Champ/Star/Z equivalent of Cheetah?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:05 am

yeah, if you went all the way to half between the JLS and CHamp Teebird, you would have more fade than youre looking for. Z XLs are one of my fav drivers for premium plastic.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:56 am

x xl sounds right; I was thinking maybe the z xs.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adamschneider » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:57 pm

Well, I got a 166g Z XL today, and it's a damn nice disc, so thanks to all for the recommendations.

It's very similar to my friend's Star TL, but for some reason I have better luck throwing the XL (and he feels the opposite -- different strokes, I guess). It goes a little to the right if thrown at full power, but mostly just nice and straight with none of that hard TeeBird fade. Interestingly, the disc I find it most similar to is my Z Buzzz, although the XL is a little faster and I can throw it a little farther than the Buzzz.

For controlled (non-max-distance) drives, here's what I envision using in the near future:
* 250-300 feet: Champ TeeBird
* 150-250 feet: Z XL
* 75-200 feet: Z Buzzz
* 50-100 feet, or shortish right turns: Z Breeze

By the way, I also picked up a 150 Flick, because I just find it sort of amusing. :)
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby mothrows » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:46 pm

How do you like the 150 flick? I almost bought it the other day for the same reason.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby adamschneider » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:29 am

mothrows wrote:How do you like the 150 flick? I almost bought it the other day for the same reason.

Well, it's pretty much what you'd expect if you throw it flat or with hyzer: fast as hell, and just keeps going left. Thrown full-strength backhand with a little bit of anhyzer, it goes a long way, provided it has enough height to finish its s-curve.

What surprised me was that when thrown forehand with almost any amount of anhyzer, it stayed left and didn't come back much. I guess that's due to the fact that it's only 150g.

As a tomahawk, it barely turned at all, even thrown hard; it landed more-or-less upside-down after turning just 90° clockwise.

I think it'll be an interesting disc to have, since I don't really have anything like it. (I'm not terribly fond of my Firebird except as a forehand roller.)
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

flick

Postby twmccoy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:17 pm

I use flicks for full power backhand drives on shorter holes where a wraith is too much disc. The flick is very predictable and will carve right through headwinds. If you have the arm, this disc can be ripped flat and it will actually hold the line nicely.

BTW, I've found that heavier flicks are actually better than the 150's. They seem a bit less stable.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:37 pm

adamschneider wrote:Really? I'm not saying you're wrong, but on both the Marshall Street and GGGT "flight charts," JLS is listed as a notch slower than the XL.

By the way, does anyone know if there's a big difference in flight characteristics between JLS and QJLS? (It is like Pro vs. Champ?)

the GGGT flight chart has no mention of speed. if the XL and JLS were rated under innova's systems the XL would likely be a 6 to 6.5 while the JLS would be like a 7.5

there are big differences in flight characteristics between the JLS and Q JLS.

if i had a dime for every time someone found their "magic disc" and then wanted the exact same magic disc in a different plastic i'd have at least $50 :P
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: Champ/Star/Z equivalent of Cheetah?

Postby logjammin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 am

Just got a Star Cheetah from the factory store. I threw it in the driveway a few times, and it seems to fade more than a brand new DX cheetah. That seems to be what people say about star plastic vs DX. This is the first time I've been able to compare the same model of disc made with 2 different kinds of plastic.

My "magic disc" for years was a brand new DX cheetah. I've nearly given up on DX plastic, because fuck that shit where I hit a tree 2 or 3 times and then my disc flies unpredictably.

My new favorites, in the more durable plastics, are: Valkyrie, Teebird, TL, Polaris LS, Leopard, Monarch, Cyclone (although Discraft's plastic doesn't seem as durable as innova's).
logjammin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cheetah

Postby linkinparkervii » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 am

logjammin wrote:Just got a Star Cheetah from the factory store. I threw it in the driveway a few times, and it seems to fade more than a brand new DX cheetah. That seems to be what people say about star plastic vs DX. This is the first time I've been able to compare the same model of disc made with 2 different kinds of plastic.

My "magic disc" for years was a brand new DX cheetah. I've nearly given up on DX plastic, because fuck that shit where I hit a tree 2 or 3 times and then my disc flies unpredictably.

My new favorites, in the more durable plastics, are: Valkyrie, Teebird, TL, Polaris LS, Leopard, Monarch, Cyclone (although Discraft's plastic doesn't seem as durable as innova's).

Holy thread revival batman!!
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby logjammin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Huh? Anyway, I think the Star Cheetahs from the factory store are not as durable as most star discs are. Same with the Champion Cheetahs. They can take more pounding than a DX Cheetah, but not as much as I'd expect from the premium plastic.
logjammin
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 am

You should change your username to RipVanWinkle. He was referring to your revival of a five year old thread.

I've never thrown a Cheetah. Does it have a thin nose making it more vulnerable to trees, stones, concrete, etc?
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby logjammin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:40 pm

No, not extremely thin. You can see a closeup of it on the Innova website.
logjammin
Noob

Postby money 21 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 am

i would switch to pls the come in 3 plastics and are very similar to cheetahs.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Previous

Return to Equipment