with the thumb pad. When I hold the disc, my thumb pad is a big part of the grip (just as I learned it from that awesome site discgolfreview.com, if anybody knows it :) ). I don't know, is it just a power grip that minimizes drag on the disc during release and lets it go 15' further or does it make sense for other shots too?
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Re: Grip - Thumb pad

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 am

I think there are positives to both methods. It is probably more of a matter of preference based on your physical attributes. I would try both and see what works best for you.

I have been going back and forth on this recently. Its easier to get the nose down with the hitchhiker thumb method but I have found that, on humid days, I can't get any forward thumb pressure without having my thumb slip forward.

Blake talked about the differences of both methods here... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17581#p266780
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby luma » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 am

Awesome, thank you!
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Postby JR » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 pm

I think people might get different results with different grips based on what their grip power limiting factor is. I have very dry super slick skin and i suffer from early and micro slips. For me a two finger power grip is normally enough to not have slips all the time but i do have them if i start with a loose grip maximizing arm speed. I do get left slips so that grip is not perfect by any means with my current health that has a lot of variance from day to day regarding among other things grip pinch power. For me avoiding slips is easiest with the base of the thumb lying on the top of the disc with the thumb tilting down like with Avery, Val and Nate on that video. I get the best of both worlds for adding gripping tightness but a stronger person might not need extra gripping power because they might get a full disc pivot without the possible drag of the base of the thumb on top of the flight plate. I imagine it is a slight percentage of players who get a full disc pivot. So YMMV and each way needs to be tested for distance and slipping rate. It does not hurt to train for strong fingers and hand.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique